North East Cito Events In April?

avroair

I have a proposal in with Kitattinny State Park (located in Andover, NJ) but have not heard back. I'll pop in and see what's up. I'm hoping a CITO might encourage the Park Super to allow a couple additional placements in this great park. I'll keep you posted.

[edit for location]

Edited by Team Rampant Lion
I have a proposal in with Kitattinny State Park (located in Andover, NJ) but have not heard back.  I'll pop in and see what's up.  I'm hoping a CITO might encourage the Park Super to allow a couple additional placements in this great park.  I'll keep you posted.

That would be Kittatinny Valley State Park. We try to hike part of the Sussex Branch Trail on our way to KVSP. It's easy for the kids.

I am working with my daughter's Girl Scout leader to have a geocaching outing with the troop. A CITO event would be a great experience for them in addition to the caching. We are very interested.

Edited by Team Perrito Blanco

Norvin Green is a good idea. The Lake Sonoma and Burnt Meadow sections can accumulate trash, but the state does clean Lake Sonoma from time to time. I can contact the supervisor for the area and see if there are any areas that can use attention.

Some other ideas:

Kakeout Reservoir in Kinnelon

Split Rock Reservoir (this really needs it. Would be a major endeavor)

Garret Mtn (probably a lost cause)

I can also contact one of the state rangers that I know and ask him for recommendations.

Norvin Green is a good idea. The Lake Sonoma and Burnt Meadow sections can accumulate trash, but the state does clean Lake Sonoma from time to time.  I can contact the supervisor for the area and see if there are any areas that can use attention.

Some other ideas:

Kakeout Reservoir in Kinnelon

Split Rock Reservoir (this really needs it. Would be a major endeavor)

Garret Mtn (probably a lost cause)

I can also contact one of the state rangers that I know and ask him for recommendations.

The national CITO day is April 16th, but that doesn't bar us from CITO events in more than one area on different dates. All the places you have stated Brian seem like good spots. Thanks for organizing. :laughing::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by avroair
The national CITO day is April 15th, but that doesn't bar us from CITO events in more than one area on different dates. All the places you have stated Brian seem like good spots. Thanks for organizing. :laughing::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, you're officially a day off, but it doesn't matter, really, since as you already pointed out:

Events on other days would be JUST FINE, too!

april162005.gif

The national CITO day is April 15th, but that doesn't bar us from CITO events in more than one area on different dates. All the places you have stated Brian seem like good spots. Thanks for organizing.  :laughing:  :rolleyes:  :)

Well, you're officially a day off, but it doesn't matter, really, since as you already pointed out:

Events on other days would be JUST FINE, too!

april162005.gif

Great way to forget about those taxes!!! The ANTI-TAX CITO Cleanup event!!! :rolleyes:

Because you asked last week, I sent an E Mail to Ringwood State Park, the manager of Norvin Green and asked if it would pose a problem. I of course did not receive a response. I also sent and E Mail to the NYNJTC inquiring if there was a trail that might benefit from this type of attention. For many years the High Mountain Area was just such and area, it no longer falls into the NYNJTC maint. area. I suggested Norvin Green because of the Burnt Meadow Road Area , it is easily accessable and seemingly attracts a fair number of roadway trash dumpers, there seems to be a fair amount of roadside trash that can be bagged and taken out. There are a couple of caches present in the area. Burnt Meadow Brook is a very pleasant walk and a nice hide. It was a happy moment for me when I found it, as it was kind of a validating point that I could actually find one of these things in the woods. On Sunday last past, I drove up to see about the conditions, I went into Burnt Meadow Road from the South end and there was a huge, I mean huge muddy lake in the middle of the road. I could not get past. But I do think that would be a good subject area, with perhaps a carry your own lunch hike up to the overlook of Lake Sonoma. But that is just me. I really don't think anyone would object to a group cleaning up along the road.

For many years the High Mountain Area was just such and area, it no longer falls into the NYNJTC maint. area.

It still is under the TC.

Burnt Meadow Rd needs attention, but there is a lot of big stuff there that may be beyond our capabilities. The area around Lake Somoma would be easier to handle.

I have not hiked much since I was a kid. Grew up near Watchung Mountains in Union County. I loved it, and would be very happy to attend any CITO event. Well, not in Lower North Podunk. But anywhere else. I am glad there are so many of you who know the area so well. I've been a "city" kid for way too long.

but there is a lot of big stuff there that may be beyond our

That was exactly why I thought it would be a good place, to call attention to the stuff that has to be left behind, and you are right, it is a big mess. It clearly is beyond the scope of a trash clean up day, but it might get someone to take another look at it. Also the road area is easily traversed by all ability levels. Just thinking out loud. I stand corrected on High Mountain, I thought the TC gave up mapping and trail maint on High Mtn.

Sigh. The major component of trail maintenance seems to be garbage pick up. I especially hate Corona beer bottles. Those things are heavy! And I haven't gotten around to removing the beer ball, yet. But that's 20' off the trail.

Hmmm.... Wonder if I could throw an event and get my trail cleaned up!!! ;) I sould ask Wawayanda State Park.

I ran this idea by the NYNJTC's North Jersey Trails Chair and he suggested Garrett Mountian. The yellow trail behind the museum in particular.

Can we set something up for Garret mountain. It needs it badly.

Edit: I am organizing one in Harriman and don't want to be seen as a CITO event hog (since I already own the title of Picnic Event hog! :) )

Edited by avroair

To encourage individuals to host and/or attend CITO events in New York, NYGO plans to have a raffle. Everyone that attends a CITO event in New York during the month of April will be entered into the draw. One name will be selected from the entries, and that person will be awarded a 2005 Empire Park Pass.

I will notify the event organizers to request a list of attendees.

- Junglehair

President, New York Geocaching Organization

I will look into something for Garrett Mtn. but I can fairly well assure that it would not be in April as the date does not allow me enough time. So if anyone else wants to jump in, fine. I know I can not get it together for mid April--Sorry.

They don't all have to be in April. We can spread them out and probably get better attendance that way because there won't be competing events.

Any thoughts re: A CITO listing for a little friendly competition that would be restricted to our North Jersey area which would involve the cacher identifying and going to and logging in at the oldest caches, rarely visited or actually finding an abandoned cache. Would involve scrutinizing the list, looking for old ones, ones you haven't visited or don't own. Winner of the competition would be the one who finds to oldest, or the one that was last visited 2 or 3 years back. The object being to kind of self police our hobby and sport. A well respected voice in the community suggested that I seek some feedback , but does not think it will fly as a CITO as it does not have a gathering. AT lunch I went to one that was last visited 4 months back, so as a threshold you would have to beat that. This springs out of the forum talks re; caches abandoned. Suggestions ? Point system ?

Edited by Packanack
Any thoughts re: A CITO listing for a little friendly competition that would be restricted to our North Jersey area which would involve the cacher identifying and going to and logging in at the oldest caches, rarely visited or actually finding an abandoned cache. Would involve scrutinizing the list, looking for old ones, ones you haven't visited or don't own. Winner of the competition would be the one who finds to oldest, or the one that was last visited 2 or 3 years back. The object being to kind of self police our hobby and sport. A well respected voice in the community suggested that I seek some feedback , but does not think it will fly as a CITO as it does not have a gathering. AT lunch I went to one that was last visited 4 months back, so as a threshold you would have to beat that. This springs out of the forum talks re; caches abandoned. Suggestions ? Point system ?

You could host it a breakfast event ... then have an optional group hike or teams go out to look for archived or abandoned caches after.

Cache In Trash Out doesn't just happen once a year. It can happen on every cache hunt! Just bring a trash bag along with you on your walks in the woods and pick up the occasional piece of trash you see on the trail.

I read the CITO again. It doesn't say that it has to be a place in time gathering. Maybe at the end of the line we could get to gether and offer the prize, which as it stands now is 1 Avroair Geo Coin.

Points awarded, 10 points for each month of age, so a 6 month cache gets you 60 points, a 12 month cache gets 120 points, am I going anywhere with this or just spinning.

Have a good weekend.

Edited by Packanack
Points awarded, 10 points for each month of age, so a 6 month cache gets you 60 points, a 12 month cache gets 120 points, am I going anywhere with this or just spinning.

This is an ongoing competetion in some areas. People are ranked, etc... A good way to drum up some interest in the tougher, rarely visited caches.

Cache In Trash Out doesn't just happen once a year. It can happen on every cache hunt! Just bring a trash bag along with you on your walks in the woods and pick up the occasional piece of trash you see on the trail.

I read the CITO again. It doesn't say that it has to be a place in time gathering. Maybe at the end of the line we could get to gether and offer the prize, which as it stands now is 1 Avroair Geo Coin.

Have a good weekend.

What if we already got one of those? :(

You coudl always buy me a beer and we'll call it even. :(

Ask people what they would like as a prize, many people like to do long neglected caches as a challenge... archived ones, that might still be there are a harder pull.

This is a great idea. I brought up something like this in the Geo-litter - Archived SBUX cachers thread.

Let's put our heads together and see if we can get this ball rolling and get our playground in order.

Any thoughts re: A CITO listing for a little friendly competition that would be restricted to our North Jersey area which would involve the cacher identifying and going to and logging in at the oldest caches, rarely visited or actually finding an abandoned cache. Would involve scrutinizing the list, looking for old ones, ones you haven't visited or don't own.  Winner of the competition would be the one who finds to oldest, or the one that was last visited 2 or 3 years back.  The object being to kind of self police our hobby and sport.  A well respected voice in the community suggested that I seek some feedback , but does not think it will fly as a CITO as it does not have a gathering.  AT lunch I went to one that was last visited 4 months back, so as a threshold you would have to beat that. This springs out of the forum talks re; caches abandoned.  Suggestions ?  Point system ?

This is a great idea. I brought up something like this in the Geo-litter - Archived SBUX cachers thread.

Let's put our heads together and see if we can get this ball rolling and get our playground in order.

As I mentioned this is a competetion in some areas. It could be fun. Maybe you can get 10 points for every month a cache has gone unfound, or something along those lines.

Northern New Jersey- Which is above the Raritan. Object trying to find the oldest, mangiest or abandoned caches. Purpose mitigation of Geolitter.

Forum readers know that there have been problems with a few abandoned caches. The object of this event (Competition) is to find the oldest cache or the one last visited in antiquity, go to it check it, log it and report its condition to the owner. If the cache needs to be archived, report it. If the cache is in need of replacement or removal report it. Log your results at the cache page and then report your totals and or results here. On July 1, 2005 , we announce the winner in our categories. Oldest Cache Visited. Longest time since Last Find. Finder of an actual abandoned cache. Inspiration comes being lead to a wonderful spot that was last cache logged in August 04, and the idea that pressure is building against public land being used for caching in any largely self regulating fashion. And it might just be fun. Rules--Gotta have em. Can't relog a cache,and can't be your own.10 points for each month since last find x's terrain difficulty gives you the cache score. Add 20 points for trash out. Add 20 points for picture of trash out. Add 20 points for picture of you in a hat other than a baseball cap. So if you have been there before, don't go back. This is listed as a CITO Event, so bring a plastic bag with you.

I had submitted the above for approval, but in checking our cache pages I wasn't convinced it was a go, so I disabled it, then archived it, it did not get approved, it was out there for awhile 4 or 5 days waiting approval, I called it Everything Old is new again.