Do I Have To Have A Gps Now Days?

LJand3bugs

We played the game four years ago, looking for treasures, without a GPS. I'm having diffaculties with new web site...I remember it being much more user friendly, back then they gave a map and writen clues for caches. Not everyone used GPS back then. HELP!!

HELP!! I'm not sure I will be able to use a GPS. Do I have to use a GPS??????? :laughing:

You can look up the coordinates and then plot them onto a USGS topo map and use a compass, it may take longer to find the cache but it can be done.

with a USGS map you should use the UTM coordinates rather than the Lat Lon versions

There are also maps you can print from the cache page that may also help.

Geocaching dot com did not, to the best of my knowledge, formally provide extensive clues and maps for caches four years ago.

While it was a little more common in those days to describe to the hunter how to find a cache, this type of information was only on a handful of caches, and even then usually assumed the hunter had a GPS and got himself very close to the cache already.

Methinks you may have been participating in a similar, but unrelated activity called "Letterboxing." In Letterboxing, which has been around for far longer than geocaching, it is assumed that the hunter does not have a GPS. Clues and maps must be provided so that the hunter can find the box. You can check out Letterboxing here. Is this what you were doing four years ago?

Also, four years ago, this site was basically the same. Perhaps I'm blind to the changes that have been made, but despite all the added functionality to gc.com, it's look and general operation has remained mostly unchanged. The biggest change occurred only a month ago, but the layout and position of the butons on the front page is still similar to the old site.

Jamie

Thank you for your replys. But , I did infact play Geocaching. I have the pic's of the amo box with the writting on the side to prove it. This is the web site, just different.

They did give a map and pretty good clues like at mile marker 123 look for a tree with a bent arm, then head north ten feet ect. I found a few this way. Guess that was then , this is the new age. Darn computers. I just dont want to spen $150 plus and get frustrated trying to use it.(I dont know what to even buy)

I was looking through some caches and some give clues. Thank you LJ

Thank you for your replys. But , I did infact play Geocaching. I have the pic's of the amo box with the writting on the side to prove it. This is the web site, just different.

They did give a map and pretty good clues like at mile marker 123 look for a tree with a bent arm, then head north ten feet ect. I found a few this way. Guess that was then , this is the new age. Darn computers. I just dont want to spen $150 plus and get frustrated trying to use it.(I dont know what to even buy)

I was looking through some caches and some give clues. Thank you LJ

The layout and look of the website has changed a bit, but there is no change in the info it provides or basic functionality. Clues are up to the individual cache owner. Some give plentiful clues and some just post coordinates.

You can find geocaches without a GPS now the same way you did four years ago. There is no difference whatseover in the basic information presented on the cache pages.

BTW, a Garmin Geko 101 is $49 (if you shop around) and is extremely easy to use. My wife, who is no technology whiz by any stretch of the imagination, easily figured out how to use her Geko.