Lost And Found (again)

It just goes on, and on.

Regular followers of Wlw's caching career will know that he is lamentably careless when it comes to looking after equipment and items of clothing.

The authorities in Lothian are still mystified by the recent discovery of an unoccupied pair of trousers and one gardening glove, on the banks of the Water of Leith near Edinburgh...

Yesterday was a tough day. I spent it up on the the north coast, dividing my time between an attempt to get FTF at GCMZ1E and doing a second survey on my own new cache at Torr Head. All this involved almost 200 miles of driving, in total.

In view of recent losses, both here and in Scotland, I'm trying to be more diligent about gathering up my gear - so it was a great disappointment when I arrived home on Saturday night, only to find that my eTrex Vista was nowhere to be found.

"Dash it!", I said, and "Bother!" (or words to that effect.)

Having paid to replace one GPS receiver only two months ago, my insurers were unlikely to fork out for another. I searched the car, my daysacks, pockets, everywhere. There was no sign of the little eTrex, or its case.

All I could remember was, having the unit at Ballintoy harbour. There was nothing else for it: I gathered up some extra torches and headed back for the coast, into the gathering darkness...

It took nearly 40 minutes to get to the far end of the motorway. On the way, I ruminated: What replacement to get, this time? A Garmin 60CS? One of those new Magellans?

But it's coming out of my own wallet - maybe a Gecko would do, second-hand.

As I negotiate the roundabouts outside Ballymena, my thoughts are interrupted by an annoying sound: something keeps sliding about on the rear parcel shelf of the car.

I wonder what it is....?

-Wlw.

(edited for the usual Sunday-morning typos)

Edited by wildlifewriter

Another ploy is to have the GPSr on a lanyard attached to you back pack ( or round your neck ) It might seem overkill but after my GPS fell out of my pocket whilst I climbing a slippy Motte & Bailey and having to back track ;) I have always adopted the lanyard. Looks a bit daft for City caches mind :mad:

Ken

Another ploy is to have the GPSr on a lanyard attached to you back pack ( or round your neck ) It might seem overkill but after my GPS fell out of my pocket whilst I climbing a slippy Motte & Bailey and having to back track :D I have always adopted the lanyard. Looks a bit daft for City caches mind :D

Ken

The lanyard technique has always been my method also...however taking it off and leaving the GPSr on the roof of the car (while changing footwear or whatever at the car boot) and driving blissfully off forgetting it was there....sort of discounts all my previous carefulness :D

I just wonder how many GPSr's have met an untimely end in this manner??

A GPSr was left at one of our caches last summer and the loser (in the nicest possible way) didn't log their find or a DNF. We left a note on the cache page but nobody has claimed it. Another friendly insurance company, perhaps.

Perhaps they were abducted by mixed up Alien geocachers!!! :ph34r::ninja:

I normally put the GPS down whilst Im filling in the log, one time I absent mindedly put it in the cache container, hid the cache, and walked away, I got about 100 yards before I started wondering what that nagging thought was

A classic case of "I know i've forgotten something, but I'm damned if I can remember what it is" :ph34r::ninja::D

after a return trip to one cache to retrieve my Fisher Space pen, I have been sure to check my GPS, camera, car keys and mobile phone as I am leaving any cache location!! Need some sort of batman utility belt perhaps?

Utility belt would be a really good idea, unless you lost it :ph34r:

The usual problem I have is finding which pocket things are in... The trouser front pockets, knee pockets, back pockets, outer coat main pockets, inner pockets, map pocket, chest pocket, inner coat main pockets......etc, or is it in the rucksac pockets?

Perhaps I should just take one big bag and put everything in it. At least I'd know where it was.

I once walked away from a cache leaving my Legend sitting peacefully on a fallen tree trunk. I got home and unpacked my stuff only to find the GPSr missing. I remembered putting it down beside me on the tree trunk while I sat and did the logging biz. I got back there an hour or so later to find it exactly where I'd left it. Not bad considering that the location wasn't deep in some secluded wood but only 50 yards from a tarmac footpath in a very well used public park and in clear view of anyone who happened to look in that direction. :ph34r:

A GPSr was left at one of our caches last summer and the loser (in the nicest possible way) didn't log their find or a DNF. We left a note on the cache page but nobody has claimed it. Another friendly insurance company, perhaps.

Did you check to see if there is a waypoint marked 'home'? I have heard of a number of GPSrs being returned that way. The gps would get you to within a few doors. Knock on each door and ask 'have you lost a Garmin/(insert name of device here)?' only the real owner would instantly know what you were talking about.

I used to put a slip of paper with my address in the battery compartment. So if the finder used it for a time and then changed the batteries they would see it and at least have to make the decision whether to ignore it or not.

However, I noticed that the slip of paper wasn't there recently, must have fallen out when I did a battery change in the wild. Nobody has found that and returned it :o so I had better make another.

took Garmin to Tuscany for a bit of family geocaching. Told missus not to bother with map from airport in Florence - Garmin would know the way to the villa. Put Garmin on roof, kids in car, missus in passenger seat, luggage in boot and drove off.

Fearful argument ensues as I accuse missus of losing the Garmin - then hear dreadful noice on roof followed by much Italian light flashing - errr not that kind. Pull over onto hard shoulder to discover Garmin strap wrapped around car aerial on roof and of course - logged neatly in to a dozen sats.

Long period of humble pie ensued as missus indulged in verbal torture. Kids rolled around in hysterics!

Lanyard around my neck and attached etrex in top pocket of coat from time I leave home untill I return.

One learns the hard way

Even my Ipaq and it's Bluetooth GPSr is in an Aquapac with its long lanyard that can go around neck and shoulder.

But I have still mislaid the odd item or two whilst out caching.

I suppose it is an occupational hazard. :o

but nobody has yet explained to me why a GPS on a lanyard will always hang face inwards and lose signal

Perhaps that is why Garmin in their wisdom have put the lanyard attachment point on the top of the GPSmap 60CS. Surely it is the top and bottom that matter, not front or back.

I left my bluetooth GPSr on the roof of my car and drove some distance on a road with speed bumps so perhaps no more than 20 mph before I heard it bounce off the roof. The flashing blue led made it a bit easier to find in the gutter and it still works!

Then there was the Vista which I left on a bench on a main road in Machynlleth for a good quarter hour - and it was still there when I went back!

But the bad one was the Maglite I dropped at a cache in Wales (just) and which the cache owner found and kindly placed in the cache with a note that it was to be left for me to collect - but when I went a week or two later some kind person had taken a fancy to it and swapped it for a cheap and nasty little torch!

You win some and you lose some . . . . ! :o

Edited by John Stead
I used to put a slip of paper with my address in the battery compartment. So if the finder used it for a time and then changed the batteries they would see it and at least have to make the decision whether to ignore it or not.

On my Legend, and I assume other models in the Etrex series, you can enter your name and address and these are displayed on the 'power-up' page when you switch the unit on. There is also an area for 'comments' where I've put my cell phone number and offer a small reward for it's safe return. This is also displayed at 'power-up'

On my Legend, and I assume other models in the Etrex series, you can enter your name and address and these are displayed on the 'power-up' page when you switch the unit on.

This is the same as the Maggelan Explorist series were you can enter your personal details(If you want). If you are using an expensive piece of kit then you really should do everything within reason to protect your investment. I think Pharisees idea to offer a small reward is a great idea and could save you a lot of money in the long run.

I'm off to make up a few reward posters for my future mishaps, anyone got the number for crimewatch ?

but nobody has yet explained to me why a GPS on a lanyard will always hang face inwards and lose signal  :rolleyes:

The reason this happens is that the fornt face of the eTrex is the only one without a grippy rubberised surface. When any other face of the GPSR contacts clothing as it swings, it grips and spins. When the front hits clothing on the swing it just slides. It's a constant annoyance to me!

Iain

Edited by Sheards
I used to put a slip of paper with my address in the battery compartment.  So if the finder used it for a time and then changed the batteries they would see it and at least have to make the decision whether to ignore it or not.

On my Legend, and I assume other models in the Etrex series, you can enter your name and address and these are displayed on the 'power-up' page when you switch the unit on. There is also an area for 'comments' where I've put my cell phone number and offer a small reward for it's safe return. This is also displayed at 'power-up'

Can't find that feature on the eTrex Summit. :rolleyes: or :lol:

Much too much to ask of my etrex. Shame. It sounds a very worthwhile feature. While setting caches I have walked off, leaving 'ol' reliable' settling on top of a post or next to the cache, only to realise before I got back to my car and charged back. Beyond that, my mobile phone lanyard (50p) has been perfect for keeping Mr Cockup at bay.

I'd hate to lose it as it's featured on every TV outing about UK caching that I know about. It was Dan Wilson's and appeared with him and Pid on Inside Out in early 2003, and you know about its more recent staring roles. (Taking the topic off-rail for a moment, I'm waiting for the OK from the BBC to post my Countryfile and Points West bits on my web site. Copyright issues, of course. More news when I have it).

SP

Edited - because I wanted to.

Edited by Simply Paul
I lost GAZ at a cache once .....but someone bought him back home. :rolleyes: So if you are ever out there and spot a 6ft skinhead wandering around aimlessley....dont worry ITS JUST GAZ :lol:

Nes xx

I'll bet he wandered off deliberately to get out of 'ear-shot' of two nattering females :lol::(:DB)