Indiana Geocoin

Team Tecmage

Presently, there is no Indiana geocoin, and I'm not aware of anything in the mill. I would love to see one representing our state, as many others have done.

I have been collecting them for seveal months now, and have been following the various threads on them. There is a lot of interest in them, at least nationally. Orders raging from 300-1500 have all sold out very quickly.

The procurement process, has ranged from an organisational project to just one person handling the whole thing. Quite a job for one, but it's been done.

Anyone interested in spearheading a project, I would be more than happy to assist in way possible.

bgf

I was thinking about having Pressed Metal do the job. They have the Geocaching Logo, and if we get permission, we can save $75 in die charges and use the one hey already have. I don't think we could have a color coin made there.

bgf, any ideas on places to have one made?

There are literally dozens of places to have them made. A couple of other places that I see mentioned quite often, are Coins and Pins, and KV Coins. It seems a lot of cachers have used all three of these companies and have been happy with the end product.

A rough idea of what is wanted in the coin would help tremendously before price shopping. The size & weight of the coin, type of metal finish, and how much, if any color. These "options" vary widely at the manufacturers. Of course the quantity is the largest variable in the end cost.

If one hasn't seen very many different coins, Team FISUR's virtual coin collection is a good site to look. That would give an idea of what can and is being done with the coin designs.

bgf

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geocoins/index.html

Yeah, I checked out Team Fisur's site- wonderful collection. Are you interested in color on a coin? I would be willing to skip color for a coin with great detail. Moun10Bike's new coin is great- lots of detail and good color. I also like the Oregon coin.

Edited by Team Tecmage

Depending on the design, no color can be, and has been the way to go. My personal opinion on the coins I've seen, is that several colorless ones are much more appealing than many that have color. So, the basic coin design should probably determine this.

M10B's newest coin is one of the finest examples of color usage. Photos don't do that one justice. Simply has to be seen to be fully appreciated.

bgf

Tracy and I talked about a few ideas for the coin:

Outline of Indiana with (possibly blue background) state flag inside that (possbly gold torch and stars). Lettering around the edge with INDIANA at the top, and CROSSROADS OF AMERICA at the bottom. Other side- GC Logo?

Would we want a trackable coin?

I have assembled a pretty good collection of geocoins. IMHO, the best quality coin is clearly the one done by AGA. If my memory serves correctly they had KV coins do that one.

Do not bother with the trackable aspect. It just adds cost and 99% of them will end up in collections or as FTF prizes anyways.

Check out Indy Diver's Geocoin. It's an Indiana geocoin with a personal touch.

FISUR,

Thanks for compiling a pretty amazing collection of coins. I saw Indy Diver's coin on your page! I believe that's his personal logo placed inside Indiana. It's a nice coin. Tracy and I looked at many of the coins on your website- particularly the state coins for ideas. The Idaho coin is full of detail, and it got us thinking about what we would want on an Indiana coin. Our post above really covered our initial thoughts. We figured we could possibly add color and detail on the "state side" of the coin. That one side had everything we could think of on it.

Tracy and I talked about a few ideas for the coin:

Outline of Indiana with (possibly blue background) state flag inside that (possbly gold torch and stars). Lettering around the edge with INDIANA at the top, and CROSSROADS OF AMERICA at the bottom. Other side- GC Logo?

Would we want a trackable coin?

I like the ideas here. Limited numbers of colors within specific boundrys would be nice. I've seen some that, maybe excessive colors led to the image appearing "cartoonish".

A really nice idea for possible text.

Rupert2 hit it on the nailhead as to where most all the coins will end up. The nicer the coin, the sooner it will get there.

I've seen the topic of tracking discussed extensively on a lot of sites. No tracking, tracking and where to track have been a tough issue to deal with.

Food for thought, three coin examples.

Idaho coin. No tracking, no numbers....preorders only... sold very well.

Georgia coin, (GGA), numbered, no tracking.... sold out quickly.

North Carolina, (NCGA).. the first coin I've seen that the initial order had both tracked and nontracked coins to offer. The tracked coins sold out quickly, leaving nontracked in stock. A second order of tracked coins was quickly placed. So a preference for tracked coins was clearly demonstrated here.

bgf

Good points bgf.

Thanks for the feedback. I too think some of the coins have a cartoonish look because of the coloring. Idaho is the exception, lots of color and it looks great. The two colors are from the state flag, and would probably work well. We weren't sure about ideas for the other side of the coin.

I don't really have a preference about tracking. I think if anything, I would prefer to avoid tracking. GC is starting to accept other trackables besides TBs and USA coins, but Rupert2's comment is on point- most coins are going to be given away and/or collected.

Idaho is the exception, lots of color and it looks great.

Team Tecmage,

I had withheld any particular opinion on this coin, as I knew I was due to get some in. Wanted to see it in person. Received today.

I can easily sum up my thoughts on it with one word. WOW!

If you would like, PM me your mail address and I'll send one over to you.

bgf

I love the idea of an Indiana coin! All of the ideas here sound great. Tracking or no tracking....I'm open on that idea. I think they would sell out pretty easily. Count me in as a big supporter of the idea and let me know if I can do anything to make this a reality.

Thanks! Strohem

Strohem, welcome to the thread and endevour.

Do you know anyone that's good with Photoshop? I have access at work, but not home, plus I'm not that good at using it. I think if we start putting together something, we'll see responses from more people.

Richard

Why not go with a standard size?  I think it would look pretty odd to be smaller than other coins out there and the cost difference isn't much.

I'd have to agree with ND. The 40mm (1.5") seems to have become the standard diameter used. I had found the cost difference to be negligible. Besides, some of us would need a magnifying glass to see the smallest ones. :P

bgf

Just a quick update. I have started a spreadsheet to get the process going of figuring out options and costs based on the different companies out there. I also ordered some sample coins from a company. When they arrive, I will post them so everyone can get an idea of some of the options out there.

ME! ME! I forgot I hadn't chimed in for my request yet. Put me down for $50 worth, just wherever that ends up quantity wise.

I do like the ideas on the blue & gold. The proposed text sounds great to me. The flip-side........There's a bunch of things along the line of the public domain Gx logo that could be used and or modified. Then the compass rose as well. Or a hybrid blend of both. Sheesh! I'm glad I'm not designing this! My pea-brain would explode.

bgf

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geologo/

Edited by bluegillfisherman
I thought it was just a thread of ideas, but if you're getting orders I'll take my usual 10.

ND, it started out as ideas, but there is demand so, we're building a list while working out the design. You got 10.

Pghlooking, got your 4.

Edited by Team Tecmage

Following bgf's link, here are the initial public domain logos created in '02.

Leatherman:

geol1.jpg

many coins are using some variant of this.

Gustav:

geologo3.gif

we could work with some variant of this as well.

I have been told that there are some restrictions on the GC logo. Right now, I don't want to rule it out, but we should consider alternatives for the coin's obverse.

UPDATE:

There are a few restrictions on using GC's logo. We would have to run the design past Groundspeak.

Edited by Team Tecmage