Sa Geocoin

geocacher_coza

Ooo, pretty money! Golum, golum. (Hmm, good idea, geo-rings). Why arn't the coins going to be trackable? Also, why are they not being produced in South Africa? And for that matter, why arn't there any posts of this on the South African section of this forum? The coins look great by the way.

Rodney

I put is under the travelbug heading for the simple reason so that everybody can get a shot at them! I thought EVERYBODY reads all the sections. Don’t worry I am reserving some for the South African market only. Did not know there will be such a big demand so I had to up the order, but don’t worry I will still keep most for us here in SA!

why are they not being produced in South Africa?

The simple reason is economics and wanting business! Sorry to say but the South African businesses DO NOT want business. :laughing: You must see how difficult it is just to get people to phone or email you back. I should show you some of the answers I got and then the one place that could and wanted to make them was about 30 times the price than in the USA! :rolleyes:

Why arn't the coins going to be trackable?

The reason why not trackable is that the new policy of Geocaching.com are that the coins can only be trackable through the official geocaching.com website and it cost extra money. Extra for each coin that are trackable payable to geocaching.com and extra also for the making of the coin as the numbering are not sequential but rather like the travelbug.(Letters in random order) This makes the manufacturing more expensive! This first run was only to "test the market" If I get a good response (and it looks like it!) I will make next years coin trackable.

For South Africans interested in the coins here are the tread shortcut----

South African Geocoin Thread

Edited by vandermerwe-family

Here are a photo of the proof 7c344063-e58f-4430-86d3-ad1aea56192a.jpg

For the South Africans --- Please let me know if you would like some. As soon as I have some I will anyway stash some in a few caches!

I will have 100 coins available for the South African market. Unfortunately I do not have a price available yet! Will only have as soon as I land them!

Edited by vandermerwe-family

Good for you - I also tried local manufactures to produce but they are just not interested - see my personal mail for my order!

If they were to be made trackable and extra cost was incurred I'm sure you would be able to sell them too!!! (At the very least I would be interested)

Making the SA cachers presence felt through the world is an important part of my mission with my TB's, as well as exchnage caches etc.

Next year we will get them made trackable. We can make them trackable without having them on the geocaching.com site but them we must remove the geocaching.com logo!

Next year I will plan things in advance and I will get them made with geocaching.com numbering and trackable on the site!

Just think of it this way. The inaugural coin will be good collector’s items soon see that only 300 where made!

I'll take 5 coins encluding the shipping and handling, if that's ok. If not please let me know how many you are willing to sell. How fun to put SA geocins in caches here in the states.

So who do I send my payment to?

Pepper

Edited by Pepper
Next year we will get them made trackable. We can make them trackable without having them on the geocaching.com site but them we must remove the geocaching.com logo!

Next year I will plan things in advance and I will get them made with geocaching.com numbering and trackable on the site!

Personally I do not prefer having trackabke items other than through geocaching.com, for the simple reason that there is too many variables / websites and this makes tracking more effort.

I would also be inclined to pay more for a geocaching.com trackable than any other.

Next year we will get them made trackable. We can make them trackable without having them on the  geocaching.com site but them we must remove the geocaching.com logo!

Personally I do not prefer having trackabke items other than through geocaching.com, for the simple reason that there is too many variables / websites and this makes tracking more effort.

I would also be inclined to pay more for a geocaching.com trackable than any other.

Here here!!

Update for South African Geocoin

I have not forgotten about the South Africans!

The coins should be on its way from the states soon!

Here are the list so far of pre-orders:

Africard -- 2

TB Hunter -- 2

Azaruk -- 2

Warthog -- 5

Who Stops -- 2

GlobalRat -- 10

Stefanoodle -- 2

AE_Rodney -- "maybe 2"

Jan Putte -- 2

Jari Lammi -- 10

Carol Vanlue -- 1

Jors -- 4

As soon as the coins is in SA I will let you know!

Sorry but NO more coins are available! You will have to wait for the 2006 coin!

Edited by geocacher_coza

Update

Sadly I have not received my coins from the USA yet! It was posted three weeks ago so it should be here soon!

I looks like we could be getting some more made soon. The list stand as it is now. I will try and see if I can make a plan to get one coin to jbvoges as well. If Rodney only take one I could give one to jbvoges. (I'll try my best, if not, you will have to wait and see if we get more made-sorry)

The pre-order list so far is:

Africard -- 2

TB Hunter -- 2

Azaruk -- 2

Warthog -- 5

Who Stops -- 2

GlobalRat -- 10

Stefanoodle -- 2

AE_Rodney -- "maybe 2"

Jan Putte -- 2

Jari Lammi -- 10

Carol Vanlue -- 1

Jors -- 4

For the Americans that have asked for coins on this thread---- I have transfered your names to this thread: USA Thread

Also to all Americans, please use the USA Threadto post names on the waiting list!

Geocacher

Seeing that there is great demand for the coins, I'll be happy to give up some of my consignment to be shared amongst some of the other cachers that are keen to get their paws on one.

I would still like to have at least 2, so will offer up 8 if there are any takers.

I see that 180 of the spectacular SA Geocoins have been sold in the USA.

The South African purchase list is nowhere near 180 -

Thus, and I very tentatively say this, if there are surplace SA Geocoins available, would it not be "nicer" to offer them to the South African Geocachers before allowing the USA Cachers to buy more. I know they have greater buying power, and there are far more of them...but hey...this is a first for SA and we should be proud to have these coins to "trade or travel"

At the moment I see the USA cachers have gone onto a waiting list, "Azaruk" only ordered 2 initially to give everyone else a chance to purchase. But if there are more available we would certainly buy more in order to spread the world that SA is a cool place to cache.

Just my thoughts....... :D

Azaruk

The reason for leaving the bulk of the coins in the USA was taken after the South African was given the option of buying the coins. Origanaly there were 200 coins allocated for USA and 100 coins for SA. The coins was offered on the 4 March, and on the 23 May, when I stopped the sale, the list was as follows:

Africard -- 2

TB Hunter -- 2

Azaruk -- 2

Warthog -- 5

Who Stops -- 2

GlobalRat -- 10

Stefanoodle -- 2

AE_Rodney -- "maybe 2"

Jan Putte -- 2

Jari Lammi -- 10

Carol Vanlue -- 1

Jors -- 4

Total 44 coins!

I even put the coin up for sale on my site. I got two responses from my site. Both from people in Europe. They are included in the list above. I then assumed nobody else want coins in South Africa and offered the rest to the Americans! Sorry about that. I had no idea some people wanted to order more!

BUT don't worry--- :D

There are 80 more coming to SA soon!I will anounce it as soon as it is on its way to SA. KVcoins promised it wil take only 4 to 5 weeks to make the new batch. Then another 6 to 8 weeks to get to South Africa

Edited by geocacher_coza

Hi there!

Although we've been active geocachers for ages, we only recently discovered the forum site. Didn't have a clue about SA Geocoins. When you do receive your next lot, we really would love to purchase some. Five would be fantastic, but don't want to be greedy, so will settle for whatever you can spare. Please do let us know the cost involved and how and when we need to pay.

Thanks a million!

Tricky Vicky & Mickey

There are 80 more coming to SA soon!

Fantastic!

We'll take some!

I am surprised that you had such a poor response from SA, it's a magnificent coin, and I would have thought that you would have been over-subscribed with orders.

Are they numbered? I understand that they will not be trackable through geocaching.com, but, if numbered, could be trackable through one of the other sites.

Please let us know when they arrive and some idea of the costs involved. Thanks.

Edited by Azaruk

There are 80 more coming to SA soon!I will anounce it as soon as it is on its way to SA. KVcoins promised it wil take only 4 to 5 weeks to make the new batch. Then another 6 to 8 weeks to get to South Africa

If any are still available I would like to get my hands on five. (Even willing to pay to them too :lol: )

Good news:

I have the coins in my possession!

Price = R49.00 each

People that have ordered please email me and I can get all my details to you.

One sad note is that I only have 40 coins! The coins were sent in two parcels and one parcel is still not here/lost/late. I hope it is not lost.

I can still accommodate everybody that have put in an orders as Globalrat have reduced his order from 10 to 2 coins.

Africard -- 2

TB Hunter -- 2

Azaruk -- 2

Warthog -- 5

Who Stops -- 2

GlobalRat -- 2

Stefanoodle -- 2

AE_Rodney -- 1

Jan Putte -- 2

Jari Lammi -- 10

Carol Vanlue -- 1

Jors - 4

jbvoges- 1

TOTAL--- 36 coins (leaves me with 4 coins for myself :blink: )

Above are the cachers I can give coins to now.

The rest will go on the waiting list for the next batch of coins.

Tricky Vicky & Mickey --- 5

Azaruk -- ??

Stuck on WGS84 --- 5

tttedzeins --- 4

Edited by geocacher_coza

I have now received my SA Geocoins and they look great. Thanks to Geocacher!!!

Before I let them out into the wild, I would just like to know if they are trackable right now and if so where do we activate and track them through.

If not, any suggestions out there?

Hey Warthog,

We are working on it, though as of yet have not been in communication with the coins' creator or any of the other SA stats people. Also work has been keeping us away from our valuable Geocaching-Programming time.

Will keep you posted.

All the same, while we are on the topic, are there any suggestions out there, as to how these should be tracked? We were thinking of allowing the owner to activate the coin on a website (making it live) and then the cacher that picks it up needs to go to the site and add a log that he/she has found it. As the site progresses we hope to "draw some useful stats and other pretty eye-candy stuff that makes people happy.

I'd really like to know how many SA Geocoins have been made, and if more will be made next year or if they will be different. On the back of the coin it says 2005, so I'm guessing that there wont be more, or will they have a different design next year?

I've looked on the web and there are loads of trackable coins out there, even ones that look like ammo boxes. It's amazing how people get into the coin side of Geocaching.

I have more coins available.

Some of the original people also have not paid and taken their coins!

Rodney I have ideas for next years coins. Give me a call and we can meet. Will need some drawings made etc.

Any other suggestions (from all you out there) what to put on the coin will be welcome.

I thought of famous landmarks on the back of the coin for the next few years.