Influences

I was first introduced to Geocaching back in 2002 by Mountain_Wanderer, a person I barely knew at the time. Our daughters were playing for the same high school basketball team, and we had traveled from New Hampshire to Arizona for a tournament with the team. One morning, MW asked me if I wanted to tag along with him while he did some 'geocaching', and after he gave me a quick overview of what that meant, I said yes. I followed MW to a number of caches during the week we were out in AZ, and I was hooked.

It occurred to me today that my personal style of geocaching was defined during those first days when I followed MW around Arizona. MW's particular manner of planning, how he would approach and hunt for the cache, his enthusiasm for seeking caches of all types, his attention to the details of the logs, his respect for cache and the area around it, the way he was 'stealthy', his geocaching etiquette, all these things which I observed in that first week define my current style of geocaching. My techniques have changed as I have found more caches, but my basic style remains much the same.

Sometimes I wonder what life would be like if, during that trip to Arizona, my mentor had told me that micros were dumb? Or that virtuals were a waste of time? What if he had signed each of his logs 'TNLN TFTC' instead of writing at least a little bit about each and every adventure? If he had, my style might be completely different today.

So thanks, Mountain_Wanderer, for getting me started in the way you did!

These days, I find that I am influenced heavily by what I read in the forums. As a result of being exposed to such a wide range of views and opinions held by other geocachers (most of whom I'll never get a chance to meet), I realize that there are numerous ways to view almost every aspect of this game. I'm still learning, and my style is evolving, thanks to the ideas and views put forth in these forums.

But all this got me wondering who, or what, influences (or has influenced) the personal caching style of others?

nittany dave introduced us to this great sport/hobby. As we cached more and more we developed our own preferences and styles. Ms horsgeeks loves the long walks but will gladly go with me on the micros and numbers runs. Jason horsegeek and I have our own style too. WE LIKE EVERYTHING, all types of long walks, drive-ups, etc. etc. We just like to go geocaching and have a good time regardless of what type of cache it is. We have just recently been going out in small groups 3 - 5 and have begun to enjoy that immensely. Ms horsegeeks and I are going on a 5 mile walk on a cache tomorrow and 4 - 5 miles on Saturday. Then Jason horsegeek and I will go on a cache run into SC Sunday for about 12 hours with Bushwhack Bob. We just enjoy geocaching all ways and for all types of caches.

I discovered caching by accident when doing a Google search. I already had a GPS, and I went out and tried it. I was hooked, and soon started placing my own caches. My style of both hiding and hunting has evolved--influenced by caches I have found. After a few dozen finds (and DNFs), you get a pretty good idea of what makes a good cache (for you, at least). I just kind of figured it out as I went along. The forums help, too.

I first found geocaching on the internet. I actually did a number of caches before I even owned a gps. I still prefer the hunt with just a topo and a compass, but I keep a gps in my car to let me know when I am close to a cache. Then I just dig out the map and get at it. Sometimes I will use the gps, especially when caching with other people.

I came across a link to Geocaching.com when i was looking at some 'urban adventure' website almost a year ago. I was hanging out with a friend and we both thought it sounded cool, so we went out and found one that was close by. we didnt have a gps, but we used the topozone maps to find it. I found my first 13 without the gps. That had a lot of influence on my caching style i think. I usually just get close with the gps and then think "where would i put a cache around here?" Also, i look at the topozone map for pretty much every cache i look for. It is often very helpful even when using the gps.

I've actually never cached with anybody that i didnt introduce caching to, but when that happens it will be interesting to see how our styles vary.

I learned about Geocaching almost a year ago from a segment on NPR radio. I printed out some pages from the web site and gave them to my neighbor who has a little girl. I thought it would be a great activity for their family.

I didn't know I would enjoy it all by myself. B)

When I saw a friend's GPSr last November, I coveted it. I used some Christmas money to get one of my own and the rest is history.

I'm absolutely addicted to Geocaching and have dreams about it almost every night. :ph34r:

I'm still trying to figure out "my style." So far it is characterized by not reading the description fully so I make a lot more work for myself as I did trying to find "Junior" in the dark.

If I ever go with someone else, I'll probably learn how to really do this activity. B)

I found out how to geocache from the Getting Started forum that was linked to me from a friend at another forum.

I took the basic concepts and went out and found caches on my own.

I'll have to say, I guess I am selfish, cuz I do what meets MY needs. I write what makes ME feel good. I find caches cuz it brings enjoyment to ME.

I have read lots of threads here, and some of the things posted DO have an effect.

Although I was introduced to geocaching by my brother-in-law Jim several years ago, it was also a new adventure for him. He had just bought a Vista and stumbled across geocaching on the internet and was gracious enough to include my family. We looked for 2 caches and didn't find either one. We even placed one at an island in the Chesapeake bay near my home. (It was trashed) Jim's interest waned quickly and I didn't have a GPS, so we stopped.

I never forgot those adventures and when I finally got my own GPS my family and some friends started caching immediately.

I really didn't have a mentor and consequently I have made a lot of mistakes. I browse the forums for viewpoints and guidance. They are very helpful.

I have seen it written many times that the forums don't accurately reflect the views of the GC community at large, but I disagree. Most issues are discussed from just about every angle if you read through an entire post.

So for now, I'll keep stumbling along, trying not to screw up too much!.

I have been hiking, mostly alone, for many years. I was new to the Long Island Pine Barrens region and kept getting lost among the many fire roads and unmarked trails. My wife got tired of getting the early evening phone calls...

"Now don't be alarmed, but I don't QUITE know where I am..." so she got me a gps so I would stop bothering her. Then as an afterthought she bought me a book, "Geocaching For Dummies" figuring I was already halfway there.

From my first cache my approach has been the same as when I'm exploring anything in the woods: Quiet and Slow. Leave no trace. Stop and look at small details. Add to this a general philosophy: Don't try to tell others the proper way to do something unless they ask. (Seems like a large percentage of forum posts are devoted to this :ph34r: )

A slight diversion..... i was in Boyscouts for about six months. My troop was all about marching in formation, keeping things spotlessly clean, and lining up the neckerchief stripes just right. I hated it. I know now that other troops did it differently and focused on fun. I think about that when I read the posts by some of the "my way is the right way" zealots and imagine the effect they might have on impressionable new players. Although I have gotten some ideas from these humorous rants. I am planning a trip soon to a particular neighborhood where I am going to plant a series of multis where the first couple of stages are micros on street signs leading to a parking lot lampost cache full of used golfballs...

My husband got me a GPS for my birthday last month. I have wanted one for a while b/c I am a biology student and thought it would be useful in the field. My husband and I discovered geocaching last week and we are already hooked. I am glad I have a daily use for my new toy.

I am planning a trip soon to a particular neighborhood where I am going to plant a series of multis where the first couple of stages are micros on street signs leading to a parking lot lampost cache full of used golfballs...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding! Have fun! That's really what it's all about!

I look at how Mopar and Briansnat go about geocaching and then I do the complete opposite ... <_< Seriously, I have no style of any kind whether its geocaching or otherwise so that would be difficult to influence. I do respect many cachers that I've met in the forums and a lot of local geocachers in the Kansas City area. So, geocachers that influence me are many ...

Edited by clearpath

I was an early adopter in my area. Most of my style consisted of "Hey wanna go caching?"

Other style things I've noticed. I don't use a compass, just the GPS. When caching in groups I tend to like the 3 musketeers method. (All for one and one for all, meaning if one person finds it, we all found it). When finding ground zero it's the hula dance.

That's all I can think of.

Once upon a time I was a GPS land surveyor, which in some ways is like a professional geocacher, in that I searched for property corners and government survey benchmarks as a major part of my job. SIDE NOTE: sub-centimeter GPS accuracy ROCKS! My $50,000 equipment would guide me onto a thumbtack in the ground, and that's where our handhelds will be soon.

I had read about and bookmarked geocaching.com, and even looked up and saved a few caches to find "one of these days." About ten months after my first knowledge of the sport I noticed a GPS in my friend's pocket and asked him, "Is that a GPS in your pocket, or..." (you know the rest) and what he used it for. He started into it, and I interrupted that I already knew enough about it, so show me the ropes already!

The rest is history, and I'm now the most prolific cacher in my town for boths hides and finds, with no end in sight!

So my influences at this point come from a few months of lurking and an equal amount of time in field work (surveyor talk for playing in the woods) in making notes of the best aspects of my favorite cache finds. I have learned a lot from the forums and consider them a great value to my personal fun and performance as a cache hider and seeker.

Edited by Pablo Mac

Yeah I my hubby heard about it on NPR a while ago and he decided he wanted a GPS. He got one for his birthday, and we went a few miles and found a cache. I saw where it was as we drove by. I guess that means I have the natural geo instincts. So yeah that was 2 yrs ago and the rest is history. I have found that what really gets me going is the joy of the hide. I really like reading other peoples trials and tribulations at places Ive known for years. so im shooting for my 100th hide by Champoeg, Champoegthen I will issue "The Odder Challenge". that will be to find 80 of my hundred+ caches. That amazing feat will be rewarded with an Odder orig. painting of their or a friends favorite pet. So stay tuned.... :laughing:

I ran across geocaching in an RV magazine. I already had a GPSr and gave it a try the next day. :rolleyes: After a few DNFs and a few finds, I started to think like a cacher. Unfortunately work & family keeps me busy :laughing: so I don't cache as much as I would like, but cache as cache can.

The only stlye that comes to mind is family fun. I am at every find and I always take at least one of my kids and/or my wife and friends. I have not had the chance to cache with another cacher, except those I bring along. I hope to do so some day. In the mean time, I "lurk" through the forums to pick up hints & tips. From the forums I've picked up paperless caching and links such as GPSSpinner and ExpertGPS.

My style will continue to evolve if I could just get out there more. Happy caching to all!!

I read an article in the National Geographic News on-line.

Went to Geocahing.com's web site, put in my zip-code, and was amazed how many caches there were close by.

Then I went to Best Buy and purchased a GPS to find them with.

It didn't take long to convince the wife to come along.

All in the same day.

I was lucky to do a Geo event, a few weeks after We had a few finds under our belts.

That's when I met lj&company (Lois) at the event who taught me the ropes about caching.

The forums were a very big help with the learning curve, even more for hiding caches.

I guess our style is a combination of good things.

1signature2zl.jpg

I was reading another forum dealing with timeshares and someone posted a thread asking if anyone geocached while on vacation. I went to the caching web site and liked what I read. A friend had given me an old GPS that locked on only three birds so my accuracy the first few caches were more luck than anything. What tuaght me the ropes and set my style were the cachers in Wenatchee WA whose caches I was TRYING to find. Cacher Ish-n-Isha taught me just how sneaky cachers could be and how sneaky cache containers could be hidden. Patudles taught me how sneaky micros could be. I have never cached with anyone but my family so I have not gleaned any "hunting" habits from others. But that is going to change today. Patudles is in town caching today so my wife and I are going to join her in about three hours...had to go to work first. I am looking forward to watching a "pro" in action.

Happy Caching

Red Bear in Spokane WA

"Seek and you shall find" :laughing:

Not sure if this is what the topic is about, but I can clearly state that the one thing that will influence my geocaching style is the price of gas getting ready to shoot through the stratosphere.

I can see most of my caching this spring, summer, etc. taking place by combining it with biking trips or if I plan on being in the area where there are caches I have not found. I don't see me jumping in the car and driving 50+ miles roundtrip to find a cache.

Some "experts" are predicting an average of $2.50/gallon this summer, ouch! I speak for me alone but I can't justify spending $50 for a tank of gas to go tupperware hunting. It will much more enjoyable for me to do it by bicycle. But that's just my opinion.

I give credit to the Cleveland Metroparks. I first heard of geocaching on the radio, maybe NPR, and didn't follow up on it. Then the CMP's hosted a geocaching introductory program a month or two later in early 2002. After attending the program I decided to give it a try.

All of the parks caches were long hikes to seldom visited parts of the park. I had a great time. So much so that I eventually became a volunteer for the geocaching program.

Now if my first dozen or so caches were lamp post micros or guardrail key cases, I probably would have given up before I really got started.

. . . Now if my first dozen or so caches were lamp post micros or guardrail key cases, I probably would have given up before I really got started.

Boy, ain't that the truth. Fortunately I live in a rural area so when I put in my zip code, all the caches that came up involved a long walk or a hike. The first caches I found were ammo cans hidden in "artificial piles of rocks."

That was satisfying on many levels and I was hooked!

If the first ones I looked for were deviously-hidden micros behind a shopping center I would have put my GPSr right back on eBay where I got it. :laughing:

My introduction came through Slashdot. A few months back Slashdot had something on Letterboxing. I was reading up on that when I saw someone mention Geocaching. Since I already had a GPS (why? Beats the hell outta me...I've got all sorts of things I don't need), and after searching in my zip code I found one 2 miles from my house, I tried it. Loved it. Can't stop now.

As for the style, that's still developing. I've learned to be stealthy (real quick like...cops just don't understand us :laughing: ), but I've grown to like traditional and micros. Virtuals just don't seem to do it for me.

Edit: Wow, for a teacher in training, I sure can't spell....

Edited by dumbdiety