Using a Compass

timecline

I'm really interested in trying Geocahing!! The one problem is I'm poor. Oh all right, I'm more tight than poor but I don't want to shell out the money to buy a GPS. Is it possible to do Geocaching with a compass. I took orienteering in college and was a boyscout.

Thanks,

Tim

Depends upon how the cache is set up, and how good the map is.

There are a few without GPSrs that find caches.

But, you cannot place a cache without one.

On the otherhand, geocaching is for people with GPS receivers. You may not get a lot of sympathy for your cause.

You wouldn't try horse racing without a horse, would you?

icon_wink.gif

DustyJacket

Not all those that wander are lost. But in my case... icon_biggrin.gif

Though some caches are nealry impossible to find in reasonable time without GPS...(because the instructions with them are made for GSP users, mostly)...

...there are plenty of geocachers who manage well without GPS...but the equilavent "treasure finding" activity that is designed to work without GPS is Letterboxing, which I think, preceded both GPS and Geocaching.

______________________________________________ Kanto

A compass? Not really.

With a map and a good sence of direction? You bet. A lot of use have found caches without the GPS and some make a point of it.

Lostoudoorscom has arial photo's that you can put coordinates in. I figured on one cache (the only one I tried it with) it got me to within 20' of the coordinates. That's close enough to find the cache.

Once you start to know what to look for it gets easier.

There are two geocachers I know of who have hundreds of finds each, without a GPS. It can be done using the Topozone maps, aerial photos and clues. I've found two, sans GPS. One on purpose and the other because I left the unit home.

Also consider Letterboxing. It's similar to geocaching, except that printed clues are given instead of coordinates. It's just as much fun. The only drawback is that it isn't nearly as popular, so there aren't a lot of Letterboxes available in many areas.

"Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day" - Dave Barry

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on July 29, 2003 at 02:52 PM.]

Go ahead..splurge..get that GPSr. (it's more fun than drugs!) icon_rolleyes.gif

By the way, I see you're from Indianapolis, I live in Plainfield. Email me and maybe we can cache together. (I have a GPSr, but no car) I'm an Eagle scout.

==============="If it feels good...do it"================

**(the other 9 out of 10 voices in my head say: "Don't do it.")**

I would have to agree with all of the previous post there are places you can turn to to find a good/descent used GPS. But if you are serious about getting started you would find away to break down and spend $100.00. This would get you a simple Garmin Etrex. I currently cache with Roadstr and he uses the Garmin Etrex. I have to confess that I am really impressed with what you get for the price you pay. I use a Meridian Platinum and I have to tell you that there are many times that Roadstr locks on to the caches before I do. You are talking a differance of $250.00 dollars between the two GPS's and there are features on the Garmin I wish I had on my Meridian and many features on my Meridian I'm glad I have. Good luck in your decision you won't be disapointed once you start caching.

Damenace

Tim,

I did a poor job of finding caches until I started using maps and a compass as part of my tool kit.

I get the waypoint from the cache site.

I get a street map to get me into the "neighborhood."

I get an arial shot from lostinthewoods and

place the target waypoint as well as at least another waypoint from a physical location that I am sure I CAN find.

I might get a topo as well.

I use a compass on the map and obtain a bearing from the known point to the target point.

I go to the waypoint that I can identify and then use the compass to obtain a bearing and start walking.

I use the gps to get distance from target and stop at 0.

If I don't use the gps then you need two known waypoints and then triangulate.

The gps is nice when you have to get off "the line"

But I beleive I can get to within 50 foot of any target using the above technique and at the end of the day, you have to put the gps away and use common sense and the hints to find the cache anyway.

Try this plan before buying that gps and see how you do. Restrict your searches to caches that don't have multiple part as you want be able to handle the 2nd waypoint without a gps.

You Bet!!! Before I had a GPS I found caches. Just go to the topo zone on the bottom of the cache page, and you can get a printout of a topo map of the cache area. Look for clues on the map,(if there is a stream nearby, etc.) and use this at the location to help get as close with physical clues as possible. I used the steepnes of the terrian, streams, whatever and was very successful. I still like to use the topozone and get a good idea of location. When I get out of my officially self-designated GEO vehicle, I already have a pretty good idea of what I'll be seeing. Actually I guess I challenge myself with that scenerio. Yep, go to it. I'm not predjudice, this is how I got started and I figure if it helps someone else get hooked more power to us!! Happy hunting! p.s. if you need more help with this concept don't hesitate to e-mail me, and I'll try to answer your questions. I'll try to help anyone out.

You should be able to get a GPS like I have (Garmin GPS38 or similar) for under $50 on eBay, I would expect.

Here's a search I did for my GPS on eBay.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?MfcISAPICommand=GetResult&SortProperty=MetaEndSort&ht=1&query=garmin+gps38

Others here may know of some reliable older models that are now "out of style" to look for on eBay.

Is there a classifieds section on this website anywhere? (maybe someone has an old one after upgrading?).

Hukt un fonix werkt fer mee

timecline:

My first few finds were accomplished without a GPS, but I admit that they were much harder that way.

It's even possible to do offset caches without a GPS, but the calculations, if done manually, can really be a pain. As others noted, I used maps/topos to get me in the right area, then just began looking.

I've gotta admit, though, that since I've had my Magellan in hand I have always been placed right on top of the targets. Not sure how much longer that'll last. I must have been getting some really good satellite fixes. (Side note: A friend's Garmin reads about 3' off from mine at a given waypoint. Not much, but just an interesting fact)

If you want to save a lot of legwork but still save some money, I would suggest doing what I did. Get a low-cost GPS and some good maps of your area. You can plot your points with enough accuracy to get you near the cache. The rest is just legwork in the end.

If you need mapping capability later , you can always get a cheap laptop which can be linked to the GPS for course plotting. My neighbor does this for "war driving" in order to find wi-fi hotspots around the area he works.

Just my .02

S-4-C

They are out of the SporRrak PRO ($129), but have the SporTrak MAP ($99):

http://www.flyingjestore.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=ShowItem&item_number=4&product_code=EL259&sku=100

Here are three more links which allow you to

compare the SporTrak GPS, GPS Map & GPS Pro models.

http://www.gpslocators.com/maspgpshare.html

http://www.gpslocators.com/maspmaphagps.html

http://www.gpslocators.com/maspprogpsre.html

I had trouble with the link (in msg above) to their homepage, so I'll post it again (editted):

http://www.flyingjestore.com/

[This message was edited by Mark 42 on August 01, 2003 at 11:13 AM.]

Yes it is possible and easy with a map and hints. With a little math skill and/or templates its not difficult to determine your location. Admittedly finding Orienteering flags is easier than a hidden cache and if there aren't easily seen distinct reference points you may be very near without seeing them.

But I have a Handspring PDA and purchased a GPS Companion that plugs into it fo under $50 at Staples, (Less than I paid for my compass, ouch.)

EMike

quote:
Originally posted by timecline:

I'm really interested in trying Geocahing!! The one problem is I'm poor. Oh all right, I'm more tight than poor but I don't want to shell out the money to buy a GPS. Is it possible to do Geocaching with a compass. I took orienteering in college and was a boyscout.

Thanks,

Tim

EMike

"It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts."

Re: The above posts about the Magellan SporTrak Map & Pro for $99 & $129...

IF THE GPS SALE SHOWS "sold out"... Try it again after a

little while. I checked on the $129 one this morning,

and it was sold out... then I tried it again a few minutes

ago, and it was back in stock (So I ordered one before

they showed up as gone again).

This was the second time I saw it change to Sold Out

and then back to available.

I'm not sure if it's factory reconditioned or new...

The website title says "Factory reconditioned items",

but that may ba a universal title for all of their

items. When I looked at the item details page, it

doesn't have the factory reconditioned icon like

some of their other items do, so it may be new.

It's guaranteed, either way.

I also found an online rebate coupon...

https://www.magellangps.com/en/store/promotions/30_50_75.asp

Hukt un fonix werkt fur mee