South African Travelbug Graveyard

warthog

I checked caches and see that we do not have our own South African Travelbug Graveyard. Would the rest of the "team" be happy if I go ahead and set up such a cache, seeing that I have a travelbug that I would like to place in a graveyard? :ph34r: I was thinking of using co-ords S 35 E 20, which is in the sea directly south of Cape Agulhas, our most southern point.

Any comments would be welcomed.

How about a more central piont?

Maybe near the "Helde Akker" in Bloemfontein! Something like that!

or--near this hole! A grave already dug for the bugs and pretty central!

"A man-made diamond hole at Jagersfontein of 760m beats the better known Big Hole of Kimberley for size"
Edited by vandermerwe-family

I also thought about such a point, but then thought a point on land may jeopardise the placement of a cache in future near such a point. Most other "graveyard" points are off-shore as well (USA, UK, etc.), but I am open to any suggestions, as long as someone can supply me with a fairly acurate co-or for the suggestion.

If it is somewhere in the sea, you can do a proper "burial at sea" :ph34r:

I like the first idea. Burial at sea appeals to me!

Maybe a more "scenic" spot then. Most Southern point is cool but not much to see etc etc. How about somewhere along Chapman’s Peak Drive. Good views and some nice cliffs directly into the sea!

Do not see a cache at Cape Point yet.

Only an Idea and more suggestions! The more suggestions the better cache at the end!B):ph34r:B)

See that the biggest concentration of caches are in the Western Cape somewhere there will be the more "logical" place

Edited by vandermerwe-family
Maybe a more "scenic" spot then. Most Southern point is cool but not much to see etc etc. How about somewhere along Chapman’s Peak Drive. Good views and some nice cliffs directly into the sea!

I may be wrong, but from the above I understand that you would like to actually visit the "graveyard", however the TB graveyard cache is only a virtual cache (see Travel Bug Graveyardand therefore not an actual place to be physically visited, that is the reason why the original co-ord suggested is also way out in the sea, we can also use a point just off Cape Point?

Edited by warthog
I just send off my first travel bug to enter the TB race, and then I read this post. Now I'm getting worried!

Remember - more TB's disappear than actually reach their intended destination!

A TB should be initiated with the realisation that the chances are excellent that you will never see it again!

It's a risk you take, but one that I am willing to take just for the fun of seeing it travel to places that I could never get to.

One of mine is already in New Zealand. It got there remarkably quickly, but has now 'stalled'. It'll be interesting to see if it begins to move again.

Don't worry about it.

I appreciate that TB's are expensive here, but imho the expense is worth it.

I appreciate that TB's are expensive here, but imho the expense is worth it.

Azaruk

I will soon have travelbugs available! It should not be much more expensive than a direct exchange from $ to R! I'm trying to get them handcarried so I can save on all the add on's! (transport an import duty)

Let you know as soon as I have them.

Good on the Graveyard. Now we have somewhere we can pay our respects :laughing:

Did you ask them why not? It is bull*%^t that other countries have graveyards and we do not. Sound like a bit of discrimination to me!

Warthog, maybe you must just stash a cache near where you stay and call it: SA Travelbug Graveyard. And fill it with "R.I.P" notes of all the "dead or MIA" travelbugs! "There are many ways to kill a cat!!"

If someone have a TB that need "disposed" off we can send you an email and log it in the cache. If I remember correctly you are in Alberton. SO if it is close it can be maintained with the RIP notes by you or me!

Just a thought or an idea how to get another type of cache for our dead TB

Did you ask them why not? It is bull*%^t that other countries have graveyards and we do not. Sound like a bit of discrimination to me!

I did not decline the virt. in question, but likely would have if I'd seen it first in the approval queue.

Yes, it is discrimination, but discrimination based solely on changes in the guidelines and changes to the site since the earlier "graveyard" caches were approved.

Once upon a time there was no way to deal with missing TBs. They'd be perpetually listed on the last cache page they were logged onto. TB Graveyards became a logical workaround for the problem.

Remember though, that was a time when anything could be posted as a virtual cache. The current guidelines preclude posting something that doesn't exist.

Jeremy has also made it possible to temporarily take TBs out of circulation when they turn up missing, and then log them back into the fray if they reappear. That update to the TB listings made TB graveyards redundant.

The existing ones were "grandfathered" and still remain (one holds five of my bugs), but no new ones have been approved for quite a while.

Regretfully,

erik - geocaching.com adminion

It's a risk you take, but one that I am willing to take just for the fun of seeing it travel to places that I could never get to.

I like the fact that you can send your bug off to complete some insane mission, and if it fails, oh well. If you "bury" your TB, does it get removed from your record? I like constantly adding to my record of finds and owned!