Do Approvers???

96Bronco

In addition to what Brian said, I think they also do some quick map work online to make sure there are no "red flags" associated with the cache placement. (NPS property, near active railroads, placed on other restricted areas, like south lawn of White Ho use, etc...). There is an informative article on the Maryland Geocaching Society's page (www.mdgps.net) that gives hiders some practical information about the approval process. I wish geocaching.com would post similar in f ormation. It was written by a local approver, in consultation with other approvers.

EDIT: spelling, etc...¢

quote:
Do approvers physically go out and check your cache

Sometimes. After the fact though.

The approvers are geocachers first, approvers second. We also try to regionalize the approval proces, so it's quite possible that your cache approver will later log a smilie on a cache of yours.

I had some questions about a particular cache's proximity to RR tracks before posting it. The cache owner reassured me that it was ok. Earlier this week I coincidentally visited the town 200 miles away that this cache was in. I made it a point to hunt the cache and it was cool to look for something that we had discussed. If he had given me any hints on where the cache was I'm glad I'd forgotten them, as that would have ruined the surprise.

We do make it a point to not be the first finder to these caches that we "inspect" though. [icon_wink.gif]

erik - geocaching.com admin