Geocaching And Video Games?

Ok I'll be honest im a nintendo geek, :lol: but I also love the outdoors :lol: . So I was woundering how many of you would go out for a cache that is just about video games. The cache would contain game controllers video games memory cards or whatever else you might use for gaming and you could sign the log book with cheat codes or tips for the game you placed in there. Is this stupid? Am I the only one out there that loves both the gaming world and the great outdoors? :huh:

I've spent my fair share of time playing XBOX and PC games, so I'd certainly rush out for a video game theme cache if one popped up in my neck of the woods.

Theme caches are always a bit more interesting to me anyway, no matter what the subject. I've seen NASCAR, money, snowglobes, kitchen gadgets, and many others. I say go for it!

Seems to me that you could start with good intentions and people would trade down. Your Game Cube memory cards and PS2 controllers would quickly be traded with Qbert for SNES and Donkey Kong for Intellivision. Any new games or equipment are just too expensive to stick in a Tupperware container to get soaked.

Seems to me that you could start with good intentions and people would trade down. Your      Cube memory cards and PS2 controllers would quickly be traded with Qbert for SNES and Donkey Kong for Intellivision. Any new      or equipment are just too expensive to stick in a Tupperware container to get soaked.

maybe your right :blink: . do you think the same thing would happen if i made it a members only cache?

You could do that, but I think things generally sort themselves out. You may have an occasional person who "raids" the cache, dumping junk for the good stuff, but in the long run, I think it would even out. Most people in the game are considerate and honest. You have to remember, every time you drop a cache, you run the risk of the whole thing disappearing or getting ransacked. I have faith that it will work out. Personally, I think it sounds awesome.

I really only play Jedi Academy (Siege), though I play it a lot. I typically find a game and lay only it for a couple of years. The chronology follows: Gauntlet (Arcade), Super Mario Brothers(Nin), Final Fantasy (Nin), Street Fighter 2 (Arcade), Civiliation2 (PC), Rainbow Six (PC), Baldur's Gate(PC), Jedi Knight2/Academy (PC). I started the above to explain that I wasn't a gamer, but after reading it I suppose I am aren't I. ;)

Including CD/DVD style games would be great. Cartridges... I think the weather would be rather rough on them. Also what about copied cd/dvd's :mad: . You might want to include a disclaimer (or encourge them depending on your point of view) or risk the wrath of the RIAA trying to shut down geocaching ;)

I'd open it up to all the game related merchandise that is available now. Check out Hot Topics (clothing chain) they have a lot of Nintendo stuff like patches. A personal favorite is "Know Your Shrooms" and shows all the Mario Bros. mushrooms. Keychains and other knick knacks also abound.

Somebody mentioned looting of caches with cool things in them. This would be a big danger. There is one in my area (NW Ohio) that was dedicated to magic cards & roleplaying. They switched it to a virtual for this very reason.

I do think your concerns about gamers being uniterested in the outdoors is entirely unfounded though. I ski, run and hike and know plenty of others that do the same. All in all a good idea for a cache. Anything to get rid of the McToys is worth a shot in my book.

I am a little warry of fragile electronics in caches due to the outside nature of the game :lol:. Even though relying on the good nature of cachers I can see someones eyes being too big and plundering. A good way to protect yourself from this is to make the cache so flippin difficult to find it weeds out the less serious cachers. You can do this either by puzzle or difficulty of the actual hunt. The Contact Cache is a GREAT example of this. The puzzle is amazing and even once you figure it ouf if you can ever figure it out you have to drive in the middle of nowhere to retreive it. There have always been some awesome stuff in this cache and people tend to trade up instead of down for the pleasure of finding it (it is on Moun10Bike's top 1%).

I have some Original Nintendo, some Super Nintendo games, and some Gameboy stuff I would be willing to trade in a cache like this (Double bagged in a waterproof container of course).

It would probably be impossible to really do but passing around a memory card with a started game on it so people could continue the game and then drop it off might be novel.

*raises hand* I'm a gamer! Sounds like a cool cache, but I'd also have to agree with tls11823... it would be very expensive to create and you might not really get any "return" on your investment. Of course, that's not what caching is about, but if you're going to stuff a cache full of expensive gaming peripherals and such, you'd want to get something back. Plus, there's always the possibility of water damage.

If you really want to do this, I'd do it with older games or gaming paraphernalia instead...

I thought fable was really cool. I love 's. Yes I killed Whisper :anibad:

I think I'm going to take your all's advice and just make it for older . like or NES. I might put one container inside another container and double bag the contents to ensure thier safety. I also think I might make it a mystery cache to weed out the less serious cachers like richandsteph said.

About that bug I think I'm going to find a really long like fable or something. It has to be really really long. ill tell the finders you can only play it a certain amount of time.

does anyone have any ideas about the ?

Hey I have an idea how about I only let one type of thing in it like n64 games only that way it would be impossible to trade down.

Yeah, but then I'd have to find it and leave an xbox game just outta spite :anibad:

Of course, I don't wanna get rid of any of my Xbox games, but I do have some duplicate NES games.

Thats another problem with theme caches. Some people just don't listen. I think it would be a great idea for a cache, but don't be surprised when you see in the logs "Took Zelda; Minish Cap, left an empty Tic Tac container, Thanks!"

So, if you do this, are you going to make the container look like a nintendo? Maybe you could find an old busted NES and gut it, and somehow fit a waterproof container in it. Of course, you'd have to find a great hiding spot, as that isn't exactly camo.

"Took Zelda; Minish Cap, left an empty Tic Tac container, Thanks!"

That was a GREAT . I mean it, it was awesome. I never did get all the figurines though B) oh well.

I like your idea about making it look like a cache. that sounds really cool. Hope that by making it a really hard mystery cache it will keep the less serious cacher out. I hope that will be enough to keep the trade up.

about the mystery cache. I'm new to the whole mystery cache concept. I haven't even found one yet :ph34r: . the nearest mystery cache from my house is like a two hour drive <_< . I was thinking maybe making the puzzle be like questions about old . Like: Q:what does pac man eat A:ghost's (just an example).

Any other ideas for some trivia questions?

By the way scince you obviously own an xbox I recommend getting fable. its a great .

Edited by Stony2008

I've been lurking on the forums for a while and finally found something worth throwing my ideas into.

I like the idea of a video game cache. I'd definately hunt it if it was anywhere nearby. I also like the idea of a memory card travel bug. But here's my idea:

What if you put a video game and a memory card in the cache. Tell people to take it for, say, a week. They play the game, get as far as they can, then return it to the cache. Then the next person can come along, pick up the game, play it for a week, and return it. Then everyone can help beat the game, and you get it back when it's all done. You can set rules, like no cheat codes or something like that.

Another interesting option would be to put in a game like The Sims. Have the cachers take the game home and create themselves as a character. Have a central Geocacher house where they can move in and virtually interact with each other.

I don't know how feasable the above would be, but it would be pretty cool if you could make it work.

Andy

Most      these days can be completed in less than a week 

unless you put it on a really hard setting if it has one.

It also really all depends on how much you play it though. For example I beat Halo in a day on normal setting difficulty but I played it all day.

I think he has a good idea by keeping the bug in the cache but I don't have a clue how thats possible unless they do bring it back every week :( .

I'd like to make a cache that is somehow electronically locked, and the only way to open it is by performing the following on a keypad:

up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-B-A-select-start

I'm sure some others of you have this combo burned into their brains as well.

--RuffRidr

I would hunt a Videogame related cache. I've got a bunch of PS2 and XBOX games that don't really have any trade in value anymore, but would be fun for someone who hasn't played them yet.

A Caching and Gaming related side note.

I just picked up a Sony PSP the other day, and have already found a geocaching use for it. It will display JPG images that you can upload to it's memory card, as many or as large as you want depending on the size of memory card you buy. I'm thinking that instead of printing out the cache pages and maps, I'll just print screen them and dump them on the PSP. (you can zoom and pan so the small screen won't be an issue.)

If you do put out a gaming cache, make sure it's in the shade year round, and instruct people to put the CD's and Cartridges in ziplocs just in case of leakage.

Ohgr