Live Gps Data On Your Laptop

Hi, is there software out there that can allow your GPS signal to be shown moving on some mapping software? We has some very expensive stuff here at work but I wanted to know if there was a simple program out there. Shareware maybe?

Thanks

Sherriff

Hi Sheriff,

If you have a Garmin then you can download NRoute which uses the MapSource maps. It will give you turn by turn instructions while driving.

If you have a Magellan, then I would suggest Streets & Trips by Microsoft. You need a serial port (or USB and converter) and a GPS that has NMEA.

I have used both while out caching. I usually use the NRoute (or "Matilda" as she has been nicknamed).

If you really want to get fancy, check out this forum discussion:

Creating Ms S&T Maps, Custom, Automated pushpins from GSAK db

I've tried it out and it's great.

We have just recently downloaded the nRoute program and we are very impressed. Turn by turn directions, trip routing, tracking, satelite status and lots more. All the information your GPSr will tell you on a much bigger screen. if you have a Garmin GPSr the nRoute software is a free download from Garmin and I also have the Garmin mapsource Topo and Metroguide maps. The combinations of the maps and nRoute is pretty amazing.

What do you consider expensive? And what did you want to do with it? Do you want topos or street navigation? If you are looking for decent topo maps, the Mapsource maps are marginal, at best. I would look into something like Memory-Map or Ozi Explorer. You will be able to use USGS maps (which you can get off the internet) or even more detailed maps (like DOQQs with <1m/pixel resolution).

Most of the big mapping packages have this feature of live positioning. But if you want autorouting, you will have to be a bit more selective.

One of my favorite programs, USAPhotoMaps will show your position live when you have your gps plugged into the computer. It is a free software that you download USGS (free) photos (b+w, some color) or TOPOS (old data). It won't do the autorouting, but it is free and works well with topos or photos.

I have a copy of Garmin's Metroguide for sale it will work on you GPS as well as Laptop for showing you position. There is also National Geographis Maps will do the same on a PDA or Laptop. It depends on what you price range is.

cheers

I have a copy of Garmin's Metroguide for sale it will work on you GPS as well as Laptop for showing you position. There is also National Geographis Maps will do the same on a PDA or Laptop. It depends on what you price range is.

cheers

I did the laptop tracking with NG Topo last weekend on an extended trip through some new areas, and I loved it. I also have MS S&T, but the Topo was more appropriate for what I wanted.

We have just recently downloaded the nRoute program and we are very impressed. Turn by turn directions, trip routing, tracking, satelite status and lots more. All the information your GPSr will tell you on a much bigger screen. if you have a Garmin GPSr the nRoute software is a free download from Garmin and I also have the Garmin mapsource Topo and Metroguide maps. The combinations of the maps and nRoute is pretty amazing.

I just used nRoute for the first time the other day. Wasn't expecting much but I was very pleased.

Went out and eBayed a car power cord for the laptop later that day!

BTW, it doesn't take much $$$. My nRoute laptop is an old thinkpad I got off eBay for $115.

I have a garmin Map 60cs and Mapsource. I downloaded nroute. It only gives me straight line route directios... no turns or anything. what am i doing wrong???

Drone

With nRoute displayed go into the "edit" pull-down menu, choose "preferences", click on the "routing" tab and select "use auto-routing". If that doesn't do it then maybe go in to Mapsource seperately and do the same thing.

Luck, Olar

DeLorme Street Atlas 2005 offers everything Streets and Trips offers plus Automated routing And Route Tracking including voice navigation. Very cool indeed--Used it all the was to Florida and back last month. If you get off route, it will recalculate the route and give you voice instructions to get you back on route