South African Geocoin

geocacher_coza

Update 6-11-05

Still waiting to hear from or recieve funds from:

magellan315

TeamLandCruiser

Knightrider

I have sent numerous e-mails, even PM'd one while we were both on the forums. If I do not hear anything from them by the end of the week-end, I am going to assume the interest is no longer there.

anonymous'- what did your mom say? I will hold your coins til the end of the week-end as well, but no longer unless you tell me otherwise.

This represents 8 coins, so by Monday, I will contact the next few on the waiting list or post that they have been taken.

Dhobby1 - I still have 3 for you. I will know by Monday if 4 will be available.

I realize that this may not seem fair, but I am ready to be done with coins for a while, and it is not right to keep everyone in limbo. It has been a few weeks since everyone was notified the coins were in, and as my dad always says, "sometimes, if you snooze, you lose." :laughing:

Sissy

Sissy and all involved you have done a marvelous job of orchestrating the distribution of the coins. You should not in the least bit feel guilty for cutting your ties and shipping the rest to those who are waiting. People have had plenty of time to respond and make their intentions known

Damenace

Sissy and all involved you have done a marvelous job of orchestrating the distribution of the coins.

NOT many other involved!!! Only Sissy

Again I would like to thank Sissy for all her trouble and the distribution of the South African geocoin. I feel like a "dog" on this side of the ocean! I just ordered the coins, told everybody about it and then Sissy did all the work :)

Thanks again Sissy...... I owe you one!

I just hope all the people that bought the SA Geocoin also supported her other items in her shop!

I also would also like to take this opportunity to thank everybody that bought some of the coins. The 2006 geocoin is in the planning already!

Update 6-14

WooHoo! The tech guy at our house decided my old computer just wasn't keeping up well enough. So over the week-end, I got a new one! It's the cheapest one Best Buy had to offer, but still tons better than what I had. Unfortunately, I keep getting stuck when I try to re-install programs or transfer information, so I have to wait for him to come home and rescue me. Thus the slow-down in response.

Ready to mail: (will go out tomorrow)

Dhobby1 - 4

Team Shydog - 1

Coins on hold:

Anonymous' - 1

BillP3rd - 1

Fly46 - 2

Waiting to hear from:

epyx

Coins left:

As soon as I know how many epyx wants, I will send the link to the next one on the list:

UtahBill

Thank you guys very much for the sweet posts!

Sissy

Edited by Sissy-n-CR
new design if you are minting more, rare coins are fun

Then it will be better to stay with the amount that was done for 2005 and mint a new coin for 2006!

Any suggestions for a new design? I thought to have the same geocacher logo on the one side and then a famous South African landmarkof each of the South African provinces on the other side. Or the "Big Five" South African animals- one each for the next five years!

Edited by geocacher_coza

If there is any talk of minting more of this years coins or starting next year's design, I'll sure want in for some. I missed out on the current issue and haven't found anyone that will trade yet. I still have a couple Idaho, Utah and MIGO for trade. Will soon have Alaska, California and Colorado. My profile has a list of coins I currently have in my collection.

Update 6-21-05

I have 8 coins left. UtahBill is the next in line. If your name is before his and you haven't ordered yet, you have until midnight EDT to either order or let me know that your check has been mailed.

After midnight, if there are still some left, I will e-mail the ordering link to UtahBill and mtcd.

At the best of my abilities, I have narrowed down the messed up order to either:

NurseDave

Primofan or

TeamLegoes

The mess up was NOT in their favor, so I imagine I will hear from one of them eventually.

BillP3rd, your coin will go in tomorrow's mail. I filed a form 1510 (trace an item) with my post office, but I was told it could be months before I hear anything. If I do recover the first coin, I will ship it back to you.

Hmmm...2006 is 5 and a half months away. My vote would be to order another 300 of these first edition SA coins AND work on a new version for 2006. If y'all bombard Geocacher.cosa with e-mail requests, maybe he'll relent.

Sissy

This is the rest of the waiting list. Remember, there are only 8 coins left. The first three on the list are being moved to the bottom at midnight.

Fly46

KnightRider

Anonymous'

UtahBill

mctd

GoofyButterfly

LadyBear

Bob Rich

Donbadabon

sanruft

Orange Hippo

Blue iis

Smoky and the Teacher

Horsegeeks

Mountain wanderer

Bullitt

Tttedzeins

Hydnsek

ogeo

Geo zuk

cav scout

As you can see, there are more folks wanting coins than coins available. I am not able to order more, so anyone else wanting to be added to the list, please e-mail geocacher.cosa!

Sissy

Edited by Sissy-n-CR
This is the rest of the waiting list. Remember, there are only 8 coins left. The first three on the list are being moved to the bottom at midnight.

Fly46

KnightRider

Anonymous'

UtahBill

mctd

GoofyButterfly

LadyBear

Bob Rich

Donbadabon

sanruft

Orange Hippo

Blue iis

Smoky and the Teacher

Horsegeeks

Mountain wanderer

Bullitt

Tttedzeins

Hydnsek

ogeo

Geo zuk

cav scout

As you can see, there are more folks wanting coins than coins available. I am not able to order more, so anyone else wanting to be added to the list, please e-mail geocacher.cosa!

Sissy

Sent email to Sissy... :lol:

I've just started to collect coins, and I ordered a few extra SA coins with the intent of trading for coins that I'd previously missed out on.

I've tried to make trades with some of my extra Calgary coins, but everybody and their brother already as one. For purely selfish reasons, I don't want that to happen with the SA coins.

I vote for not minting more coins. At least not until I can make a trade for an Idaho coin.

Anyone interested?

I've just started to collect coins, and I ordered a few extra SA coins with the intent of trading for coins that I'd previously missed out on.

I've tried to make trades with some of my extra Calgary coins, but everybody and their brother already as one. For purely selfish reasons, I don't want that to happen with the SA coins.

I vote for not minting more coins. At least not until I can make a trade for an Idaho coin.

Anyone interested?

I am from Calgary and I totally agree!!

new design if you are minting more, rare coins are fun

Then it will be better to stay with the amount that was done for 2005 and mint a new coin for 2006!

Any suggestions for a new design? I thought to have the same geocacher logo on the one side and then a famous South African landmarkof each of the South African provinces on the other side. Or the "Big Five" South African animals- one each for the next five years!

You'll keep the excitement level around the 2005 coins high that way, and will actually enhance the excitement around the 2006 coins at the same time.

Update

I have updated the waiting list with some new names that was on the South African thread and with names of people that emailed me directly!

I have tried to put them in the date slots as I received them and as I could figure it out on the thread!

This waiting list will become the "official" supply list if we get more coins made. I think we need to apply the same rules as before. a MAX of 4 coins per person so that everybody gets a shot at some!

Fly46

KnightRider

Anonymous'

UtahBill

mctd

Redwing-dave

Tiki-4

nefresh

GoofyButterfly

LadyBear

Bob Rich

Donbadabon

sanruft

Orange Hippo

Blue iis

Smoky and the Teacher

Horsegeeks

Mountain wanderer

Bullitt

Tttedzeins

Jime71211

Hydnsek

ogeo

TKtrekker

Geo zuk

cav scout

Ladebear68

Simulatmore

GrandpaKim

The4Grays

Hopefully Sissy could update the list sometime today as well.

Considering I'm the person who has to watch Sissy do these fulfillments, I would like for all involved to consider a slightly different procedure.

Sissy likes doing this type of stuff--why, I don't know, but she does. She ships out all of the stuff from our shop, keeps records, analyzes trends, and more. She is very good at this.

What she isn't is patient. She will not let an order just sit if she can fill it.

This comes to where I see a part of this whole thing that I would like to change for her sake. That's the waiting for the folks to respond to the notice they can order or waiting for someone to order.

Once this batch is gone, and if there is a new batch, I'd like for there to not be a waiting list. There simply be an announcement of the coins available, a posting of the URL, and folks who want them, buy them. Once they are gone they are gone and we will close down the URL. We can work out other details, but, though she won't say it, the present scheme is wracking her nerves.

So, please, no more waiting lists. Watch this thread for further announcements on ordering the SA Geocoin once they become available.

Thank you for your patience and consideration to this issue. We appreciate your patronage.

Yours,

CR

Husband of the South African Geocoin US Distribution Unit.

Considering I'm the person who has to watch Sissy do these fulfillments, I would like for all involved to consider a slightly different procedure.

Sissy likes doing this type of stuff

A very good idea! People lets please respect the wishes of CR on this one.

Sissy is doing all of us (and mostly me!) a favour to distribute my coins. Lets make it as easy as possible for her! She is doing a great job and personaly I would not like to see that it becomes a problem for her.

Like CR said IF a new lot is minted it WILL be on first come firstserved basis at Sissy's shop. We will keep you informed.

AGAIN I would like to ask people to support Sissy's other great products as well!

Sissy likes doing this type of stuff

A very good idea! People lets please respect the wishes of CR on this one.

Sissy is doing all of us (and mostly me!) a favour to distribute my coins. Lets make it as easy as possible for her! She is doing a great job and personaly I would not like to see that it becomes a problem for her.

Like CR said IF a new lot is minted it WILL be on first come firstserved basis at Sissy's shop. We will keep you informed.

AGAIN I would like to ask people to support Sissy's other great products as well!

I know this is better for Sissy, but I like the waiting list. I do not have access to a computer until I get home from work, and sometimes that is very late. If the first come first served system were in place for the first order, they would all have been sold out before I even got a chance to order. Because I already got my order (thank you again Sissy!) this won't affect me, but I thought you might like to hear the other side.

I have a question as to how the "first come-first served" would work. Would that be the first to get money to you? We do not use paypal so we would be at a great disadvantage considering snail mail. Is it possible to pre-pay?

I do understand the concern though. Maybe there's someone else that would be willing to help with the distribution?

Extra personnel:

An extra person added to the mix would complicate things. It's not the number of people shipping things out. It's the waiting for people to respond.

Here is how it worked for the first bunch. Sissy had to interpret the user name, find the user name in the system, and then email the link. This was done on an individual basis. The first batch of emails was send out right away, so there was considerable work just to get the link out to people. It wasn't too bad except for the simple action of getting the URL out to the right people.

Each batch after that though. A descision had to be made as to who was on the list, in what order they were on the list, and how many would receive the link. Both Sissy and Quintus worked on this so I'm not saying it was all on Sissy.

As you can imagine, some of those folks would take a while to respond. It got to a point where on one person at a time was given the opportunity to order because the supply was so short.

As a consequence, the folks further down the list, who might be willing and able to purchase immediately, was left hanging because someone called "dibbs" before them. So, towards the end it became a waiting game. Couldn't move forward until a particular person responded.

So, it's not the number of people working on the on the project, that's covered. I think it would simply take a major tweaking to the procedure to streamline it.

Limited Computer Access:

I'm not sure how different a new scheme would be as "calling dibbs" and being put on a waiting list is little different than going ahead and placing your order.

I suggested announcing when the URL launch would take place so you can mark your calendar. I'm not the decision maker in this process, but this seems to me the best avenue as this lets folks know they need to be around a computer at the time if they want to be assured of a successful order. I'm thinking late Sunday evening might be a good time for launch.

Sissy vetoed any pre-ordering any significant time in advance because of not wanting to be left with holding a bunch of money just in case something happened and she couldn't do fulfillment. If there is any pre-ordering it will be much closer to the arrival date of the coins.

Don't have a PayPal account:

You don't need to have a PayPal account to use your credit card. PayPal serves as my merchant account.

If you would rather pay by personal check and snail mail, then I'm sure an acceptable way to do so is alert us that you have sent the check and we'll set your order aside and remove those coins from the count. We wouldn't set aside the coins on "I'm gonna send a check"--only on "sent." If the remaining stock is low, we hold the coins for a week or two (to be determined later) and if the check still doesn't show, we put the coins back in stock. If that happens, when we get the mail with the check, we can mark it RTS. The point being we aren't left in limbo waiting for something that might not come.

Conclusion:

Again, I'm not the decision maker, just making suggestions. If this goes well, this will be the same scheme we launch the SC Geocoin with, but with a twist. The coins will be serialized and we'll be issuing the coins in the order in which PayPal says you placed the order. Again, you don't have to be a PayPal member to pay with a credit card or debit card affiliated with a major credit card network. I've not been able to figure out how to include snail mail payments, so that might be out as it relates to order of coins issued.

I'm thinking this will go smoother for us.