Jeep Recall

pghlooking

I just saw an announcement somewhere that i can't remember, that Jeep has a recall on their wranglers. Curiously it only applies to the yellow ones and they are supposedly die cast. Apparently there is a problem with their engines that will causse them to stall out in the hands of whomever is driving them. The recall states to have them fixed immediately due to a serious chance of bothering your conscious. Do not hesiate. To have "your" Jeep looked at, please place it in the nearest cache to you, add to your watchlist, and enjoy the fun of seeing where it ends up once it has been repaired. This has been service bulletin YJTB#1.

Edited by pghlooking

I have a Yellow Jeep that stalled out and is sitting permanently on my computer desk as part of my personal collection. I replaced it with a White Jeep Cherokee that looks like the one I drive and sent it on it’s way. It too has stalled out somewhere. So I guess its not only Yellow Jeeps that stall out.

Team Sand Dollar

I placed one in a cache in RI, only to have the cache go AWOL. I can't be held responsible for that one.

The other, I keep in my inventory in case the person who has it tries to log it. You see, that one went Grand Theft Auto. Someone broke into my car while I was caching and stole my purse with the jeep in it! I got the purse back from the cops within days, and the wallet months later, returned by the hikers how found it. . So it turned into a good story, but things went missing I really wanted, like my YJTB, and my battery charger! :o

I have a Yellow Jeep that stalled out and is sitting permanently on my computer desk as part of my personal collection. I replaced it with a White Jeep Cherokee that looks like the one I drive and sent it on it’s way.

So let me get this straight. You took a travel bug owned by someone else, removed their hitchhiker, replaced it with one you decided they would like, and re-released it? This is called theft in some places. I wonder what GC.com and the community in general thinks of this. I thought i saw elsewhere that you could be banned permantly for actions just like those. At the very least, you aren't embarassed by doing this? You took property owned by someone else without their permission. Then you bragged about it?? Sure sounds like a fun family experience for all involved. Thank you for teaching everyone, including the kids that are playing the game, that it is ok to put your wants and wishes above other people and to steal something as long as you replace it with something you feel isn't as worthy to be kept in your personal collection.

This post started out to be funny and laugh at all the people who felt the need to keep a diecast car instead of letting it travel around letting others log it and find it like the game was set up to be played. I had no clue it would evolve into this. But then again i had no clue that someone would go to such lengths to steal a car....a diecast one.

I think the thing is, these aren't really owned by a person (at least I don't think they are anyways), so we're getting in to a bit of a hazy area as far as morality is concerned. The question is, would Jeep mind? Probably not. My feeling, reading the note he wrote was that there was no ill-intent involved, just something along the lines of "Hey this would be kind of neat". He made that little yellow Jeep TB unique, and gave someone a bit of a "what the heck?" moment when they found. I read other logs where people painted the Jeeps with Zebra stripes, but I personally wouldn't call it vandelism.

Anyways, back on the original topic, you gave me a good laugh :P .

Unfortunately, it is not only the yellow Jeeps that seem to vanish. TBs have always, and will undoubtedly continue to be items that some people think are too cool to pass on to the next cacher. That is the chance everyone that releases a TB takes. I personally have had several go AWOL. I would have liked to see them travel more, but it does not change my overall attitude toward TBs or the people that pass them on freely, or even the people that think they are too cool to give up.

Enjoy the Adventures, and dont sweat the bumps involved

Gary and Mary

Ya know, I kept the tracking numbers from the jeeps I found. Maybe I should make up some new tags for the missing ones.  :P

I wouldn't do that. I have been holding one for a couple months now. I plan to put it in my first cache that I hope to place later this year when all the snow melts and I get the chance to get it placed.

Some people hold them for various reasons, duplicating #'s would only cause confusion if they were released later on.

I have a Yellow Jeep that stalled out and is sitting permanently on my computer desk as part of my personal collection.  I replaced it with a White Jeep Cherokee that looks like the one I drive and sent it on it’s way.

So let me get this straight. You took a travel bug owned by someone else, removed their hitchhiker, replaced it with one you decided they would like, and re-released it? This is called theft in some places. I wonder what GC.com and the community in general thinks of this.

I think that if I said everything that I wanted to say to this person that my posts would be moderated before they'd show up.

Do me a favor, TSD, don't EVER touch one of my travel bugs. I don't care if it sits at the gates of hell and you're the only one that can help it along.

But please, do let me know if you release any so that I can tamper with them as much as possible.

I think the thing is, these aren't really owned by a person (at least I don't think they are anyways), so we're getting in to a bit of a hazy area as far as morality is concerned. The question is, would Jeep mind? Probably not.

Considering how much money Jeep paid Groundspeak to have that promotion, I'd say they'd mind quite a bit. Think about it this way. A travel bug tag costs you at least $4.25 plus the item to put on the bug. Lets say $6.00 to keep the number round and count in sales tax. So Jeep spent at least that much on the travel bugs - probably plus an advertising fee to do this promotion... 5000 Travel bugs at $6 each is $30,000. I think they mind.

Personally I wouldn't do it. I'm just trying to climb inside TSD's head for a minute to understand why it might be deemed acceptable to some people. The purpose of the promotion was obviously to get people to buy Jeeps (duh), not really for us all to have fun chasing travel bugs (still haven't seen one up here :P). Their goals as a corporation are very different from those of the average travel bug owner.

So if I put a Yellow die cast YJ on my computer, every time I look at my computer, I'm looking at a cool Jeep. When it comes time for me to buy a new car, I might just think that it would be nice to own a full scale one of them, and buy the real thing. That is the point of the promotion, to get you thinking about Jeeps. Now if someone sees a White Cherokee on a TB chain, they might notice that it isn't 'standard' so to speak, and look really close at it, and maybe notice the Cherokee when they go out looking, and maybe look in to the real thing closer than they might otherwise have looked.

I don't know what a new Jeep costs, but I would imagine if they only sold half a dozen extra as a result of the promotion, then it would be well worth it.

Now if he'd replaced it with a Ford Truck on the other hand, then I'd say Jeep would probably mind :).

Not familiar with APE.

Yellow jeep isn't supported for the long term, as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure why I should expect to continue to log them.

I do think I'm bored with all this...(and I do mean all).. so.... Bye!

Edited by BlueDeuce

I just look at the whole situation as this is something that is owned in one way or another. No individual has the right to do what was done and is done by many others.

As far as your point about seeing the Jeep abnd then buying one down the road since it is imbeded into your memory, i can see where some people mnight do this. Might even be the main reason behind the TB's in the first place. But if this is how everyone plays the game , or we allow it, then only 5,000 people worldwide will be reached. I think Jeep would rather them travel and have people actively seeking them. This makes them in your mind as well and reaches a much wider group than the mere 5,000 collectors.

As far as replacing this with a different Jeep. It will show up in a cache as a YJTB since it has that number. Now people will flock to that cache to find it, only to not find it and leave this one behind since they are trying to get the ever allusively YJTB. So indirectly some people will be on a wild goose chase because someone put themselves first.

As i said before this was started to be funny about the ones who have, in my opinion, stolen the Jeeps. Maybe indirectly this will encourage a few others holding them, to release them for others to have fun too.

Why? You can still log Project APE caches, so why not YJTBs?

Im missing part of what was said, but its interesting to compare yellow jeeps and APE caches. company shows up, sets things up, promotes for a while and then apperently drops off the edge of the earth. (not really, but caching wise... I don't you would get much response from them in another 6months or year) Does this mean they're abandoned and we can do whatever we want with them?

Those APE caches that are still around have been tended by volunteers, not FOX. Of course TBs don't need new log books and checked after DNFs... (Actually I think thats why GSP steered them off of cache placing. Not tending your placments is frowned upon, so you can imgine the rath GSP could see for letting someone special do it).

Hmm... maybe I can find a wet and soggy jeep and claim it as my own? :rolleyes:

I have a Yellow Jeep that stalled out and is sitting permanently on my computer desk as part of my personal collection.

I wonder what GC.com and the community in general thinks of this.

Do me a favor, TSD, don't EVER touch one of my travel bugs. I don't care if it sits at the gates of hell and you're the only one that can help it along.

Dag,

“I thought you were joking”!

Yupp you fired up the pose!

Head for the hills, and don’t look back!

Who would publicly come and announce, “they stole something”.

I'm glad, I went to check your profile page, and found out you've released all 15 jeeps that you got to handle.

Lucky you, most haven’t seen any let alone handled them.

BTW:

If you ever get to handle my tb’s Thanks in advance for moving them on!

You’ve done a great job moving the TB’s in your area. I hope to hit that number someday.

You’re my kind of Cacher. Chain Yanker ! ROTFLMAO

SF1

Edited by SF1 -- lost a quote link.

Edited by strikeforce1

Who would publicly come and announce, “they stole something”.

I'm glad, I went to check your profile page, and found out you've released all 15 jeeps that you got to handle.

Lucky you, most haven’t seen any let alone handled them.

Well, if the travel bug is just the tag, then yes, he did release them all. But he kept one of the yellow jeeps (sending out the tag with a different type of toy Jeep). Check the logs for Jeep # 1443.

...you've released all 15 jeeps that you got to handle.

If you'll reread his post, you'll see he kept the Yellow Jeep hitchhiker and replaced with a White Cherokee. The tag went back out. Check the gallery.

I wonder if any of MY missing bugs are sitting in someone's personal collection :rolleyes:

What makes this even worse is the fact that this was done DURING the contest. He was the first person to even find the yellow Jeep and took it right away. It isn't about how the 3 people who found this other Jeep afterwards felt about it. There will always be a handful that accept anythig and everything without looking at the bigger picture. Wrong is wrong. Do you think he might realize it now? I haven't seen his response since bragging about it.

As far as the APE cache comparison. Fox was the owner and cachers maintained until they were adopted. The difference being Jeep still owns these. If someone joined and their only way of playing the game was releasing TBs, what else would they be required to do? If this was owned by Joe Schmoe and he released 5,000 VW Bgs, would you still agree it was ok to change the item at will? I know if they were mine i would be really md that someone had the audacity to take something that wasn't theirs. What if i have a nice painted ammo can out in the woods and someone really liked it and changed it out with a basic ammo can. The "It still an ammo can" defense works but is not really the point.

This was a very cool sub-game but really after this , how many other corporations will do anything like it again? If they go to GC.com and ask how many are still active after less than a year only to find that less than 10% have any known movement (just a quess and i am sure its high), wuold you spend your thousands of dollars doing this? I know i wouldn't.

...how many other corporations will do anything like it again? If they go to GC.com and ask how many are still active after less than a year only to find that less than 10% have any known movement (just a quess and i am sure its high), wuold you spend your thousands of dollars doing this? I know i wouldn't.

Good question. I'll take a stab at answering you. All promotions are temporary. It's the very nature of the beast. Does jeep care what happens after the promotion is over? I don't know. For all I know they will pull the plug on their associated website one of these days and say "Whoever finds a jeep can keep it now, this promotion is over".

What it comes down to is what they get out of it. The yellow jeep is now a Cultural Icon thanks to a single cache. The TB's picked up on that. Jeep is very often considered when geocachers realize they like going exploring and that means trails and 4x4.

Jeep may very well repeat this in the future. Or maybe they will do a variation. Any company that thinks they could do a promo that generates enough interest will do it again. If they do they also know that they will create keepsakes if they create the TB's. Jeep probably knew this going in, and I would not be suprised if they were not warned in advance.

There are a lot more companies that could use geocaching promotions as a way to advertise their business. ATV makers, Outdoor Gear Makers, and so on.

...1159 have never been logged...

That's interesting. The ones I logged when I released them were the ones I placed directly into a cache. That was 1. All the rest I sent to other cachers (unlogged) located in the cities that I wanted to use as a base of distribution to even out the overall state distribution. That was 79 of them.

I trust the people I sent them too, but if everyone did the same (some probably did and some probably didn't) that's a lot of bugs that were handed off to be placed and never made it.

So let me get this straight. You took a travel bug owned by someone else, removed their hitchhiker, replaced it with one you decided they would like, and re-released it?

I found a TB called "Wicked Witch of the West". But the hitchhiker was a cute doggy wearing a sweater. I got home to log it, and sure enough, the owner's pic was of a fearsome witch. At some point somebody had completely changed the entire them. Mind you, the doggy was cute...

If anyone out there has one of the 1100+ Jeeps that haven't moved yet, please feel free to mail them to me ! I'm organising an event in May and YJTBs here in Europe are as rare as a decent cup of tea in the US ;)

If you'll reread his post, you'll see he kept the Yellow Jeep hitchhiker and replaced with a White Cherokee. The tag went back out. Check the gallery.

I wonder if any of MY missing bugs are sitting in someone's personal collection  :)

Somehow, I misread that jeep post, when checking his tb logs.

Thanks for the re-direct and the point out thc and 7.

Now I sit here, with egg dripping down my face.

Dag, I hate when that happens.

I’m just glad it’s not too often.

I should go back and edit my log while I can. LOL

SF1

YJTBs here in Europe are as rare as a decent cup of tea in the US :)

Noticed that! My brother took a Jeep from Seattle, and put it in a cache in Vienna. He almost caused a stampede! It was picked up very quickly.

I was even watching your brother´s movement in Europe, ´cause I know he will bring one here :) . But he did not left in Prague and put in in Vienna instead :D

Considering how much money Jeep paid Groundspeak to have that promotion, I'd say they'd mind quite a bit. Think about it this way. A travel bug tag costs you at least $4.25 plus the item to put on the bug. Lets say $6.00 to keep the number round and count in sales tax. So Jeep spent at least that much on the travel bugs - probably plus an advertising fee to do this promotion... 5000 Travel bugs at $6 each is $30,000. I think they mind.

Considering that the tags were custom made for the promotion, I doubt that stamping and printing 5000 strips of aluminum cost anywhere near $4 apiece. I certainly wouldn't pay that much. They probably got a pretty good deal on the Jeeps too.

Well, if its a Jeep TB you want, dont come to my home state..........

7th son  .. . . . .

. . ..

5001 in existance

314 have been logged this month so far

1908 have 0 miles

1159 have never been logged

749 logged with 0 miles

I'd like to see some state by state comparisons, if that was possible

Many seemed concerned with my modification to the JEEP travel bug. First I started with a YJTB that had not been circulated yet so it would not mess with one someone else had started. And I got it from an approver with full knowledge of what I was intending to do. Plus it was well received within the Michigan organization.

Many of the Jeeps have been modified and I have one right now with a kayak attached to it which I did not modified and will be moving along shortly.

So knowing the original Yellow Jeep (Team Wyle E) and having driven up to him at at caches with my White Jeep Cherokee I just wanted to make one more personal. So I replaced the yellow jeep with a White Jeep Cherokee painted to look like the one I drive, added a tag that said "Yellow Jeep Replacement" on one of my wooden nickels and sent it on its way.

74b322b2-b361-41cb-a5f3-6cf47f8db2ba.jpg

06241805-c4ad-4c47-9793-01dd75c29da3.jpg

Now Lets see what other modifications have been made.

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar
Many seemed concerned with my modification to the JEEP travel bug. First I started with a YJTB that had not been circulated yet so it would not mess with one someone else had started. And I got it from an approver with full knowledge of what I was intending to do. Plus it was well received within the Michigan organization.

Many of the Jeeps have been modified and I have one right now with a kayak attached to it which I did not modified and will be moving along shortly.

So knowing the original Yellow Jeep (Team Wyle E) and having driven up to him at at caches with my White Jeep Cherokee I just wanted to make one more personal. So I replaced the yellow jeep with a White Jeep Cherokee painted to look like the one I drive, added a tag that said "Yellow Jeep Replacement" on one of my wooden nickels and sent it on its way.

74b322b2-b361-41cb-a5f3-6cf47f8db2ba.jpg

06241805-c4ad-4c47-9793-01dd75c29da3.jpg

Now Lets see what other modifications have been made.

Team Sand Dollar

So it is ok to "modify" something that is someone elses' without their permission, that is at the bgining of a national contest, as long as it hasn't begun yet? But of course this was you being considerate so as not to mess with one someone else had started. Not really sure i understand since it was JEEP that started this by planning, acquiring, distributing (albeit through volunteers) the jeep you so graciously "modified". You appear to make the assertion that you got permission or at the very least approval from an approver to do this? I doubt very highly that any approver, knowing the rules of the game and the integrity that they have been come to be known by, would think this was perfectly acceptable actions of a lone cacher. Approvers know even better than the general cacher that to "modify" or Remove a hitchiker from a tb without permission from the owner, or not specificlly the goal of the tb, is without question wrong. I don't believe this to be true at all. As far being received well in the MI group. Once again, this is not about who thinks this is acceptable. It is clearly against the guidlines. A few people accepting of this to you personally does not make this right. Surely you don't think your wants over ride the wants of Jeep. Some people say they done't consider these TB's since they were in a promotion and such. It is not for us to decide whether they are or not. If they are listed as such and trackable as such, then they are TB's. Until TPTB come out and say "these are no longer tb's so go collect the," then they are to remain in motion. If this doesn't clear it up to you then i don't know if anything will.

wow, this is getting a little crazy. :(

Jeep presented gc.com with 5001 Jeeps, this, I believe would be an investment (people DO lose out on investments) I sincerely doubt that Jeep gave a crap if half of them made it....in fact they'd have been jumping up and down if half of them made it. What's the initial cost per piece here, like 15 cents for the diecast and 10 cents for the tag...so about 25 cents ?? That's about 1250 bucks, let's be generous and say 2 grand. I'd be more POed that the 3 real Jeep vehicles they gave away were awarded to people that might not be geocachers at all. (I dunno who won or if they are cachers)

I read everything in the forums when the idea was first introduced last summer and the initial idea was for Jeep to "own" and release 4000 Jeeps, there were an additional 1000 made becasue they KNEW that many would stall in private collections. Plus there's Jeremy's personal Jeep, the 5001st......hmm, should HE be allowed to keep one ??

I "ordered" the Jeeps for distribution to my local caching club. We received 40 of them in the mail. I logged each of them into our clubs account as a starting point. What I found was that there was a duplicate. That's right 2 Jeeps with the same number. I emailed TPTB at gc.com and by gosh do you know what the response I got was ??? They said to KEEP the dupe as a souvenir. *GASP* a souvenir....wow, amazing eh ?? So there were only 5000 numbers (or less if this happened elsewhere) to begin with.

I don't see Moun10Bike whining about some (or a lot) of cachers keeping his geocoins, he has to know that's gonna happen, they have become a geocaching icon. Yet he still let's them out into the world and orders more....and those are close to 5 bucks a piece.

This stuff happens. It was an advertising promotion. If a PERSON spent their money and set out 5000 items then I think this discussion would contain merit in regards to whether it was ethical to keep one or not.

Thank you :(

What I found was that there was a duplicate. That's right 2 Jeeps with the same number. I emailed TPTB at gc.com and by gosh do you know what the response I got was ??? They said to KEEP the dupe as a souvenir. *GASP* a souvenir....wow, amazing eh ?? So there were only 5000 numbers (or less if this happened elsewhere) to begin with.

I don't see Moun10Bike whining about some (or a lot) of cachers keeping his geocoins, he has to know that's gonna happen, they have become a geocaching icon.

Congrats on playing by the rules, asking what to do, and obtaining their permission before you made the decision to keep something that wasn't yours. thats the whole point of this. would you have done it with a jeep that wasn't a dupe? From your tone No i don't think so. Would you have taken the item and replaced it with something you didn't want? I doubt it. This is the whole point that was trying to be made. Some people play by the rules and others could care less. Doesnt everyone have the right to trty to log a jeep? I have so this isn't about me. But for the people who have tried to and failed because someone thinks their collection is moe important, is that a way to play?

As far as the M10Bike coins.This is apples and oranges. The goal of his clearly states that they can be moved or kept. So keeping one isn't even the same thing. You have the owners permission.

I also think you might be slightly off on your prices but i don't have the facts on that so i won't comment on it.

Would you have taken the item and replaced it with something you didn't want?

Replacing the Yellow Jeep with a White Jeep was not just a spur of the moment effort. First I discussed it quite a bit with other cachers before deciding to go ahead with it. I did not receive even on negative response about doing this. I fact other cachers where helping me locate a die-cast Jeep Cherokee to use as a replacement.

Finding the Jeep I used took a while and then it was purple. Then I had to aquire an uncirculated Jeep as to not disturb one that was already in play.

Next I needed to prepare the Jeep to look more like the one I own. So I took it apart, painted it, put it back together and attached the tag.

For its initial release I took it to an event where it was well received. Never did I envision that the switch would be so upsetting. And I truly beleive that the owner of these Jeep TB would not be either. Also with the stalling of so many Jeeps I thought this one might last a little longer since it was not one of the standard YJTB but atlast it too stalled out quite quickly.

Maybe i I had actually attached it with "...something you didn't want? " and did not try and make it as nice as I did it might have lasted longer.

As disturbing as this thread has been to me I have sent an email to the owner to get thier felling on the matter. Hopefully I will get some responce.

Team Sand Dollar

OK so you talked to your friends who gave their approval, you spent lots of time doing this, but does it make it right? NO. Jeep put something out there for us to have fun with and you decided to change the game for your own personal pleasure. Why didn't you just release your own TB with a jeep on it? why did it have to be someone elses? I don't think everyone would ever be able to log a YJTB and i never did think this way. thats unrealistic. But they should have the chance to. You have lessened the chances just like many others. Others have realized what they did was wrong and released the ones they were holding. You can't since you replaced it with something else. Whether you can get ahold of anyone from Jeep or not doesnt matter at this point. You can't change it. As far as being uncirculated, i dont think this was part of the deal. Weren't all Jeeps shipped to people trusted with the proper disbursement and placing into caches? So in the simplest form you broke trust. I don't care whther this is a corporation or an individual. Shouldn't there be some level of fair play in a game like this where we are suppose to respect each other more than in the general public. So much of this is built on trust, leaving things alone for periods of time hoping someone wont take our cache and such. You repeatedly looking at the ends justifying the means. Jeep today is still telling you there are Jeeps out there and to look for them and log them. They are having a 2005 promotion. Are you going to take this one and keep it also? I would hope you would log and release and give someone else a chance to find them (as they were intended) this time around. Jeep Adventure

Wow, if this is your biggest worry you have a pretty good life. I find it very funny that you're getting all worked up about someone modifying a TB owned by a huge company that released 5000 of the dadgum things. If it was 100 maybe you would have a point. Once you can provide an email from the person at Jeep that approved the drop-in-a-company-bucket money for the jeeps stating that they care at all about them any more I'll listen without laughing.

TSD is not the only person to do this. There is a cacher in Cali famous for his purple jeep and changed several of them to a purple jeep. It didn't tick people off, it was funny and those were sought after in a way too.

It's a .50 toy that was part of a promotion. Everyone take a deep breath and go caching.

not getting worked up at all. Sorry if you took it that way. Yea i think its wrong to modify/replace any TB without permission first. Once you start where do you stop kind of thing. To me its about respecting someone else's property, whether its an individual or company. But the main reason this continued was TSD bragged about defacing this bug before the game even began. Now that is wrong and i just find it hard to believe that anyone thinks that is appropriate. I am sure the same things wil happen this year. I just hope that more people will get a chance to log them this go around.

not getting worked up at all. Sorry if you took it that way. Yea i think its wrong to modify/replace any TB without permission first. Once you start where do you stop kind of thing. To me its about respecting someone else's property, whether its an individual or company. But the main reason this continued was TSD bragged about defacing this bug before the game even began. Now that is wrong and i just find it hard to believe that anyone thinks that is appropriate. I am sure the same things wil happen this year. I just hope that more people will get a chance to log them this go around.

WHere did you come up with before the game began. This was the 6th YJTB I was able to get. The first 5 where moved on quickly but I did have 3 at once because I made the effor to find then. The one I modified was not released until 9/19 towards the end of the game and I did not get to much before I released it.

Second I could still be logged as a YJTB so I never removed it from the game. For that reason no one seemed upset with the change. And it wasn't just a bunch of friends that I asked thier opinion of. It included some approvers and those involved in the Michigan Geocaching Organization MIGO. I released it a a MIGO event so others could see it before I passed it on.

I think you would be more concerned with all the YJTB that never made it out at all whether modified or not. Many were modified, maybe not to the same extent but none the less modified.

As for not being able to find a YJTB. They are out there and they are quite easy to find if you just try.

And what would you really rather find. A bunch of yellow jeeps or a bunch the have been personalized to reflect those of us playing the game.

Team Sand Dollar

Edited by Team Sand Dollar
I have a Yellow Jeep that stalled out and is sitting permanently on my computer desk as part of my personal collection.  I replaced it with a White Jeep Cherokee that looks like the one I drive and sent it on it’s way.

So let me get this straight. You took a travel bug owned by someone else, removed their hitchhiker, replaced it with one you decided they would like, and re-released it? This is called theft in some places. I wonder what GC.com and the community in general thinks of this.

I think that if I said everything that I wanted to say to this person that my posts would be moderated before they'd show up.

But please, do let me know if you release any so that I can tamper with them as much as possible.

I think the thing is, these aren't really owned by a person (at least I don't think they are anyways), so we're getting in to a bit of a hazy area as far as morality is concerned. The question is, would Jeep mind? Probably not.

Sorry to tell you (well not really) but if one of your bugs end up at a cache I am at I will grab it.

But don't worry I won't modify it ... unless ...

you consider putting it in a plastic bag to protect it .. adding a tag to give information on where it wants to go if it doesn't have one .. or drilling a hole in it (with permission) to reattach the tag that has fall off and gotten separated modifying it.

And unlike many cachers I will move it on and not hold on to it for an indefinite time.

Plus if you really feel that you must make amend for my perceived transgressions please do it in the spirit of the game and be tasteful about it. There are kids out there and we do need to keep that in mind.

And do inform the others that have made modifications to the YJTB how you fell so maybe they won’t touch handle your bugs. Out of the other 14 YJTB I have grabbed 3 were also slightly modified.

I personally like to see how this commercialization of the game was given a more personal touch.

Team Sand Dollar

As for not being able to find a YJTB. They are out there and they are quite easy to find if you just try.

Depends on where abouts in the world you are. Some areas are Jeep rich, others are Jeep poor. I live in a Jeep poor area. By the fact that you found 15 of them, I'd surmise you live in a Jeep rich area. I doubt there is a single Yellow Jeep within 500km of me. (If you can find a way to search specifically for Yellow Jeeps in Canada, let me know, I'm very roughly at 51N 114W).

I doubt very much that 'everyone' will ever get a turn to see one (heck there only being some 5001 of them in existence, and there are HOW many people playing the game?), but it would be nice to keep the chances higher.

I have to admit, that although I have no real big problem with you modifying the YJTB you had, I would be awfully disapointed if it had shown up around here, and I'd made a special trip to get it, and then found a white Jeep Cherokee instead.

Here's a question for you, if I had found the Bug, and e-mailed you, and said I was really pretty disapointed not to find the YJTB attached, what would you have done? Anything? Nothing? Sounds like you put a lot of work in to working up your White Jeep, and I do agree, that in a Jeep rich area, it probably isn't such a big deal (in fact the personalization touch is kind of neat), but if you had been in Jeep Poor area, I imagine that the reaction you got probably would have been different.

As to still being able to log it as a YJTB, well that is beside the point, it isn't so much that people might want to log it, but rather that they want to see one.

As for not being able to find a YJTB.  They are out there and they are quite easy to find if you just try.

Depends on where abouts in the world you are. Some areas are Jeep rich, others are Jeep poor. I live in a Jeep poor area. By the fact that you found 15 of them, I'd surmise you live in a Jeep rich area. I doubt there is a single Yellow Jeep within 500km of me. (If you can find a way to search specifically for Yellow Jeeps in Canada, let me know, I'm very roughly at 51N 114W).

I doubt very much that 'everyone' will ever get a turn to see one (heck there only being some 5001 of them in existence, and there are HOW many people playing the game?), but it would be nice to keep the chances higher.

I have to admit, that although I have no real big problem with you modifying the YJTB you had, I would be awfully disapointed if it had shown up around here, and I'd made a special trip to get it, and then found a white Jeep Cherokee instead.

Here's a question for you, if I had found the Bug, and e-mailed you, and said I was really pretty disapointed not to find the YJTB attached, what would you have done? Anything? Nothing? Sounds like you put a lot of work in to working up your White Jeep, and I do agree, that in a Jeep rich area, it probably isn't such a big deal (in fact the personalization touch is kind of neat), but if you had been in Jeep Poor area, I imagine that the reaction you got probably would have been different.

As to still being able to log it as a YJTB, well that is beside the point, it isn't so much that people might want to log it, but rather that they want to see one.

Actually I dd leave one YJTB in Canada but you would have been disappointed in it too. It had been modified by another team with bumblebee stripes and given wings. Luckly the person who grabbed it went out of there way to get it and where not disapointed.

But as to availability since JEEP decided to release within the US thats where most of them are. Luckly a few made it out of the US.

Also I wouldn't say We are Jeep rich area since a normal caching day for me could be over 300 miles round trip. I find a lot of Jeeps since I go to many events and trade bugs plus I cache a little more than most.

Team Sand Dollar