Cracking Puzzle Caches

Here in Minnesota, there are plenty of puzzle caches with aser ieso flet ters inar epea ting sequ ence. (Obviously this is a very simple example.)

In the local paper, I solve the Cryptoquips with ease, probably because one clue is given. When I look at these puzzlers that don't give any hints, my brain short-circuits.

Where can I find the "Rosetta Stone" to help decypher these. I realize that each code is different, but I would like a link or a few examples to get the Spacely Sprockets in my head unjammed.

Winter (or gin) must have frozen my brain.

Thank you for any guidance (or lubrication).

SpamHead

ps, I know, lose the parenthesis.

Edited by spamhead

Well... You yourself recognized that each puzzle is different. So, there is no single hint, solution, guide etc. to point you to. You have to tackle each one separately. There is rarely any single key that guides more than a few puzzle caches. Some might be copies of others elsewhere, but the copy could be far away and few would know what it is. Others are truly original. I like to think that a puzzle cache I made is one of those. I don't know of any others like it, so no hints could really be given for it anyway. So you could also face one of those. Is it hard at times? Yes! But when you solve them, you will be all the more personally fulfilled!

Happy puzzle caching to you! :blink:

Edited by carleenp

Maybe the key is to stumble upon a simpler cache or two. I am not a programmer. I don't dream in code.

I feel like I am listening to a radio station that is broadcast in a different language with no idea of the format. Are they talking about the weather or I should clean my silverware iwth goat urine & coffee grounds?

So much for those internet I.Q. tests.

CarleenP is right in two respects:

1) There are hundreds of varieties of puzzles out there. Only experience and time can help you. Even ciphers themselves come in a huge range of varieties, from garden-variety cipher shifts and cryptograms to ... well, there's some out there that have been designed by serious armchair cryptographers. It's taken me a lot of study, blood, sweat and tears to crack some of these. If you're worried about codes and ciphers specifically --- go pick up a book on the subject, I can highly recommend "The Code Book" by Simon Singh as a good one.

2) Carleen's puzzle is definitely original, one I haven't seen cloned or repeated before. Nice work.

The variety of ways to create a puzzle cache is nearly endless. I am continuously surprised and amazed at the different creative ways cachers can hide a set of coordinates. I keep a constant eye out for puzzle caches around the country to keep my skills sharp so I get fooled less often... but there's tons of caches out there that just make my brain explode. You can't figger em all out. But you can figger some of em out if you don't mind doing some learning.

--Dave, The Cow Spots

I know what you mean Spamhead, I also live in Minnesota (Bloomington) and have seen these caches. I would also like to solve them but, have never been very good at this type of problem solving. I have a couple of caches that mention ROT-13 encryption, I have no clue what this is. When I checked out geocaching.com today I see just the problem you are referring to. I check the caches log and several people have figured it out and found the cache. Must be me. Al

I know what you mean Spamhead, I also live in Minnesota (Bloomington) and have seen these caches. I would also like to solve them but, have never been very good at this type of problem solving. I have a couple of caches that mention ROT-13 encryption, I have no clue what this is. When I checked out geocaching.com today I see just the problem you are referring to. I check the caches log and several people have figured it out and found the cache. Must be me. Al

I don't think I'm ruining anything by saying this, but ROT13 encryption is on the front of every single cache page with an encrypted hint.

Mmmfmm fmmfmpmmmfmpmppmpm mmpmppmpfppfpffmpp mmm pmfmfffmpfmppmfmpp MfmPpfPpfMfmPmfMpp fmmmppmmmpffmmfmfpmffpppmfm mfffmm fmmppfppmmppfmpmffppmmppfmm mmmpmfpmf mfffmp fmpmmmpmpmppfmm!! Mfmppfppfmpm Pmffmfmmfpmp!!

Will somebody please explain to me what this form of encryption is?

I don't claim to be an expert on encryption techniques, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night. The code above appears to be a variation of a caesar cypher.

fmmmffppmfffpmfmpp fmmfmfmmpfmmfmpmfffmpfmffmpmffppfppp :ph34r:

Yes; it is a simple substitution, but no--it is not a caesar cipher. It seems to be a base-3 representation of each character, using m, p, and f as the "digits", but when those characters are present in the clear text, they are represented by spaces in the "kenny-speak." Or something like that--I didn't take much time to study it, as it is not a very interesting cipher.

Besides finding "Kenny-speak" translators with Google...

Thanks; I get it know. (I could never stand that show.)

Here are some things that may be useful:

• There is almost always a clue to the cipher, either in the title or in the description. Often it can be one word that reveals the encryption method.
  • Google is your friend. Many ciphers that are not new. You can sometimes find the codebook.
  • Even if the cipher does not have an explicit codebook, the cipher is often well known. For example, lookup on google: substituition cipher, caesars box, vignere. There are others of course. Websites will give you clues on how to crack these.
  • Look at the cipher - does it look strange (punctuation, number of letters in each block). Also, do the letter frequencies 'look' normal. Consider this text:

CIEFH OUIIO ROOTO ADTLN TANNH UVEWL TOIGS EREDH BOTLR YCCTT EENHL AOOIO ORGEE ITUDP BFEOI LSUBE HEIYI SATLR AEDNO NTSEA OLRED UGOTD TKLSC OWHGT

The frequency of each letter seems to match approximately that in the english language, there is not a plethora of z's and q's. By chance there are even some 'words' in the encypted text This is a hint that the letters represent themselves (an e is an e) and that the cipher just needs a rearrangement of the letters.

Compare this to:

TQB S QBSPAE BKDFKB RL CFKN REB WBIIBQIBY RPSFIQ KBRWLPHMPFKR LTR REB JSM DL ALT KRBP AILAHWFQB

where there are too many q's. This is a hint that an e is not an e.
  • Finally, some ciphers are ingenious, and need special tools to crack them (tb's with a codeword on them, software from the web, and some just thought and time

That's a starter. The ciphers are from puzzle caches in my area, so please do not provide the clear text in the forum, should you be inclined to solve them.

Here is another one that has me stumped. GCM5XB :o

I'm not spoiling the puzzle if I tell you that this cache uses the Playfair cipher--a classic 19th-century cipher that is easy to use. If you do a Google search, you will find lot's of pages out there that explain it.

Keep in mind that in general, it is considered "bad form" to ask for solutions to specific puzzles. Kind of defeats the work that the puzzle makers put into the cache. :o

Relax,

I am not asking for answers, I am just utilizing the one tool I could think of to find other tools to solve these #@&*ing puzzles. :(

AJK: Thank you. At least now I have a few jumping off points.

spamhead

Here are a few things and sites I have used in my evil endeavors recently. JBF

Thank you Dr. Evil. This string is definitely worth "One Millyun Dollars" and is now bookmarked. Do you take that little hamster out caching with you? :rolleyes:

I'm pretty sure "Alice" the most tame chihuahua in the world would take offense to being called a hampster, but still that is quite funny. Check out one of my newest caches. Quite a challenge within a challenge.

Analytical Cache - just a plain old logical challenge

JBF

I mean Alice no harm. I have a little "Rat" Min Pin so I take abuse about her, too.

I love that Analytical cache. That is more up my alley.

Mmmfmm fmmfmpmmmfmpmppmpm mmpmppmpfppfpffmpp mmm pmfmfffmpfmppmfmpp MfmPpfPpfMfmPmfMpp fmmmppmmmpffmmfmfpmffpppmfm mfffmm fmmppfppmmppfmpmffppmmppfmm mmmpmfpmf mfffmp fmpmmmpmpmppfmm!! Mfmppfppfmpm Pmffmfmmfpmp!!

Will somebody please explain to me what this form of encryption is?

Hostage. It's a vocal encryption that employs the use of a gag over the mouth.

1) There are hundreds of varieties of puzzles out there. Only experience and time can help you. Even ciphers themselves come in a huge range of varieties, from garden-variety cipher shifts and cryptograms to ... well, there's some out there that have been designed by serious armchair cryptographers. It's taken me a lot of study, blood, sweat and tears to crack some of these. If you're worried about codes and ciphers specifically --- go pick up a book on the subject, I can highly recommend "The Code Book" by Simon Singh as a good one.

I did a search on google and found that this book is available to download for free. But beware this is a 600 MB file. It took me 3 attempts before I finally got the whole thing.

signh's web page