Indiana Geocoin

Team Tecmage

Rupert2 did a lot of great work on the coin. The date will appear on the reverse (bridge side). That will be the side that gets changed annually. I submitted the design to Aaron Charles Productions (Coins and Pins) for a quote. Once we have a final design, I'll shut down this thread, and open one in the Travel Bug Forum.

Right now, we have requests for about 370 coins. At minimum we should have 500 minted- possibly 750 minimum once we see the final orders.

Thanks Guys for all your work on the coin The final desogn looks great. Looking forward to seeing the actual coin.....

Cheers

Charles

Guys, I don't want to be a downer or anything, and I say this will all due respect.

How does Narrows Bridge represent the State of Indiana, geocaching, or make a connection between the 2? I live in NW Indiana, and perhaps we're uncultured. I asked several people at work and friends, and none of them had any idea what that bridge was, and until this coin, I did not either.

I know you were grasping at straws trying to come up with a symbol for Indiana, but I feel that perhaps the bridge was a last minute cop-out since nothing else better was thought of?

The coin is a nice coin, and I really appreciate the hard work going in to it. However, besides the word geocaching, I have a hard time seeing this as a geocoin. I look at all the other state's coins with strong connections to the activity, and we have an outline of our state and a bridge.

It's very sad with the bridge being burned down and I agree that we want to honor it. But putting it on a coin with the cords seems like more of a cache advertisement or bridge memorial rather than a geocoin.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and I sincerely apologize if I sound that way. But as an Indiana geocacher, I just wanted to say my peace before these go into print.

Hello cexhun!

No need for apologies as I am always open to constructive criticism. Yours is definitely constructive and I greatly appreciate the feedback.

If you search back thru this thread you will find that after we posted a design for the front of the coin, I made a very similar comment (on my own design) as the one you just did. These silly things are starting to resemble state quarters more so than something representing geocaching.

In response, Team Tecmage revealed, what I interpreted to be, an absolutely brilliant concept. Rather than dedicating the back to Groundspeak, travlerstags or some other generic symbol, we would dedicate the back to geocaching in Indiana. This is something that few coins have done to date.

For clarification purposes, I was working on rendering the Narrows Bridge photo long before the Bridgeton Bridge was torched. The Bridge image was not intended to commemorate Bridgeton. That was just a coincidence.

The date is being removed from the front of the coin and placed on the back. The concept right now is to create a new design for the back representing some specific cache within Indiana. The 2006 back of the coin could be a scene from caching on Trail Creek in Michigan City, a round barn in Howard County or a picture of Angel Mounds in Evansville. It would be impossible to find one thing to represent caching in Indiana so why even attempt it. I believe Tecmage’s vision is to represent caching in Indiana through what will be an entire series of geocoins. The bridge definitely does not represent NW Indiana, but give it a couple of years and you will most likely see something that does. Better yet, make a suggestion of something in your area that can be used on the back of a coin.

I do not mean to present ideas or concepts on behalf of anyone else, but that is my interpretation of where we are headed.

Again feedback is always appreciated.

Hello cexhun!

No need for apologies as I am always open to constructive criticism. Yours is definitely constructive and I greatly appreciate the feedback.

If you search back thru this thread you will find that after we posted a design for the front of the coin, I made a very similar comment (on my own design) as the one you just did. These silly things are starting to resemble state quarters more so than something representing geocaching.

In response, Team Tecmage revealed, what I interpreted to be, an absolutely brilliant concept. Rather than dedicating the back to Groundspeak, travlerstags or some other generic symbol, we would dedicate the back to geocaching in Indiana. This is something that few coins have done to date.

For clarification purposes, I was working on rendering the Narrows Bridge photo long before the Bridgeton Bridge was torched. The Bridge image was not intended to commemorate Bridgeton. That was just a coincidence.

The date is being removed from the front of the coin and placed on the back. The concept right now is to create a new design for the back representing some specific cache within Indiana. The 2006 back of the coin could be a scene from caching on Trail Creek in Michigan City, a round barn in Howard County or a picture of Angel Mounds in Evansville. It would be impossible to find one thing to represent caching in Indiana so why even attempt it. I believe Tecmage’s vision is to represent caching in Indiana through what will be an entire series of geocoins. The bridge definitely does not represent NW Indiana, but give it a couple of years and you will most likely see something that does. Better yet, make a suggestion of something in your area that can be used on the back of a coin.

I do not mean to present ideas or concepts on behalf of anyone else, but that is my interpretation of where we are headed.

Again feedback is always appreciated.

You nailed what Tracy and I were thinking. We're fairly new to NW Indiana. In trying to come up with an image that represented Indiana, we learned about the numerous covered bridges, and other Indiana features. We originally tried a four-panel image and it just didn't work.

We are trying to do something different from other states. If you look at the Idaho Coin, with the exception of the four-panel logo, everything is Idaho-related. The four-panel is filled with images from the state bird to state seal. I really think we have the opportunity to make something distinct and recognizable.

Rupert2 is so right- if you have any ideas, please let us know.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you are trying to do, and I agree it's a very difficult task. And I fully understand not wanting to slap the generic Groundspeak logo on there or another oft used symbol.

I was just looking at Michigan Geocacher's logo, and I was really excited to have something as brilliant and creative as that for our state. Not saying ours isn't creative, but it really isn't a geocaching logo. I'm normally not one to critisize without a solution, but this one is a bit over my head due my relatively rookie status. With our state being known by Larry Bird, Corn, and Indy 500, the options are relatively limited.

Thanks for the clarification. I understand what you are trying to do, and I agree it's a very difficult task. And I fully understand not wanting to slap the generic Groundspeak logo on there or another oft used symbol.

I was just looking at Michigan Geocacher's logo, and I was really excited to have something as brilliant and creative as that for our state. Not saying ours isn't creative, but it really isn't a geocaching logo. I'm normally not one to critisize without a solution, but this one is a bit over my head due my relatively rookie status. With our state being known by Larry Bird, Corn, and Indy 500, the options are relatively limited.

Thanks for the comments. You're right though about the bridges- there are only TWO in NW Indiana and they were built in the 1990s!

Originally, we were looking to incorporate the Gx logo like Michigan, but the combination of the state and state flag made that idea redundant. At least one company has a two-tone coin that might produce a real dazzling effect for the coin.

Please put me down for 3 coins. I'm not in any groups, and I'd like to be added to your list.

Thanks,

Redwing_dave

Hi Dave,

You are down for three coins.

Put me down for 5 coins if this Massachusetts cacher is allowed :unsure:

I've been meaning to get back to Indiana ....... gotta love the F1 race in June!!

Any idea on the final price and when they will be ready? (I never was good at waiting!) :o

Thanks and good question. We've been trading emails with a company and we're looking at four weeks from ordering to delivery. It would take a couple of more weeks if we were to request a preproduction coin. Right now, I think we should give people two weeks to order, so we're looking at having coins early to mid-July. Unless something major changes, I expect price to be $4/coin, plus shipping.

There will be a thread opened up for orders in the next couple of days in the Travel Bug section. I want to make sure we have a fairly accurate count on the number of coins, because we will not be able to increase the order once production starts (although we can reorder).

Right now, if everyone pays for the coins they have committed to here, an order of 500 would sellout.

Did you get us on the list for 3 coins? We posted back on April 23rd and did not get a reply that we were on the list like others have so wanted to be sure you had us in the count. The coin looks great and we are looking forward to adding your coin to our collection. Thanks.

Did you get us on the list for 3 coins? We posted back on April 23rd and did not get a reply that we were on the list like others have so wanted to be sure you had us in the count. The coin looks great and we are looking forward to adding your coin to our collection. Thanks.

Hi ogeo,

Yes you were added to the list, sorry for not acknowledging it. I will post a list of who has requested what in the new thread.

The bridge drawing looks great! Why was Narrows Bridge chosen? (I have nothing against it -- just curious.)

*Daphne*

Mysteries Inc.

Daphne,

Both Rupert2 and I were attempting to render pictures of bridges into something usable. The Narrows Bridge happened to be the image that looked best.

Hey, this is the same technique they used for the Colorado coin. Delay production until 50% of gc.com orders one. :)

:)

I didn't think of that, thanks! :) The artwork is ordered, and the coins are to follow immediately. I have one open question with the good people at Paypal, and we are go!

If its not too late could you put me down for 2.

Thanks!

Gotcha

Not to add to the 'me too' list, as I should already be on it :) is it getting near time to post the accumulated initial interest list to start pruning who and how-many ?

If its not too late could you put me down for 2.

Thanks!

Gotcha

Not to add to the 'me too' list, as I should already be on it :) is it getting near time to post the accumulated initial interest list to start pruning who and how-many ?

Actually, it's time to do just that. I have you down for 3.

Edited by Team Tecmage