Paypal

Metro Nomad

Hi All

Is there anyone else that has tried paying via PayPal and found that South Africa is not listed in the drop down box? :D

I've sent them a couple of e-mails some time ago, but never received a reply.

The main problem being GSAK. The latest version has pop up Nag Screens that get worse the longer you use the program - wasting a lot of time.

According to Clyde he can't afford a merchant account and hence no direct paying via credit card is available.

Any suggestions as to solving the payment problem?

Thanks.

The way I paid for mine was to contact someone I know in Australia who also has a SA bank Account. I deposited the funds in rands here into his account in South Africa and provided him with Clyde's banking details and he paid from an Australian bank account AUD into Clyde's account.

I asked one of my friends in the UK if I could use his address. I changed on of my credit cards billing address to this address in the UK! Went into the bank and just told them to do a address change for me. Never told them where the address is! When signing up for Paypal it goes on the billing address of your credit card and not by the bank address or your address. Just use the overseas address!

You can now pay via Paypal without sighing up with them. Just need a credit card address that is in one of the countries listed!

I asked one of my friends in the UK if I could use his address. I changed on of my credit cards billing address to this address in the UK! Went into the bank and just told them to do a address change for me. Never told them where the address is! When signing up for Paypal it goes on the billing address of your credit card and not by the bank address or your address. Just use the overseas address!

You can now pay via Paypal without sighing up with them. Just need a credit card address that is in one of the countries listed!

I'm curious as to how you got around the phone verification step where they only allow you to enter a UK number on which they want to phone you before allowing the account to be used?

When signing up you get a max of £400.00 you can use as an unverified member. Then you just need to give your friend who's address you are using you info to verify the account.

I verified my one when I was in the UK at my friends place so it was not a problem. All they wanted from me was my username password and credit card details and verification number on the creditcard and the utility bill account number of the address. That was it

A most bizarre thing. They give you a limit. They also state that you will be looked on more favourably if you are a verified member vs an unverified one. This does lead one to believe that one can make purchases within one’s limit. Sadly not true anymore. The account is blocked until it is verified. Any attempt to purchase anything with the account is blocked, regardless of the value. In the account summary they tell you what you can and can not do with the account in it's current state.... bottom line... you can do nada until it is verified. Clearly they haven't updated parts of their website.

Oh well.

The foreign exchange regulation thingy is quite obscure. One will find that there are some vendors in the US which will not accept a credit card purchase if it is a South African credit card, and this has nothing to do with billing address but the bank with which the card is registered, and they all state that this is due to Foreign Exchange control. The funny thing is, if you have a Diners Club or Amex card, no problem, WEIRD!! And again, there are other vendors that couldn’t care less.

C’est la vie!

Hi

I still haven't found a Russian Bride to help out!

Is there anyone out there willing to help me pay for GSAK?

These Nag Screens are enough to drive one completely bonkers. Quite a few of the options on the menu take more than 90 seconds to open. If you want to add information from a *.gpx file you have to wait. Exporting as a *.mps or *.gdp file? You wait 90 seconds for the countdown. Etc.

Contact me directly on Metro.Nomad@idws.co.za if you can be of assistance.

Thanks

I just went to the GSAK site and if you click on Register, it takes you to the PayPal screen, but now with the option of paying by creditcard too!

But alas : Seems you still cant do it....grrrrrr. Sorry to get your hopes up....

Edited by Brick