Computer Mapping

noosh9057

I would like to know if there is a mapping program that I can get for the computer. That you can put in the coordinates and it will pull that spot on the map. Or is there a web site that will have that type of mapping? I would prefer a program for the computer.

Thanks Roger

There are lots of web sites. Look at the links at the bottom of any cache page for a good start.

There are a good many programs, too. What sort of GPSr do you have? You might want to coordinate the program you get with your brand of receiver, so it's useful for both.

I have experience of Mapsource (that's Garmin's brand) and Fugawi (stand-alone, but it will download to a handheld) and have good and bad things to say about both. I don't own, but have seen screenshots of, National Geographic's topo maps, which looked really beatiful. None of them are cheap.

Do you have any specific purpose in mind?

Do you want Topo or Street maps?

Street

Delorme Street Atlas

Microsoft Streets & Trips

probably others

Delorme Topo USA

National Geographic Topo!

probably others

The GPS makers also offer street and topo software that you can use on the computer AND load into your mapping GPS.

Well you can not load a map into the etrex but I think you already know that since you state that you want them on computer and to print them out. Going by that I would consider something cheaper then the Mapsource series. Maybe a topo series from Softmap and Streets and Trips from Microsoft.

Edited by Cachengrab
Well I would like to get Top and street mapping. I order the Garmin eTrex so I could look at the maps on the computer and print them out.

Which eTrex? If it's the little yellow, you won't be able to download the maps to your handheld. The other models have varying capabilities.

Of course, you can load anything you like on your PC, and maps generally come as topo and city streets, separately. Map buying for the computer can get expensive quickly, so you need to nail down what you want most before you start buying.

Unless you're really rich, in which case...can I be your friend?

I would like to know if there is a mapping program that I can get for the computer. That you can put in the coordinates and it will pull that spot on the map. Or is there a web site that will have that type of mapping? I would prefer a program for the computer.

Thanks Roger

You might try DeLORME MAP PRINT PACK (USA)...

Or Microsofts Streets & Citys ( or at least name is similar)

Dale

Delorme Topo USA has accurate street maps.

I use it all the time - I put all my caches on it, trails,

just export the GSAK data base as you like to Delorme and import it.

Then you can download your tracks from the GPS to it also so you can see the trails on the map. I reallylike being able to see the trails on my maps.

cc

For the topo end of things, you might want to look at Memory-Map or Ozi Explorer. The other programs mentioned require you to use their maps. As you get more experienced and want to use other types of maps (aerial photos, satellite photos, marine charts, etc.), you will need a program that allows importing different types. These two programs are really flexible when it comes to what you can use. You can even scan paper maps, calibrate them and use them for computer mapping. Plus, these programs let you load the maps onto PPCs or print them out so you can take them along.

National Geographic TOPO is about the most useful mapping software you can use. You can change the datums, formats, draw routes, upload and download to your GPS, and make some nice paper maps for use in the backcountry.

do you mean to imply that you can Upload NG Maps to your GPS?

I was given to understand that you had to have the GPS manufacturer's software to do that.

My Delorme topo can download tracks and waypoints directly. Never tried to upload them but don't have a need either.

cc

National Geographic TOPO is about the most useful mapping software you can use.  You can change the datums, formats, draw routes, upload and download to your GPS, and make some nice paper maps for use in the backcountry.

do you mean to imply that you can Upload NG Maps to your GPS?

I was given to understand that you had to have the GPS manufacturer's software to do that.

My Delorme topo can download tracks and waypoints directly. Never tried to upload them but don't have a need either.

cc

Nope, I just upload tracks and WP's from GPS to Maps. And Download WP's from TOPO to GPS. I only use paper maps in the backcountry, the GPS is only used as a supplemental tool. I looked a mapsource and didn't like the scale and the size of the map you could use, a screen versus an 8.5x11 sheet of full color with UTM lines that I can plot and resection from. So I stayed with paper and less electronics that can go dead in the water when your batteries go out.

And there is more than one use for paper in the woods.

QUOTE (Tahosa and Sons @ Mar 8 2005, 03:25 PM)

National Geographic TOPO is about the most useful mapping software you can use. You can change the datums, formats, draw routes, upload and download to your GPS, and make some nice paper maps for use in the backcountry.

If you're in the US, USAPhotomaps does all that, and for free. You can do it on topo maps or aerial photos, or both, and import your cache files and show the caches on either.

Nope, I just upload tracks and WP's from GPS to Maps. And Download WP's from TOPO to GPS. I only use paper maps in the backcountry, the GPS is only used as a supplemental tool. I looked a mapsource and didn't like the scale and the size of the map you could use, a screen versus an 8.5x11 sheet of full color with UTM lines that I can plot and resection from. So I stayed with paper and less electronics that can go dead in the water when your batteries go out.

Have you tried NG Adventure paper? It's waterproof, inks won't run, paper won't rip and you can use both sides. Great for printing their maps. Don't know about other uses though :)

Nope, I just upload tracks and WP's from GPS to Maps.  And Download WP's from TOPO to GPS.  I only use paper maps in the backcountry, the GPS is only used as a supplemental tool.  I looked a mapsource and didn't like the scale and the size of the map you could use, a screen versus an 8.5x11 sheet of full color with UTM lines that I can plot and resection from.  So I stayed with paper and less electronics that can go dead in the water when your batteries go out. 

Have you tried NG Adventure paper? It's waterproof, inks won't run, paper won't rip and you can use both sides. Great for printing their maps. Don't know about other uses though :)

For the amount of maps I generate the special paper is too cost prohibitive, because I use the maps in the classes I conduct. If its rainy then its just field notes as I go, the map stays in the case.

As to other uses, sometimes nature makes a call and the GPS would not have the softness that is required. And maybe I would like to start a fire and GPS's are a little expensive to use as a fuel source, besides they might not burn all that good.

I use Maptech USGS Topographic series(sold by state) for hunting. The maps don't load into my Magellan Sportrack Map. However, I'm able to load waypoint and tracks to and from my GPS to the computer and vise versa. It works pretty slick.

I was able to walk trail(logging and deer), and save it in the unit. I than loaded the tracks into the topo software package , and it they gave me a better idea of my hunting area. They have a demo on their website.

Nope, I just upload tracks and WP's from GPS to Maps.  And Download WP's from TOPO to GPS.  I only use paper maps in the backcountry, the GPS is only used as a supplemental tool.  I looked a mapsource and didn't like the scale and the size of the map you could use, a screen versus an 8.5x11 sheet of full color with UTM lines that I can plot and resection from.  So I stayed with paper and less electronics that can go dead in the water when your batteries go out. 

Have you tried NG Adventure paper? It's waterproof, inks won't run, paper won't rip and you can use both sides. Great for printing their maps. Don't know about other uses though :(

For the amount of maps I generate the special paper is too cost prohibitive, because I use the maps in the classes I conduct. If its rainy then its just field notes as I go, the map stays in the case.

As to other uses, sometimes nature makes a call and the GPS would not have the softness that is required. And maybe I would like to start a fire and GPS's are a little expensive to use as a fuel source, besides they might not burn all that good.

Well Adventure paper might be expensive. But on the other hand being waterproof, makes it washable. So you can use it for other purposes, waash it and then re-use it. Plus, you still have the maps imprinted on it for GPS use in-between. It's really multi-purpose! I was thinking of creating rolls of it - could make a fortune!