records of cache finds

farmwife

Do you keep a notebook of your cache finds? While I am waiting on my GPSr to be delivered, I want to be prepared for our first cache search. If you do, could you describe it for me? What all you put in it? What kind of notebook? Anything else?

thanks,

judi

Thinking ahead is the way to go. If I was in your shoes (just starting out) I'd keep a print out of each cache and put it in a notebook.

Since this never even occured to me I had to settle for a print out of my log summary which is not much of a solution.

I've also got a GPX file of my finds. This solution works until you hit 500 or so. But you have to be a premium member.

All in all 20/20 hind sight tells me I should of kept the notebook.

=====================

Wherever you go there you are.

You could always use a Personal Travel Bug. This way you can track your miles, post pictures, write a little summary of your visit if you wanted, and have handy links to the caches you visited.

I have one Chuck's PTB Compass. My caching miles just turned over 5000 miles!

All you have to do is order a TB and just log it in the caches you visit. (just make sure you log your retrieval of the TB so that it doesn't show on the cache page)

A wise man once said... "Its better to be pissed off than pissed on!"

I have the printout for every cache that I have found. I put them in the clear plastic sheet protectors along with any notes that I may make in the field (what I took or left, the clue if I decoded it, the answers to virtual questions, etc.). Each one is numbered in the order that I found them. I keep them in binders with an index. The index has the number, the cache name, when I found it, if the cache has been archived, and what I took and left. I know it's excessive, but I wanted to do it that way.

RichardMoore

www.geocities.com/richardsrunaway

I start out by either getting a .loc file of the area I am going to go hunt or load caches one by one from the Nearest Caches section, loading those file's to the Mag 330 and then downloading to NG TOPO! all those caches.

Then I sort through all those caches and see which ones I want to go hunt. That will leave me with a lot of waypoints on a map.

From there, I try and plan a route that will cover the most caches out and back from home.

Then I build a spreadsheet with a column for hunt order number, a column for the time, one for the GC number, a column for cache type and the cache name. This spreadsheet has the hunt order on it. I print out the sheet and also save it to the laptop. I also download all the waypoints I want to the laptop and its mapping program.

From there I either printout a cache page or copy the page to works and tweak it to what I want in the order I want to hunt them. These pages and files are all numbered in the order I am going to search for. Then I take all those sheets and stick them into a three ring binder.

As we are hunting caches, we note the date, time and trades right on the printout as we find them.

And then after all that is done, We usually just head out and end up doing little or none of the order, get distracted with the area, have a change in time frame, find out the multi stage ones take us past other caches out of order, parts of multi's are missing, roads are closed by one thing or the next - snow, flood, trees, D-8, etc -.

I guess what I am trying to tell you is no matter how you plan things, the main part is to just get out and enjoy the time.

Oh, all those used caches page? I have a large stack of them here on the floor. I guess I need to go through all of them and sort them out. Maybe later, I have a trip to plan for.

logscaler.

I use Excel. From my "My Cache Page" I copy the name of the caches I have found (doing this also copies the hyperlink to the cache page) and then paste the cache names to a worksheet.

I also keep track of my caches, my benchmark finds, my travel bugs, and bugs I've found this way. Come to think of it, I have just duplicated my "My Cache Page". DOH!!!!

I kept an updated easyGPS file for a while, but found it useless.

Adversity is certain, misery is optional.

texasgeocaching_sm.gifntga_button.gif

I keep a notebook (a couple actually) of the cache pages with my notes of the find. I also keep an excel spreadsheet which documents the cache (with a link to the page), the cache hider, date found, and some miscellaneous notes such as virt question answers, etc.

Once you get past 20 to 30 finds, you'll want to keep track in a database or Excel. I have an Excel spreadsheet that has a database in it that allows me to run queries and perform calculations (like % Virtual, qty of Florida finds, % DNF, etc.).

I also use it to make graphs of finds by month, track cache placements, etc. Did I go overboard?

quote:
Originally posted by farmwife:

Do you keep a notebook of your cache finds? While I am waiting on my GPSr to be delivered, I want to be prepared for our first cache search. If you do, could you describe it for me? What all you put in it? What kind of notebook? Anything else?

thanks,

judi

I also keep all the printed cache pages with notes on them. Some virtuals have a certificate of achievement you can print out after you get the password. I keep a blank one and print out a certificate for each cache with the date and time and the cache number in order of finds.

And here I thought I was the only one who did this stuff icon_smile.gif

SeventhSon

== If at first you don't succeed, skydiving isn't for you. ==

I keep little record of the finds. But have 3 ring binder on all of my plants. Which is necessary because a lot of them are virtuals, so I need to know where the answers are when someone goes after the Cache. Whenever I get an EMail I always right down the date and time and Cache and Cachers name. That way if a cacher just lays claim without meeting the requirements then I can EMail them back and see if the questions can be answered. Before you can loose your claim.

Tahosa - Dweller of Mountain Tops.

OOOOHHHHH Lots of good ideas. I will go for my first find tomorrow after work and I just got my Pocket PC in so I have a lot to play with. I think I'll start a Excel spreadsheet, and with the ideas here I can see I have a good bit of data to keep track of. Wish me luck.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

I have taken pictures of every cache I've visited. I have put them into a scrap book, along with the name of the cache, the co-ords, the date and a small journal of each experience. Each book holds 50 finds, plus any I have hidden during that time. I'm working on my 4th book now, actually, I better get on it today so they'll be ready to take to "Red Rock and Rolls" this weekend. My scrapbooks seem to be a hit at the picnics, and I enjoy showing them off a little. icon_biggrin.gif

I love the pictures I have taken because they remind me of exactly why I like to cache. Beautiful scenery, fun trips with friends, challenging, or not so challenging, terrain, and all the great places caching has taken me.

I keep a note book with five main sections. I have printed dividers to seperate everything.

I first have a Spread sheet that shows Screen name, real name email and phone number for geocacher's I've met and know personally. I then have a print out of my profile, and my cache summary. I'm also going to add the FAQ's off the web site so I can show this to people who don't know about geocaching.

My first section contains all my caches I've found in order. I print the cache page after I make my log entery.

Section 2 is caches I've hidden.

Section 3 is Travel bugs I've found.

Section 4 is travel bugs I own

section 5 is Bench marks I've found.

Email me and I can send you back pictures of my note book. I take it with me and leave it in my vehicle on every cache outing.

The site helps you keep track, too.

If you go to the "Hide & Seek" page and search by caches found by a username, it will give you a list of caches and the dates they are found.

I download this and have a .loc file with all my finds, and brief notes on each one in the comment field. EasyGPS will even calculate the distance between each one. I also have a route in the .loc file that has each cache in the order I visited them. This gives me total mileage, and a record of the specific order.

Dave_W6DPS

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

Hey CWL I like your idea of the personal travel bug. Let me see if I understand the process after reading the FAQ.

Step 1: I buy a Travel Bug.

Step 2: When I find a cache, I log it on this site. While logging my find, I place the travel bug in the cache, then retrieve it from the cache. This is a 'virtual' place and remove.

Step 3: Repeat step 2 with each find of a cache.

This would then log my finds for me, right???

I am really new at this, so bear with me if I have this totally goofed up!

Thanks!

"I took the road less travelled by, and that has made all the difference"

quote:
Originally posted by Dave_W6DPS:

But only to an extent. If some cacher decides to "recycle" his page (a big no-no in my book), or decides 3 or 4 months down the road to delete your legitimate find, if you don't have anything to compare it to, you may never know which one they deleted. I keep my eletronic list off-site for those contingencies.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

I just have one find so far but I PLAN to keep a palm-sized notebook and digi-camera for when I'm out in the field to track the cache data. (like which cache I found, is it on the target coords, is it cool, what items are traded, signed the logbook, etc)

Then when I get home I log all caches here at geocaching.com with pictures and descriptions. Then I'll update my webpage which links to all the different pages of caches I've found or hidden.

I found my first cache today!

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

quote:

But only to an extent. If some cacher decides to "recycle" his page (a big no-no in my book), or decides 3 or 4 months down the road to delete your legitimate find, if you don't have anything to compare it to, you may never know which one they deleted. I keep my eletronic list off-site for those contingencies.

That's a good point, I'll have to think about that some.

Team Kender - Willow and Dan exploring the Bay Area backroads!

I've been taking Digital Pictures since day one. I always take one of the cache with my GPS showing the Coords. Then I take another of the actual hiding place and another of the contents. And if the area is nice, or bring my Team along, I record our all our trip in pictures. Once I get home, Each cache has it's own folder in the order I found them, I also give each picture the same number and the name of the cache in question.

i ordered one of those rite in the rain log books, but it's taking a little longer to get here than the GPS did... so i'm looking the benchmarks until it does.

my first cache was found with a photographer in tow, so i gave tons of shots of that...

like the idea of a personal bug too...

oh - and have a new dig camera to photograph.

don't like excel at all, but i suppose that would be a good idea.

there is no knowledge, only things, which is really old knowledge.

quote:
Originally posted by Team Kender:

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

...I keep my electronic list off-site for those contingencies.

That's a good point, I'll have to think about that some.

I agree, and that is why I use a .loc file. After I post logs to the site, I do the search for my found logs and download those caches.

EasyGPS also allows you to easily view the cache online, so it works for me.

My two cents worth, refunds available on request. (US funds only)

I started a Word document with each web page of the cache I successfully find and the notes I put in it. I also started an Excel spreadsheet which includes my EPE and how close it put me along with the date and time and environment conditions such as terrain type, weather, and horizon masking. I'll probably import this data to an Access database for its flexibility.

Cheers!

TL

quote:

I agree, and that is why I use a .loc file. After I post logs to the site, I do the search for my found logs and download those caches.

Do you save each copy of the loc file? If someone removes your found log, the cache will no longer show up on the loc file either. This is, of course, solved by downloading the complete list EACH TIME YOU LOG A CACHE.

However, keeping the data in a database, if I notice a log missing, I can pull the loc file like you do, and translate it into an CSV format - and compare what I already have in my database with what Geocaching sees as my list. In less than 2 minutes, I can find what's missing if someone deletes my find. If you're just doing sequential Loc files, it's a little harder (but not impossible).

Just rambling. icon_wink.gif

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by Life Journey:

Hey CWL I like your idea of the personal travel bug. Let me see if I understand the process after reading the FAQ.

Step 1: I buy a Travel Bug.

Step 2: When I find a cache, I log it on this site. While logging my find, I place the travel bug in the cache, then retrieve it from the cache. This is a 'virtual' place and remove.

Step 3: Repeat step 2 with each find of a cache.

This would then log my finds for me, right???

I am really new at this, so bear with me if I have this totally goofed up!

You got it! yea its a virtual place and remove, but I usually have a pic of my GPSr at the cache site. If its a virtual I usually take a pic of the cache area. Everytime you virtually place the TB into the cache you can write your own log to look back on.

A wise man once said... "Its better to be pissed off than pissed on!"