Rock Graffiti

MT Fellwalker

I came across a recent log that read in part -

I didn't have my bag of goodies so I just left my name in the log and on the rock.

I e-mailed and asked 'what rock?', and the response was that the 'cache had a little rock to sign to sign your name on, it was placed by the owner'.

But then there was this from a later log on the same cache -

(Name withheld) autographed on of the rocks with his heiroglyphics tool and then walked right up to the cache.

and this one from the same day on another cache -

(Name withheld) autgraphed the rock wall and then walked right up to the cache.

Now I might be confused, but these certainly don't sound like small rocks placed inside containers for folks to sign. ..

I guess I didn't really expect the individuals involved to own up to their actions and apologize or anything, but I did sort of think that someone would have an opinion about geocachers carving their names into rock walls and such.

Just so we're clear on the concept, not only is it against the law in Idaho to deface scenic objects, but doing so does nothing but hurt the image of geocachers. We already face an uphill battle with many land managers who don't understand or appreciate our desire to use public lands in a new and different way. The last thing we need to do is give them more reasons to consider banning the sport.

So next time you think it'll be fun to plaster a little graffiti around, don't. Future geocachers will thank you...

I think it's a good time to post this one again:

July 27, 2003 by Criminal (215 found)

We found this one after some pretty heavy duty bushwhacking. To make it easier for the next finder, we chopped out all vegetation 30 feet around the cache. We felled two large trees that might be a nuisance as well. We then triple wrapped it in a shopping bag, a kitchen garbage bag, and a brown hefty sack. After that, we tied a trail of ribbons, not more than three feet apart, leading from the road to the cache. I wasn’t sure if all that would be sufficient, so I ran to the hardware store for some day-glow orange paint and repainted the can. With the little paint that remained, I sprayed a large arrow on the barren ground pointing to the cache. Took a $20 gold coin (1887) and left a range golf ball that should be good for at least five more hits.

Thanks Travis for a fun hunt.

I think it's a good time to post this one again:

July 27, 2003 by Criminal (215 found)

We found this one after some pretty heavy duty bushwhacking. To make it easier for the next finder, we chopped out all vegetation 30 feet around the cache. We felled two large trees that might be a nuisance as well. We then triple wrapped it in a shopping bag, a kitchen garbage bag, and a brown hefty sack. After that, we tied a trail of ribbons, not more than three feet apart, leading from the road to the cache. I wasn’t sure if all that would be sufficient, so I ran to the hardware store for some day-glow orange paint and repainted the can. With the little paint that remained, I sprayed a large arrow on the barren ground pointing to the cache. Took a $20 gold coin (1887) and left a range golf ball that should be good for at least five more hits.

Thanks Travis for a fun hunt.

I only wish I had thought of that one first.

It was a pice of chalk on a little rock and when it rains it will wash away, why don't we blow this out of proportion and the cacher that left the log of carving is the local CM full of trickery.

None of the logs I quoted are from anyone I suspect of being the local problem child. Perhaps there are additional ones I did not happen to come across in my superficial search.

Then there was also the cache submission in the same general area in which the owner invited finders to leave graffiti on the local rock faces. That one I declined to list until the suggestion was removed, but it now appears that this activity is more widespread than I suspected at the time. That's very unfortunate.