What do you take with you?

buckshotbob

Ok, I'm a noob to Geocaching but it seems like a great way to spend time outdoors and get some exercise and fresh air.

My question is what do you take with you when your searching fora cache?

I'm pretty that I will be taking my GPS, extra batteries, water bottle, and such but what else do you make sure to take on a regular basis?

Thanks

That depends alot on when and where you cache.

If you are hunting an Urban cache then what you have already mentioned, along with some booty nuggets, is fine.

Some cachers like the added thrill of caching at night. So a flashlight is required. If you are going for a harder hunt that is further out in a wilderness area I'd suggest the standard fare for a hiking trip, two way radio, first aid kit, emergency blanket, etc.

And always remember to take your common sense with you. If you have that you should be fine. icon_smile.gif

smile02.gif Why be normal!!!!

That depends alot on when and where you cache.

If you are hunting an Urban cache then what you have already mentioned, along with some booty nuggets, is fine.

Some cachers like the added thrill of caching at night. So a flashlight is required. If you are going for a harder hunt that is further out in a wilderness area I'd suggest the standard fare for a hiking trip, two way radio, first aid kit, emergency blanket, etc.

And always remember to take your common sense with you. If you have that you should be fine. icon_smile.gif

smile02.gif Why be normal!!!!

I suggest bug repelent here in south Louisiana the bugs will make an all you can eat buffet out of you if you stop moving for more than 10 seconds.

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal: a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you - daft as a brush, but very very ravenous

I usally go to the more remote caches, even tough

I'm new to this I prefer the ones that are out more than 1/2 mile walk. I have a small pack that includes; AA batteries, cel phone, compass & map, water bottles which I sometimes leave a new one behind, bug/sun lotion, small first aid kit, trashbags, extra note pad & pencils, small roll of duct tape, disposable camera, paper towels, small binoculars, (my EDC is always on me),plus the trades you'll need to use. Most of this stuff I already had, the only thing I bought was the GPS.. Good luck ... icon_biggrin.gif

I usally go to the more remote caches, even tough

I'm new to this I prefer the ones that are out more than 1/2 mile walk. I have a small pack that includes; AA batteries, cel phone, compass & map, water bottles which I sometimes leave a new one behind, bug/sun lotion, small first aid kit, trashbags, extra note pad & pencils, small roll of duct tape, disposable camera, paper towels, small binoculars, (my EDC is always on me),plus the trades you'll need to use. Most of this stuff I already had, the only thing I bought was the GPS.. Good luck ... icon_biggrin.gif

Hiking sticks are very handy, no matter what kind of hike. They are useful when crossing streams or slopes, and wonderful for poking under brush and stuff like that. It is nicer poking your hiking stick somewhere you can't see, rather than putting your arm in it. Also, in the spring, they are great for knocking down the webworms dangling from the trees! icon_wink.gif

Hiking sticks are very handy, no matter what kind of hike. They are useful when crossing streams or slopes, and wonderful for poking under brush and stuff like that. It is nicer poking your hiking stick somewhere you can't see, rather than putting your arm in it. Also, in the spring, they are great for knocking down the webworms dangling from the trees! icon_wink.gif

gps, batteries, binoculars, cell phone, water, snacks, knife, compass, reading material in case i want to sit under a tree, sunscreen, camera, motrin, eye drops, sunglasses, bee sting kit as im allergic to bees. i got a real cool camel back hawg. all the stuff fits in it including the water. have fun

jonser

I bring almost everthing listed above plus an extra GPSr if I am going solo (just in case). Also, I always bring my walking stick. It helps when I hike in rough terrain and it is great for knocking ticks off branches. I sprayed about a 1 foot section of it with bright orange paint so I can find it easier when I place it down in the woods. My cell phone is a must and I also bring some granola bars and a mylar blanket.

[This message was edited by Ranger Rick on May 11, 2002 at 05:06 AM.]

[This message was edited by Ranger Rick on May 11, 2002 at 05:08 AM.]

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

Just remember common sense aint all that common.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

quote:
Originally posted by Wander Lost:

Just remember common sense aint all that common.

Lost? I'm not lost. At least I don't think I'm lost, well............OK, maybe just a little.

I have a Camelbak M.U.L.E., inside I keep my "puts" a wide assortment usually. I also have a compass on it, my digital camera, a few extra bags for trash I may find, my Sony CLie' which has cache' descriptions and hints as well as maps loaded into it, and my Garmin Legend. I also take a flashlight if I'm going far off the beaten path, my cell phone, and FRS radio's. I also take my collapsable walking staff which has a built in camera mount under the handle.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

Day Hike Supplies and Equipment

Water (usually two liters per person)

Water purification tables or a water filter

Map and Compass - GPS optional

Food - (Sandwich & Energy Bars)

Sweat Pants and Sweat Shirt (for emergency clothes)

Long underwear (top and bottom, wool or polyproplylene or duofold)

Extra Underwear

Extra Pants (Light synthetics, not jeans)

Wool Pants (If early or late in season)

Long-sleeve shirt

Light wool sweater or fleece jacket with hood

Rain Gear (Goretex, with hood) (Rain Pants)

Wool Stocking Cap

Wide Brim Hat with UV protection

Bandana

First Aid Kit Whistle & Signal Mirror

Lip Balm Flashlight & Candle

Insect repellent

Pocket Knife - Sierra Saw

Sunscreen

Gaiters

Sunglasses (with 98% UV filtering)

Toilet Paper & Trowel & Sanitizer

Zip-lock bag to carry out Toilet Paper

Notebook & Pencil

Watch

Lighter and Matches

Bivy Shelter 2 days food

Light weight rope Camp Stove

Shotgun and Ammo Coffee & Pot & Cup

The "Bushwhacker"

needs_a_shave.gif

Exitus acta probat

>>--->

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rick:

.... I sprayed about a 1 foot section of irt with a bright orange paint so I can find it easier when I place it down in the woods. .....

DO WHAT icon_confused.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Rick:

.... I sprayed about a 1 foot section of irt with a bright orange paint so I can find it easier when I place it down in the woods. .....

DO WHAT icon_confused.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Hey! Bright orange spray is for? I do have a bright orange jacket I wear in the fall. We've cached during target practice and all the while prayed we weren't the target!

I also bring in with me a paper print out of the cache....more than once we have entered the wrong coordinates or forgotten the details.

BUG SPRAY deticking is no fun...

DxChallenged

"Have you no news on your travels?" the Book of fairy & folk tales of Ireland (1888)

I posted this back last summer - July to be precise - in this ancient thread. There's some really good suggestions back there.

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

Essentials on EVERY cache hunt

• GPS

• Extra set of fresh batteries

• Printout of the caches web page.

• Compass

• Water

• Cell phone

• Trade trinkets

• Camera

• Sunscreen usually applied right before bug spray

• Bug Spray

• A pen or pencil

• Note book

• Flashlight

• Ziploc freezer quart size baggies

• Hat

• trash bags (Cache In - Trash Out)

For those level 3+ caches or extenuating circumstances

• Rain poncho

• Pocket knife

• Snacks (breakfast bars)

• Walking Stick

• Old CD/signal mirror

• Whistle

• First aid kit

• Work gloves

Markwell

My Geocaching Page

For drive-by caches (don't really do 'em anymore) I just throw some tradeables in a sack and grab my gps/compass and go. For the ones worth finding (in the wilderness) equipment is as follows:

CORE EQUIPMENT

REI Scree15 hydration daypack

PUR Hiker water filter

Red Ledge pack jacket

Silva Trekker compass

Garmin E-Trex

Mini-Maglite

Gerber LST folding saw

Waterproof map case

Simmons 8x21 monocular

Cache trinkets in waterproof sack

Survival/Emergency Kit of my own design

Misc. items of inconsequential nature (pens etc.)

Canon Sure Shot A1 waterproof camera

1-liter Platypus water bottle (empty and rolled up for emergencies)(yes, I even had to use it once)

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

FRS radios

Ruger SP101 .357 magnum

food

extra clothing

hiking staff

That's all I can think of right now...whew! icon_biggrin.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

For drive-by caches (don't really do 'em anymore) I just throw some tradeables in a sack and grab my gps/compass and go. For the ones worth finding (in the wilderness) equipment is as follows:

CORE EQUIPMENT

REI Scree15 hydration daypack

PUR Hiker water filter

Red Ledge pack jacket

Silva Trekker compass

Garmin E-Trex

Mini-Maglite

Gerber LST folding saw

Waterproof map case

Simmons 8x21 monocular

Cache trinkets in waterproof sack

Survival/Emergency Kit of my own design

Misc. items of inconsequential nature (pens etc.)

Canon Sure Shot A1 waterproof camera

1-liter Platypus water bottle (empty and rolled up for emergencies)(yes, I even had to use it once)

OPTIONAL EQUIPMENT

FRS radios

Ruger SP101 .357 magnum

food

extra clothing

hiking staff

That's all I can think of right now...whew! icon_biggrin.gif

"There's no need to be afraid of strange noises in the night. Anything that intends you harm will stalk you silently."

I like Markwell's list.

I would add a couple if things, however.

Spare set of keys (I sometimes do stupid things)

Calculator

Good map of the area

When I can, I like to bring my dog, Darby. On these trips, I leave the walking stick behind and add:

Dog treats

Extra water

Travel water bowl

Spare lead

I saved this list from another thread.

I carry a large Marmot Walkabout Lumbar Pack with smaller plastic bags inside. It holds about 625 cu. in. Without the water and with the basic supplies listed below it weighs about 3 pounds. The stuff I carry for first aid Cost about $20. Since I bought it all separately I have re-fills for everything. If I use something (and I have) I try and replace it that night. I keep a gallon of drinking water in my van. After reading this you'll know for sure I'm paranoid. I hate to be caught without something I need.

In Lumbar Pack

Cell phone

Area topo maps

Small digital camera

2 quarts water

4 backup AA batteries for GPSr or camera

Pad

Pen

Pencil

Small Carabiner

Bandana

Cheap Sunglasses (in case mine break or someone forgets theirs)

Multitool on pack belt

Large empty ziplock bag for trash

Print outs for various area caches

Depending on the day. Sandwiches, fruit and crackers.

Small ziplock bag

6 various Gauze pads

4 Alcohol preps

4 Band aids

4 Antiseptic wipes

2 Anti-Itch patches

2 Mole skin pads

Toilet paper

Small ziplock bag

1 Itch eraser

1 Medical tape

1 Neosporin

6 Aspirin

4 Midol

2 Antihistamine

2 very strong pain killers

2 caffeine pills

Needle point tweezers with magnifier built in (for tick removal)

2 rubber gloves

small lighter

Small ziplock bag

2 Clif Bars

2 Gu packets

2 Glucerna bars (the wife has diabetes)

Large ziplock bag

Pencils

NY state quarters

Small trade items (stuff that I see while I'm on my way out the door)

4 AA batteries for trade

====================================

As always, the above statements are just MHO.

====================================

It seems that some people are packing for a long move. Like western soldiers, always burdened by all the paraphernalia considered necessary to conduct warfare.

I usually bring:

GPS (for obvious reasons)

Batteries (if I know that the GPS is low on fuel)

Pen (since it often doesn't work, if there is one)

Trade item (if I have any)

Phone (to tell my wife that yes, I'll come home... sometime... when she calls)

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

It seems that some people are packing for a long move. Like western soldiers, always burdened by all the paraphernalia considered necessary to conduct warfare.

I usually bring:

Anders

But Anders, we don't all have wonder suits! Some of us need to carry water instead of being re-hydrated by our processed sweat!

Likewise, no clothing I have can elliminate my need to haul a little toilet paper in a baggie. Something about hiking uphill on a rough trail really loosens things up - and none of my pants have, errr, processing facilities!

And, of course, if I had X-ray vision like you super hero types, I could leave my LED headlamp at home as well... icon_smile.gif

-jjf

quote:

I usually bring:

Anders

But Anders, we don't all have wonder suits! Some of us need to carry water instead of being re-hydrated by our processed sweat!

Likewise, no clothing I have can elliminate my need to haul a little toilet paper in a baggie. Something about hiking uphill on a rough trail really loosens things up - and none of my pants have, errr, processing facilities!

And, of course, if I had X-ray vision like you super hero types, I could leave my LED headlamp at home as well... icon_smile.gif

-jjf

quote:

I usually bring:

Anders

All that is fine if you're going to the park but if your headed for the woods, where you have no cell phone reception and you may end up stuck for a lot longer then you expected I'd hate to be there saying... "I wish I had my....".

george

Depending on the cache location & distance to it, all of some of the following:

• GPS (every time)

4 AA Batteries (every time)

Calling Sign Paper Punch (every time)

Topo Map

Compass

Spare Compass (I've lost mine on a hike twice - soon as you buy a replacement the original turns up)

Trekking Pole

Cache Swaps

Water

Chocolate bars (handy if you need a quick dose of sugar)

Baseball Cap (if it's sunny - thin on top)

----8<--------8<---CUT-HERE---8<--------8<----

Stuff I try to carry, but it really depends on the cache.

Flashlight (sometimes directed light can help look in bushes)

Binoculars (some places have great views, and you want a better look)

Toothpicks (To get some of dirt out from underneath fingernails if you had to climb on all 4s)

Tweezers (These were really handy on my last cache)

Extra Socks (those pricklie weeds are annoying as hell)

Chapstick

Backpackers first aid kit

Sunglasses

Lg. Swiss Army Knife

Leatherman multi-tool

Sunscreen

Water

Extra Batteries

FRS radio

Cell Phone

Pen

Piolet

ID

Compass

Thermometer

Water

Voice recorder (I always carry it around since it's convienent and I don't have to stop to write anything)

GPS Unit