Moved To A New Location

Mr. TSP

A somewhat infamous cache in my area, this one , was recently moved to a new location, by my calculations, 1.37 miles further west. I'm just wondering, if this was your cache, would you have archived the old one and relisted this as a completely new cache?

Not a big deal, since I can log it again as a new find, but it is a completely new container, new size (was a regular tupperware box now an altoids tin), and is at a completely new location 1.37 miles away.

I concede that this is not my cache and the owner can do as he pleases but just wondering if there is any rule regarding moving a cache this far.

Again, not a big deal.

Been a very long time since I've been active in these forums....but I'll put my 2 cents worth in here. It seems to me that moving it around in the origional area is ok because we don't want to have a negative impact in the cache area. However, if it's been moved as far as you say, then the approvers need to know. It is essentially a new cache, in a new area. Sounds like the cache hider is trying to get around the approval process. Not trying to be a cache police or anything, but by carefully abiding by the rules is the only way to ensure our sport continues without harsh restrictions by land managers. We are despretately trying to hang on to thousands of acres of state land for caching without having to pay huge cache placement fees.......(like anyone will do that....) Abide by the rules.......

I would have just listed a new cache and archived the old one. It's up to the cache owner to decide on that tho. I do think the local reviewr should already be aware of the movement. A cache owner can only make slight modification to the coords, less than 1/10 of a mile, anything bigger than that requires someone from the site to make the adjustment.

Edited by Corp Of Discovery
It's essentially a brand new cache. He should have archived it, and submitted it as new. By not doing so, a lot of people who found the original won't know about the new one, since it's being filtered out as a found cache.

Agree. A move of that distance and switch from a regular to a micro completely changes the nature of the hunt and it should be a new cache.

An admin would have to make this change and I'm surprised they allowed the owner to do this.

Edited by briansnat