Looking For Yellow Jeep

primofam

I am looking for a Yellow Jeep travel bug. Specifically #3567. I'll be willing to trade 2 unregistered (very low number) GOWT (Geocachers of West Tennesse) coins.

If you look at my Avatar, that's the jeep my son is holding.

Edited by primofam
But, so you know, YJTB's are not trade items, they are Travel Bugs. They have an owner.

If it were a REAL travel bug I would understand.

5001 are 'owned' by JEEP 4X4. If he/she posts about a missing bug then I'll believe that. I have never kept a REAL travel bug. Thanks for the comments though.

I dunno, I go with the crowd that sees the YJTB as different than normal TBs.  In reality they were part of an advertising campain that has run its course.  I don't think anyone at jeep really gives a rip where they are any more.

That's exactly what I mean. Thanks for the echo. I would suppose anyone who posts in this discussion has NEVER pocketed a geocoin, a moun10bike coin, or anything like that. If these were legitimate travel bugs purchased by an individual with a specific purpose, that would be different. Jeep put these out for a specific time which has passed. The website actually says the progam is over.

During the program I was lucky enough to find and release 3 YJTB.

Edited by primofam
If you look at my Avatar, that's the jeep my son is holding.

So if the person before you had swiped the TB you wouldn't have the picture. I guess if you want to be selfish and deprive future cachers the fun of finding YJTB go ahead.

While the yellow jeep TB's don't have regular owner per se. I think it's unfair that some people that have never seen them may never get a chance to because people feel they can just keep them.

If I come across a TB or Geocoin of any type unless the owner says I can keep it it's only fair to pass it on.

I agree. Eventually I'd like to get the chance to see a Yellow Jeep TB up here, but if people start collecting them, they'll never make it up here. Regardless of Jeep's plans for the bugs, I'd still like to see one. I think it is hard for someone in an area with lots of Jeeps to imagine *really* wanting to find one.

If anyone from a Jeep rich area would care to mail me one, I'll send you a special 'prize' back again (I'd obviously put the Jeep in a cache once I'd done admiring it :( ).

I can understand that, but that has nothing to do with Jeep's promotion being over.

True, but I think its more to the point. To be honest, I imagine if you were to call up a random Jeep promotions number and ask them about them, they likely wouldn't know what you were talking about, and probably wouldn't care. The average individual releasing travel bugs probably won't forget about them, so really it comes down to, at least for me, consideration for your fellow cacher, and to give them a chance to find one. 5000 bugs really isn't all that many when you consider how many are going to go missing, and how many never moved, and that they were all released in the US (well that make sense considering the contest was only going on in the states), and that we'd like to see them up here. The more that stay in circulation, the more likely they will disperse enough and be a really nice surprise for someone who has never seen one before. Anyways, thats my take on it anyways.

I'm holding on to the fourth one I've found. You're welcome to it.

Thanks, actually I had someone e-mail me offlist and offer to send me one, I'd still place it though if you sent it, and send you back a 'prize' :(.

Well that's just a change in the argument. First is was these are TBs and shouldn't be kept by anyone. Then it's pointed out they are owned by a company that did it for a promotion, it's over, you won't find anyone at Jeep who cares. So now it's the fact that all cachers should be able to log one.

I don't think it's fair to get ticked at the people that want to keep one just because everyone hasn't got to log one yet. Sure it would be cool, but there are cachers all over the world. Ain't going to happen and it's not realistic for people to expect something like that to travel forever given it's not personally owned.

But, so you know, YJTB's are not trade items, they are Travel Bugs.  They have an owner.

If it were a REAL travel bug I would understand.

5001 are 'owned' by JEEP 4X4. If he/she posts about a missing bug then I'll believe that. I have never kept a REAL travel bug. Thanks for the comments though.

Ok.... :huh:

What makes these not real??

They have a goal, they have a number and tag, they have a mission, they have 5year olds that would keep the toys if their parents didn't make them give it up :huh:

Is it because they're so many duplicates? or what?

And AGAIN, on that same page you reference, it states that progam is over.

The site also says....

"It’s a yellow die-cast Jeep Wrangler with an official tag attached. Four thousand have been hidden in caches across the U.S. Even though the 2004 Program is over you can still track them down! Find one and the adventure begins!"

Sounds to me as if they wish them to continue.

Jeremy has said he wishes them to continue on, and you can bet he is also expressing jeep's wishes.

What has became of honor, generosity, and courtesy.

I just found my first YJTB and a friend let me borrow his for a few days of caching. I didn't think people wooould still be interested in them now that the promotion is over. Maybe that's why now I have been able to find them. maybe some cachers were in fact holding them.

I don't want to get beat up, I usually only lurk on these forums.

But it seems to me that most of you are missing the point. It's not about who owns the TB's or whether the Jeep promotion is over or not. Its about the integrity of the game!

They are still part of the game, they are still active, they can still be logged, and most of all they are still sought after.

Now if Groundspeak decided to make them inactive and they could not be logged anymore that might be different. But until then, as long as the Jeep TBs are valid gamepieces, there really is no difference removing them from the game as any other TB or cache.

Just my thoughts, dont beat me up.

And AGAIN, on that same page you reference, it states that progam is over.

It welcomes you to come back in JUNE for the 2005 adventure.

I guess you try to justify stealing any way you can.

The link clearly states that the YJTBs are still meant to be tracked and apparently your myopic view of these TBs will never comprehend this.

I still hope that your hunt for this TB is fruitless as probably most GCers do.

So, you have no travel bugs, trade items, or geocoins of any type in your collection? No items that can be tracked? Not one?

I have no travel bugs in my collection. They are meant to travel and since i don't own them, i do what i can to help them. I would be stealing if i kept them for myself. Trade items are just that, trade items. Thats their purpose, to be traded for. If you traded for something then its yours. Now if you didn't trade it would be stealing. As far as geocoins, thats very vague. There are coins you can buy and yes i ahve some. They are mine. I also have traded for others which are now mine also. M10Bike coins specipically say they are to either be kept in your collection or moved along. He has given the finder the option so it is OK to keep. If i find a coin in a cache, i move it along with the goals in mind as best as i can. I would not keep it. Its not mine. I would never keep a trackable item that wasn't mine. What fun is it to watch something trackable if all it does is sit at someone elses house? Surely you don't have a TB, geocoin, or other trackable item sitting there while the owner or others who have helped it along the way, are sitting there watching it?

No, I have no travel bugs in my collection. I have a Moun10bike coin I traded for and trade items as you have described. No coin that I have found in a cache is in my collection-period.

And I understand the very good comments everyone has said concerning the YJTBs. The fact that I don't agree with them is just that.

How many corporate cachers are there? When you check on the YJTB owner, this cacher has no finds. You would think someone very concerned about the sport would participate in it-wouldn't you? I can imagine

When it comes down to it, the jeeps were put out with a purpose to draw attention to the 2004 jeep promotion which is now over. Many of them may still be passing around, the majority have been withdrawn and placed into personal collections. I'm just being honest about my desire to have this one specific jeep. The story concerning my desire for this is not important to anyone but myself and my son.

Honesty and integrity have been mentioned in these posts. I hold both of those in pretty high regard and there in lies my reasoning to project my desire for the jeep. I may never get this jeep-that's okay. I do appreciate all the discussion this has created on a 'gray area'.

When you check on the YJTB owner, this cacher has no finds. You would think someone very concerned about the sport would participate in it-wouldn't you?

Here in lies the difference in our opinions. To me anyone who either places something for me to find, put an object out there to move, OR finds my caches is active in the sport. I don't try to decide if its an owner by whether or not its an individual or corporation. To me its someone elses. If this was a recluse that just released them and did nothing else, would you view it differently? Personally i would want my son to see where it travelled to instead of him keeping it. 4 months from now I would find it under the couch. I do understand why you want it, but yea we will kindly disagree about whether or not you should have it.

So, you have no travel bugs, trade items, or geocoins of any type in your collection? No items that can be tracked? Not one?

Enough said.

He without sin cast the first stone, is that what you are shouting? I have NONE of the mentioned items and I wouldn't even consider keeping them if I found them. The whole TB idea relies on the honesty and integrety of the players, I guess you fall short on both.

Nice try to AGAIN justify your stealing.

Wow! There have been lots of comments on both sides. Very strong on both side.

I did sit down with my son and we talked about this discussion. Even though we really would like to have this specific jeep, it ultimately is a travel bug. Even though I still don't think jeep is an actual cacher, they did pay to have the jeeps placed. I know how hard we tried to go and get the 3 we were able to find.

My son (the old wise one he is) said, "I guess people are still excited about those jeeps".

I appreciate everyone's comments on both sides. Thank you for bringing me back down to earth-even though I got pretty bruised on the way down. :ninja:

I also appreciate the intense spirit felt on both sides of this discussion.

Thanks again,

happy caching.

I'm glad to see everyone has kissed and made up! And yes, your son hit the nail on the head...people ARE still excited about those Jeeps. I just found my first one this past weekend. Something nobody pointed out in this discussion is that you can still get a new icon on your stats page for finding one...woohoo! To me, that means that they are still active.

So what color do you think the 2005 Jeeps will be?

Children frequently have an innate sense of right and wrong, and many are not as caught up in their collections as we might think, when given the opportunity for genuine sharing.

You should be proud of your son for the empathy you have instilled in him, and the wisdom to innately know the right thing to do.