Kids Event

The Argonauts

I have been asked to host a daylong field trip for 54 kids age 6 to twelve. While I do have kids of my own and know what they enjoy, I wanted any ideas on hides or things to do to keep them entertained while looking for the cache. I was planning on splitting them up into 5 groups and having at least 5 different caches to find and ending the day with them hiding their own and listing it on the website so they can watch it. I was also thinking of do a scavenger hut for items in nature any thoughts on weird or interesting items would be welcomed as well. I was also thinking of having digital cameras for each group and using that as a way of logging some of their scavenger hunt finds. Please give any ideas or thoughts on what you think would help make this an exciting time.

Thanks for any help

You could make up some basic compasses from wood or cardboard with only N, NE,E SE,S,SW,W,NW and make a very simple treasuure hunt. This would have clues like W to the large white tree 50 paces, 70 paces to the picnic table to the south.................... . This will get the kids a little familar with the compass and then you can say how it relates to the GPS'r.

You could set up a few hunts one a little harder than the other for the different age groups.

Oh and good luck and have fun.

Here's a cute scavenger hunt I've done with kids before: Get a box of the 8 traditional Crayola markers. Then, on cardboard, or oaktag color in 8 squares (like 2 inches by 2 inches) with all 8 colors. Give each kid or buddy-team their piece of cardboard with the 8 colors on it, and a pencil. Tell them to go find things that match each color. It has to be something they can touch (so they don't just say, oh the sun is yellow, and the sky is blue, etc...). Tell them that you don't want to disturb nature, so write down what they found, rather than take or pick it. It's really interesting to see what they come up with because those Crayola colors are so bright, but it works! I've done this with several different age groups and they have all enjoyed it. This could be your intro to geocaching in the AM, to get them thinking about finding stuff in the woods. Anyways, just my $.02.

How will you be dividing the kids? If you mix the age groups, the older ones may boss the younger ones around or at least take over. If you group by age group, the older ones will find everything first and the younger ones might become whiney. Just something to think about. Perhaps have some caches or bonuses that are just for the younger kids and some that are only for the 10 to 12 year olds. Also, having only 5 groups would mean awfully large groups of 11 each. Think about dividing them into no more than 5 kids per group and to cut down on arguments.

Make sure they all bring water bottles and snacks, and there's restrooms nearby. Also, a nearby playground or some other activity to give them a break from all day caching would help. And I'm assuming there'll be plenty of parents to help out, right?

Scout out the area for poisonous plants and fire ants and such. Bring a first aid kit and sun screen. Maybe give them a talk about avoiding poison ivy with actual pictures and teach them the "leaves of 3; flee".

The camera sounds neat. Have fun!

Edited by jwillis

Sounds like the same numbers and ages as a Cub Scout Day Camp. You might contact a local Cub Scout leader to get some activity ideas. Also, if it is nearby, you could stop at the local "scout shop" and see what books they have on hand. I know that the Program Helps for one of the months this summer has some outdoor scavenger hunt and outdoor adventure trail ideas. The Program Helps book costs about $3 and has a years worth of activity/skit/song ideas. The scout shop will have it, or you can get it from: http://www.scoutstuff.org/cgi/peek?ww34304

I would agree with jwillis that you should consider having 5-6 per group instead of 11. Maybe have each older kid be a mentor/helper for a pair of younger ones. Definately use a buddy system (everyone has a buddy and no one goes _anywhere_ without their buddy).

As for specific activity ideas:

* have discussions of:

a ) what is good outdoors behavior (i.e. minimal impact, leave no trace) and why is it important

b ) outdoors safety (i.e. buddy system, what to do if lost, 10 essentials etc)

* make a contest out of picking up trash. see who can get the most, or the most interesting item.

* give them a sheet with outlines of leaves and have them find one of each kind.

* use descriptions or pictures of landmarks to guide them cross-country

* find a patch of wildflowers. have them identify the flower on a page with pictures of several flower.

* play "Kims Game". Gather several items and cover them with a towel. Uncover the items for a short time then cover again. Have players make a list of the items they remember seeing. Number of items and time they are uncovered can be varied according to age.

* have the group stop and spread out a bit. Have everyone kneel or sit down and count how many bugs/plants/whatever they can see in one square foot.

Good Luck, and remember to have fun ;)