Read The Log !

I don`t know how someone without a GPS can guess at co-ordinates when actually placing a cache, could be miles out just looking at a map and saying it`s er.... about there.... oh that will do. I mean if we all did that, no one would find anything.

Should be a rule for people have to do at least 15 caches before placing one... I think we did about 50 or so before we even attempted to place our first cache. You need to get a feel for the ideal place to place caches, and to do this you need to have done a few before placing any.

Any idiot can drop a box off in a field, but to place it in an interesting place, or taxing puzzle takes a bit of time and skill and effort.

We`ve been know to avoid caches which some newbie has placed until, someone else finds it, nothing worst than being brought to an area, and thinking, what the hell am I doing here, nothing of interest. Although it`s all part of experience. Like the famous advert says "Sshtop... what are you doings" Wait a little longer before placing caches.

Pengy & Tigger

You gotta worry about a 'man with no GPS' setting a cache.

I suppose it's possible to get a fairly good co-ord using memory map.

To be really paranoid, what's to stop someone claiming to have set a cache, with or without GPS and actually not placing it. Just sending people on a wild goose chase?

The whole thing beggars belief... a cache set by a person without a GPS (if their name is taken literally), and a finder who leaves behind "a whole load of crap" including used lip balm and a couple of sweets!!

For the benefit of those new to the game, this is NOT typical behaviour of the vast majority of us!! In fact, foodstuffs shouldn't ever be left in a cache.

Should be a rule for people have to do at least 15 caches before placing one.

Totally agree there have been some caches in the SE that have had poor coordinates and not very interesting. If you were required to do a number of caches before placing you would gain the experience on how to place, it would also ensure that the people who place caches have tried the sport and are in it for the long term.

Andy

To be fair though, and play devil's advocate to a degree, we haven't found many caches but we placed one at an interesting location, and made sure that it was a place that was a) easy to get to and :D within a reasonable distance for us to maintain.

Common sense has a part to play in this. Even if you were to find 50 caches, there would be no real deterant to you putting a cache in the middle of a field somewhere simply because there wasn't one there previously.

I suppose an analogy would be with photography... you can buy all the expensive gear, take photos for years, and still be a lousy photographer because you don't have the "eye" for it. At the same time, someone else can pick up a cheap disposable camera and grab amazing shots.

One thing that is worth pointing out is that you can always read the details of the cache before you set out. If it sounds like a bad / lousy location, then perhaps you could leave it and find another that was more to your taste?

Brad

:D The real question is how on earth did this cache get approved for a guy without a gps to place it in the first place?

And what are them there co-ords for the parking spot? As they too seem a bit scew-wiff to someone who aint used to back to front map datums!

Plus the hints are a wee bit grey if not non existent.

I think Cave Troll & Joan should have the points just for the wasted journey!! :D

Totally agree that there should be a limit set of how many caches you should find prior to hiding as only by finding do you get to understand the intricacy of the game. I would say 20 at least.

Did one this weekend set by new cacher of one find that was a red biscuit tin not hidden hardly and with almost nothing in it and we were 2nd to find. Disapointing.

Ian.

Faye and Brad wrote:

...and a finder who leaves behind "a whole load of crap" including used lip balm and a couple of sweets!!

G Force wrote:

I'm worried about his affilliations! WANCA's is this for real?

Yes, I found all that rather disconcerting. But in fact that was his first cache find, and his later logs (8 finds now) are quite different. It could be someone who did the first one with his mates as a laugh, then got hooked.

Could this be the first incident of a negative outcome caused by Simply Paul's countryfile video diary? The cacher in question signed up with Geocaching.com on the day of its airing... coincidence??? I think not! :D

House Of Boo

Edited by House Of Boo
Yes, I found all that rather disconcerting. But in fact that was his first cache find, and his later logs (8 finds now) are quite different. It could be someone who did the first one with his mates as a laugh, then got hooked.

Wierd one this, the first log is totally atypical of the rest. WE'll have to see what happens...

If you read deeper into his logs the guy must be using Memory Map or Anquet - typing in the co-ords, looking for the clues and out the door he goes in hope!

Now if this is how he has set the cache up and typed the co-ords in before walking out the door, the circle of destiny is pretty wide on a screen!

But lets not go on assuptions - he may have a mate who lent him a unit - but you watch - :D knowing our luck he will probably be a mountain leader who thinks GPS units are only good for when the fog comes down and logged the cache with pure brain-power and works for O.S. part time!

Could this be the first incident of a negative outcome caused by Simply Paul's countryfile video diary? The cacher in question signed up with Geocaching.com on the day of its airing... coincidence??? I think not! :D

House Of Boo

Eeek, I hope not. :D

For every 99 quality cachers who join up there's bound to be 1 idiot, and this log reads like idiot territory to me. Should I be wrong, this gentleman has my apologies.

On the topic of 'you should find x caches before you hide one' I hid my first after finding just five WITHOUT GPS. Indeed, the main reason bought one was to hide caches. It was awarded 5 out of 5 on Dan Wilson's Buckscaching site and I still get very good feedback on it... so...

Quality is an issue here in the south east, as someone else said, and all I'd urge people to do is be honest with their online logs. If it's 'a bit poop', then say as much in your log. Oh all right, dress it up a bit. Sugar the pill if you must... just make your point.

SP

I'm sure this isn't the right place to dis cachers or their caches (um...except in this case, because of the comedy contents of their log) so by email I guess. The basic TNLNSL log lets other cachers know you weren't impressed, but I've seen the same style of log left for some great caches by people 'in a rush', so it's really not a great guide.

I'm still all for rating peoples caches out of 10 in your log. I have an open invitation on all my cache pages for visitors to do this, as a guide of quality for those who follow. :D

SP

Hmm - I didn't word that very well... of course I wasn't suggesting people should dis cachers in here... what I should have said is "e-mail the cache placer, and CHAT in here!! I.e. about anything; not about the cache!

I like your idea on suggesting cachers rate the cache until an official implementation is done... mind if I borrow it in future? :D

Brad

Help yourself, and I encourage others to do the same thing too.

Back towards topic, I've reread the Man without GPS's log and we may all be jumping to a conclusion. 'left cigarette...etc and other cr*p' may not mean that this is what he/they left. It might mean this is what was already in the cache when they found it and they didn't take it - in effect, they left it. See?

All this speculation is pointless anyway. Perhaps a note on the page by the owner to ask for any unsuitable items to be removed by the next visitor* would be the simple way to go on this? If the previous finder confirms that the box wasn't stocked with the mentioned items when they visited then 'Man' should be reminded of his duties as a cacher not to leave food, drugs and swearwords in caches or online logs. :ph34r:

SP

*Additional: I've now done this.

Edited by Simply Paul
I don`t know how someone without a GPS can guess at co-ordinates when actually placing a cache

There are lots of ways of measuring co-ordinates without using GPS.

Surveyors (and others) had been calculating accurate co-ords for decades and even centuries before GPS came along.

They'd also been producing some duff ones too, but I've seen no evidence that GPS prevents publication of duff co-ordinates either.

As for ability to place a decent cache before finding a dozen or whatever, I placed my first cache after finding only four and it has turned out to be my most sucessful cache.

I've also seen failed caches which have been placed by highly experienced cachers who've found many hundreds of caches.

Cheers, The Forester

I thought you'd be pleased to know that I have been in contact with the person concerned and he's an absolutely genuine geocacher who's now well aware of the "way things are done".

The cigarette etc. was placed in a cache for a lark by some friends but steps have already been taken to remove them. Also, his caches have/will be placed with the aid of a GPS before listing so no concerns there either.

Let's all give him the usual UK Forum welcome :rolleyes::lol::lol:

Edited by Lactodorum

There are some very good caches placed by people who have never logged a find.

There are some abysmal caches placed by people with lots of finds.

Very experienced cachers get the co ordinates wrong and frustrate finders. I wont name names (cough "Rutson").

If you are skilled in the use of maps then there should be no reason why you cannot place a cache without a gps.

As for caches that are rubbish, the one without sin cast the first stone please!

By the way most of my caches are c**p. The co ords are fine though

Good news, Lacto.

Welcome to the forums, Man With No GPS! We're a nice bunch really! We just get upset when we see things that will bring the game a bad name, or could be potentially hazardous being placed into a cache.

Hope you haven't been put off and will enjoy the game for many years to come!

Best wishes,

Brad