Indiana Geocoin

Team Tecmage

The following were my comments when I sent the photo to Team Tecmage:

"Let's try this as a starting point. The design is represented as a

single color while I believe we are looking a multi-color. Those colors can

be added as we get further into it. The metal color of the coin can

also obviously be adjusted. I guess the thing that strikes me is that it represents nothing about geocaching. Having said that, I am not sure what to add that would improve it."

Team Tecmage indicated they would like to stay away from the official GC Logo. Good suggestion...

I think it needs something a little more adventureous. Right now it looks like what you would expect to see on a state quarter.

There are my two cents worth.

Edited by Rupert2
Or if you have a design that works better in just metal you can use Pressed Metal as was suggested at the start of the thread and cut the coin cost in half.

If we can make it work, I would like to put together a coin with color. I PM'd NurseDave. A coin with no color is still an option, and now that we have a preliminary design, an estimate can be requestd from Pressed Metal.

Rupert2 now has some of the sample coins. He plans to add some color to the design.

The Indiana State Flag has a blue background with gold stars, torch and rays. A couple of different things come to mind as possible modifications to the current design- 1) color the state blue, and the torch, stars, rays and "Indiana" gold, or 2)look into a two-tone coin (Nickel and Gold). The two-tone coin is polished Nickel and polished Gold. Combine that with a 3-D Die, and we could have the state outlined (raised or depressed metal), with blue coloring. The flag elements could then rise out of the state in gold! Color the lettering around the obverse in blue, and we would have a very nice face for the coin.

We still need a reverse for the coin. A four panel GC-like logo would give us the opportnity to include caching and indiana elements to the coin. One idea would be to include a covered bridge- Indiana has planety of them. Maybe we could include the INGEO logo as one of the panels. I have requested permission to use it witht he coin. Any other ideas?

If we are thinking about releasing a new coin every year, then we can change it up every year- same obverse and different reverse every year. Some states have already started with '06 designs.

:huh: I would be interested in several depending on the price. no matter what the price is i will take at least 5.

Maybe in the the 4 coners you could put

1. covered bridge.

2. race car

3. indiana geo caching logo

4. corn or something.

I'm sure once people would see them everyone would want one. i know that some coins are selling on ebay. if nothing else you could sell them there

Check out Rupert2's latest iteration, in color:

680d3359-9378-4695-b061-1cf3a9bcb521.jpg

Seeing this coin in color has me thinking about either two-tone or polished silver, nickel, or chrome. I have found the cost for two-tone at Aaron Charles.

I also requested an estimate from Pressed Metal.

Team BubbyMac has some ideas for the reverse, and we found some pictures of covered bridges.

I guess the thing that strikes me is that it represents nothing about geocaching.  Having said that, I am not sure what to add that would improve it."

Team Tecmage indicated they would like to stay away from the official GC Logo.  Good suggestion...

I think it needs something a little more adventureous.  Right now it looks like what you would expect to see on a state quarter.

How about a small Gx logo to the right & left of state as a space filler and to make some reference to caching? Or would that appear too cluttered?

Just a thought. :laughing:

bgf

I guess the thing that strikes me is that it represents nothing about geocaching.  Having said that, I am not sure what to add that would improve it."

Team Tecmage indicated they would like to stay away from the official GC Logo.  Good suggestion...

I think it needs something a little more adventureous.  Right now it looks like what you would expect to see on a state quarter.

How about a small Gx logo to the right & left of state as a space filler and to make some reference to caching? Or would that appear too cluttered?

Just a thought. :laughing:

bgf

How about adding the small Gx Logo on the back? Have the INGEO logo, GX Logo, Indy Car, and Covered Bridge as four panels on the back?

Keep in mind that we need to be VERY careful with the use of the 4-pannel GX logo. They no longer allow for that logo to be modified in any way. I think some have gotten aways with it only becuase they did not ask permission to use or have asked years back when it did not matter than much.

I personally like the public domain GX logo as used on the MI and KY geocoins. That logo could be used with some of the other design concepts mentioned here.

Edited by Rupert2

I think that here in the design phase, simplicity would be best. We could try to cram as many things that are "representative" of Indiana onto the coin, but then it might start to resemble one of those ancient Mayan calendars.

FWIW, I think that this would be great for one side of the coin.680d3359-9378-4695-b061-1cf3a9bcb521.jpg Shout out to Rupert2, 'cause that's really nice!

But what should go on the other side? How many things are truly "representative" of Indiana?

Let's start a list. I'll even go first!

1. The Indy 500. (How do you put that on a coin? Do we even want to?)

Food for thought...

I'm still in for five, regardless...

Dave of Team Flashncache

So many of the geocoins look cluttered. This one is really classy. The GX logo or some other public domain design on the back would tie it into caching just fine. Good work! I look forward to adding it to the collection!

That color version of the Indiana Crossroads is 'spectacular'. Really a great new look relative to the other state coins. Can't wait to see the reverse (the MIGO ones look pretty good if you're looking for a generic reverse).

Tracy and I have been racking our brains for ideas. Since we have the state on one side, would we really want to put it on the other side? If so, we can use the INGEO logo, or create something like MI or KY- combining the state and the Gx logo. If not, how about featuring another image with the Gx logo? Like a covered bridge with the logo?

I really like the new design, but is there a reason for the year on it? If it's left off, then that can be a general coin that doesn't have to change year by year - I'm thinking that might make the cost cheaper, at least in the long run, if you don't have to have a die change every year.

I'm not sure how they set up the dies, so it may not be an issue.

I really like the new design, but is there a reason for the year on it? If it's left off, then that can be a general coin that doesn't have to change year by year - I'm thinking that might make the cost cheaper, at least in the long run, if you don't have to have a die change every year.

I'm not sure how they set up the dies, so it may not be an issue.

Paws,

You are right- if we leave the year off, we could order more coins and the Die Charges would be 0. If we change one side annually, then the year is a good way of providing some chronological info for the series of coins.

If we want to use the side we have a design for, then we should move the year to the other side. The die charge would be for one side- $75-130 depending on the company we choose.

My group will order somewhere around 60.  Give you a had number when you're ready.

Note that some of the people - like me - that had previously expressed interest in this coin are now part of the group that Nurse Dave mentioned.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't know you were part of that group. I will adjust the list accordingly.

Any interest in numbering the coins (not for tracking)?

FWIW..... Even though it adds 30-40 cents cost to the coin, I like the numbering concept. There is just something about having them individually unique, that appeals to many.

Re: PawiTraction suggestion, A couple of coins have included the year with the coin number. Such as 2005-0000. Something similar to that would allow for year changes & additional orders without die fees.

bgf

Love the design Rupert2! :rolleyes:

We vote for numbering (it's a collector thing, not tracking)

Place the year on the side that will change and use each of the Indian themes each year... i.e. covered bridge with Gx now, Indy car with Gx next year etc. The new theme could be voted on here or at a Geo-picnic…

In any case put us down for $50! :rolleyes:

Many thanks to all who are working to put this together!!! Wish I had an artistic bone in my body... :)

DnrDmr

Great suggestion!

I previously stated that we should not worry about numbering from a tracking perspective. Perhaps dnrdmr, BF et al. have a good point about numbering from the collectability angle. I like this suggestion.

I will see what I can get worked up on the covered bridge theme.

Keep the suggestions rolling in. I will be out of the country next week, but hopefuly will be checking the site.

Later

Edited by Rupert2
My group will order somewhere around 60.  Give you a had number when you're ready.

Note that some of the people - like me - that had previously expressed interest in this coin are now part of the group that Nurse Dave mentioned.

I'm also part of Nurse Dave's coin group. Please adjust your list accordingly. Thanks!

I'm also part of Nurse Dave's coin group. Please adjust your list accordingly. Thanks!

I am part of this list as well so please adjust your totals by four. I will be receiving the coins via the list that Nursedave will be placing with you.

Damenace

I realize there are several people that are in the Geocoin Group (including yours truly). Here's the list of people that have expressed an interest in the coin so far:

Bluegillfisherman $50 worth

Rupert2 10

SixDogTeam

Team Tigger International

Strohem

Barnabasbenn 4

Nurse Dave 10

Team Flashncache 5

Pepper 5

KC0GRN 2-3

Buddaman 4-5

Mintaka

Team Noltex

Shop99er 3

Team Shydog 10

MarcusArelius 4

Berryzang 3

Team Tillery 3

Pghlooking 4

Mauison 5

Mysteries, Inc

WorkerofWood 5

Allanon 3

Team Nazgul 5

Kealia 2

Sgt Stitches 4

Geo Crickets 5

Damenace 4

Shasties 4

Tin-ear 5-10

Top-Pin $20 worth

M&M Hunter 3

Hammerjane 10

Willcall 5

Doughball 3

Mary and Gary Adventurers 5

MRCOGEO 3-5

Dliming 10

Vds 3

Facedances 3

CENT5 10

Thefabfive 5

Lostseeker 2

Night2Train4 5

Indy Diver 20

the Badge & the Butterfly 2

Cav Scout 5

Rustybeercan 3

Jake- Team A.I. 4

Night Hawk 5

Robinego 5

Poppagoth

The troxells 3

Grandpa Rocks & Grouchy Gramma 5

Go Jaybee 10

Dnrdmr $50 worth

Ghostwriter13 5-10

Team BubbyMac 10

I did not include 20-40 for my team. I will be updating this periodically.

Edited by Team Tecmage

I am part of this list as well so please adjust your totals by four. I will be receiving the coins via the list that Nursedave will be placing with you.

Damenace

We're part of Nurse Dave's coin group too. So our 3 will come through that order.

I just saw this thread (where have I been?)

Is it too late to get in on this? If not, Team Neos would like 5 coins.

Thanks!

Welcome to the list. We are still designing, so it's not too late. Once we have the design ready, we will close this thread and open a new one.

Damenace

We're part of Nurse Dave's coin group too. So our 3 will come through that order.

Me too (see how many of us will quote the same post...)

Damenace

Me too! :o Oh, I'll run the two lists against each other and filter the group out.

Damenace

Me too! :laughing: Oh, I'll run the two lists against each other and filter the group out.

(This quoting within a quote, within a quote, within a quote.... is fun)

I'm in Nurse Dave's group too, but would be interested in keeping my request for 5 directly (and will either opt out on the group order, or will take both). If this complicates your life too much, please do the easiest thing. Thanks very much for being open to all of us!

I'm in Nurse Dave's group too, but would be interested in keeping my request for 5 directly (and will either opt out on the group order, or will take both). If this complicates your life too much, please do the easiest thing. Thanks very much for being open to all of us!

Willcall,

I will leave the decision to you. I'm flexible either way. I'm going to post to the group once we are closer to ordering, so others that have posted here can let me know whether they are going through the group.