Black Plastic Bags

I felt like starting a new topic, so here we go....

Black plastic bags! When I set my first cache or two I put the tupperware inside a black plastic bag. Why? I suppose it is because I was copying what I had seen elsewhere. I gather that these are now frowned upon. I set a cache which mentioned that it was in a black bag and the moderator requested that I remove it. I was glad to do this. The reason given were that bits of ripped up BPB have a way of getting away from the cache and into the environment. Plastic bags are also potentially harmful to wildlife.

I have found bone dry caches wthout plastic bags and have also found sopping wet ones with them. There is also nothing I hate more than sticking my hand into a stinky mouldy bag full of snails and centipedes. I found a new cache lately which had only had a few finds before I got there. The plastic bag was already pretty tatty. The cache was adequately concealed using natural materials piled on top of it anyway, so I don't think it was actually serving any useful purpose. I have been known to CITO BPBs on caches I have found, which were nothing more than stinky shreds. Ew!!

My latest tactic is to paint my caches black and do without a plastic bag. Moisture sensitive items are bagged inside the cache. None of mine have been out for a very long time yet, but all appear nice and dry. I have found long standing bagless caches which have been nice and dry though, so I am hopeful.

I couldn't agree more. BPBs are generally pointless. They just get ripped to shreds as the cache goes in and out of the hole, lots of centipedes and worms like to live in them, they collect stinky stagnant water in them, and let's face it, what's more durable - a tupperware box or a plastic bag?

I have removed one where it was getting really manky.

:grin: mmmmm i have noticed that.....i am going to remove all bags on my caches.The caches are water tight anyway so cant see the need for them(only did it because everyone else did).....if you really wanted to hide something good..paint the box to match surroundings.it beats a black bin liner! :rolleyes:

Spray painted mine green and that worked a treat.

There are others that have made drawstring bags from camo material, makes them really hard to find. Doesn't make them any more waterproof (wasn't intended to - made of cloth) but also don't deteriorate or harm the environment.

I hear that some are even more sophisticated than drawstring bag, made to the exact size and shape of the box, with velcro. I've not found one of those, so perhaps it was the beer talking (or the beer filtered listening at my end!).

if you really wanted to hide something good..paint the box to match surroundings.it beats a black bin liner! :rolleyes:

I haven't found any of Alibags' caches since she started painting them black, although I wasn't sure I was looking in the right place on the 2 I've tried (didn't take the cache sheet with me - doh!)

Talking of painting them to match, the other week, I found a micro which was beautifully painted a mixture of black and khaki, a true camoflage work of art. I found the micro OK, but still haven't managed to find the final cache after 2 trips (although one was when there was a light covering of snow)

I tried painting tupperware black but found it didn't last very long. When you attach of remove the lid it flexes and that causes the paint to flake off.

I've had success wrapping the boxes in black insulting tape, but now I use cammo bags.

I prefer to use ammo boxes whenever possible i.e. whenever there's room for something that large.

:rolleyes: Black Plastic Bags are of no use for caching they fall to bits and stink!

I hate to get stroppy about this but they really are horrible.

The cammo bags are much better but in most cases neither are required.

Although ammo boxes seem to be great for keeping things dry and last much better long term. For those with hands that do not work too well they can be very difficult to open. If you are going to use them, a little request from me would be to make sure they open easily.

Cheers

Tony

:grin:

I tried painting tupperware black but found it didn't last very long. When you attach of remove the lid it flexes and that causes the paint to flake off.

I've had success wrapping the boxes in black insulting tape, but now I use cammo bags.

I prefer to use ammo boxes whenever possible i.e. whenever there's room for something that large.

Sand the box first to key the surface and remove the release agent.

then use a flexible vinyl based car bumper or vinyl hood paint

I repainted the hood of my old kit car with this stuff and it never flaked off.

I tried all that and it still flaked off when flexed.

I did some of your Kennett and Avon canal series the other day and really liked the caches, they were very well preserved - clean and dry - inside the camo bags.

I've since been down to army surplus to get some and they didn't have any - where did you get them from?

Adrian

Black plaggy bags are also a great problem for me when I am reviewing :rolleyes: .

I can not refuse to let a cache fly free if it is in a black plaggy bag as there is nothing in the guidelines to prevent that.

However, as often as I am able, (and I will freely admit that there have been times when there has been so much in the queue to deal with I have not acted,) I mail the cache setter and ask them, as a favour, to remove the bag. I tend to cite the gagb/Hants guidelines, again emphasising that they are not mandatory, quoting the environmental concern shared by many landowners, and also cite the problems of cache hygeine mentioned above. The bag is fine until water becomes trapped inside and can't evaporate away when the air gets warmer, then, as we all know the result is a dank,slimey cache.

I would also add that everyone I have mailed in this way has responded positively, reinforcin g my belief that UK cachers a great bunch of people :grin:

Cheers and Cache Well,

Eckythump

I did some of your Kennett and Avon canal series the other day and really liked the caches, they were very well preserved - clean and dry - inside the camo bags.

I've since been down to army surplus to get some and they didn't have any - where did you get them from?

Adrian

I bought the material here and got my wife and daughter to sew them into bags.

I have heard that priming them with diluted PVA helps.

I use 'upmarket' tupperware. There are tabs that click over the four sides and lock. Made by Addis I think. They are not so reliant on the flexing of the lid so the paint stays on better. Yes the paint has flaked off the the moving parts, but this is only a bit of extra camoflauge, not a work of art.

As far as I know people got hold of some of the material but had to make the bags themselves (or got their mum's to do it :rolleyes: )

Not sure where they got the material from, but they certainly didn't try and buy a completed bag.

The Americans seem to like Krylon Fusion paint for plastic boxes but it doesn't seem to be sold in this country. :rolleyes:

MarkGPX

PVA does not stick to tupperware, waterered down or neat. I use a product called ESP (Easy Surface Prep) which I got when painting my fridge and kitchen cupboards. It works quite well and helps the paint to stick. The black paint will flake and chip off, but not in huge great lumps, so I think it is acceptable so as not to have it too bright and shiny and obvious. I have hidden some caches unpainted, depending upon where I am putting them too. these don't seem to suffer for lack of BPB.

:( Are we in all agreement then.....when finding caches take away placky bag?...unless wierd cache where bag maybe needed....cant think of any :grin:...i did not know......`beg forgiveness`.... so will go and remove 7 bags! :(

I guess if you were going to hide a cache on a rubbish tip then a black placky bag might be acceptable. :rolleyes:

My local surplus store has a supply of waterproof, draw-string bags in various sizes. They're not DPM but they are a dark olive green which is almost as good. They're waterproof liners for the side pockets of bergens and come in a few sizes from 'quite small' to 'quite big'... certainly big enough for a 2litre tupperware box or a small ammo can. They were about a fiver each, if I remember correctly and as I said, they are waterproof.

My local surplus store has a supply of waterproof, draw-string bags in various sizes. They're not DPM but they are a dark olive green which is almost as good. They're waterproof liners for the side pockets of bergens and come in a few sizes from 'quite small' to 'quite big'... certainly big enough for a 2litre tupperware box or a small ammo can. They were about a fiver each, if I remember correctly and as I said, they are waterproof.

With respect, unless they are a dry-bag type configuration - ie multiple fold down top with pressure clip - I would be extemely surprised if a draw string bag would be waterPROOF. The best bet seems to be to have a good waterproof container - the clip ones are so much better than pressure fit tupperware - and forget about bags entirely.

:( Are we in all agreement then.....when finding caches take away placky bag?...unless wierd cache where bag maybe needed....cant think of any :rolleyes:...i did not know......`beg forgiveness`.... so will go and remove 7 bags! :grin:

I've been removing black bags for some time wherever the cache is still well hidden without. Personally I hate black bags and almost all of my new caches go in Camo bags. I've had various suppliers for these but I currently use this supplier.

We usually use ammo boxes or similar but have also put out lock n lock style boxes in camo bags. I would never use a plastic bag, and have noticed that these are more likely to be found in some areas of the country than others. i guess people just copy what they see.

Regarding the painting of tupperware, this doesn't last long. Does anyone remember the coloured tupperware that you used to get in the 70s an 80s? It was really solid and lasted for years. I've just got these in green and these in brown.

T

Edited by Pengy&Tigger

I confess, I have used bags in the past. Usually for extra camo rather than being waterproof, but try not to these days. Certainly I remove BBB's ("Heavy duty Black Bin Bags, no matter what your gender..." Ah, Phoenix Nights!) when I do maintenance as a snug bag with drain holes makes a lot more sense than a big flappy water-gathering BBB.

SP

With respect, unless they are a dry-bag type configuration - ie multiple fold down top with pressure clip - I would be extemely surprised if a draw string bag would be waterPROOF. The best bet seems to be to have a good waterproof container - the clip ones are so much better than pressure fit tupperware - and forget about bags entirely.

Yeah... Ok B)

What I should have said was that they are made from a waterproof material. I wasn't really suggesting that you could hide a cache underwater in them. I've used them a couple of times, as SP says, more as a camoflage than anything else but if they're done up properly and hidden sensibly, they will keep out most of the rain and 'rising damp'. They're surely a better bet than a tatty black bin liner :ph34r:

gekocacher wrote:

Even find a good enough hiding spot, so you don't need to camo the cache ???

Well, yes indeed, but unfortunately caches walk. A cache may start its life in a good hiding spot but there's no guarantee that it'll remain there. One of mine, which is meant to be in a good hiding place, has twice been out in the open when I've gone along on maintenance visits. If it wasn't camouflaged I doubt if it'd still be around.

<rant>

BBB. Hate them, every single cache I've found in a BBB has been damp smelly and generally disgusting. They are either full of rotting vegetation, water, snails, slugs, mud and usually all five at the same time. Very off putting. Even slightly more annoying is when you see logs along the lines of "please could the next visitor take along a new bin bag as the current one has fallen to bits" or "replaced disgusting rotten bin bag with a new bin bag" which will go just as disgusting and rotten in a few weeks time.

The problem with BBBs seem to be the folds which form when the caches are wrapped in them. These seem to trap water and dirt and offer great damp hiding places for all things slimy.

</rant>

Camo bags, now they seem to very good, like them. Have got one to try on one of my caches one day.

Pretty new to all this (only 5 found) but of those the ammo boxes have been the dryest. The tupperware box we found was actually broken and although the log was dry in one bag the Mcd's toys were wet. I spose thats what you get for hiding a tupperware box under a huge rock ;)

Not come across a BBB yet.

Definately when ( of if...nah when) I place my own an ammo box seems favourite.

Nick

Edited by nickthechippy

I found an ammo box inside a bin liner the other day. All the disadvantages of the bag and it will eventually rust the ammo box quicker too.

Camouflage duct tape is a good way to disguise tupperware, because it actually sticks (very little else sticks to polythene long-term, including paint). It costs about £5 for 20 feet on the net, or if you find that a bit pathetic, they have 180 feet (!!) for $10 or so at www.colemans.com (some people might want to step carefully past some of the pro-handgun stuff on that site, though).

Nick

Ammo boxes are the best - but it's not always possible to hide them well enough as they're a bit large! I've recently painted my plastic boxes with black vinyl bumper paint, which doesn't seem to have flaked off - yet! I'll never hide one inside a bag - even camo bags are a little soggy and unpleasant to open. MarcB's flare containers (Alchemy Quest) have worked surprisingly well: although small, they hide well due to their shape, and seem to repel moisture effectively.

HH.

I hear that some are even more sophisticated than drawstring bag, made to the exact size and shape of the box, with velcro. I've not found one of those, so perhaps it was the beer talking (or the beer filtered listening at my end!).

:D That could have been one of ours! We got my mum to custom make a cammo cover with velcro for an ammo box of ours-not sure it is still on the box or not though as people usually comment about it on their log and no-one has said anything for a while. If it is still there and you want to see it go find Ladybird's third spot-house beautiful (GCHJDQ) :D

I hear that some are even more sophisticated than drawstring bag, made to the exact size and shape of the box, with velcro.  I've not found one of those, so perhaps it was the beer talking (or the beer filtered listening at my end!).

:D That could have been one of ours! We got my mum to custom make a cammo cover with velcro for an ammo box of ours-not sure it is still on the box or not though as people usually comment about it on their log and no-one has said anything for a while. If it is still there and you want to see it go find Ladybird's third spot-house beautiful (GCHJDQ) :D

Yep. It was yours I was referring to. You told me about it at the London get together, but I didn't know if you were winding me out about the velcro, or some else was, to be honest I couldn't quite remember who had said which bit. (I wasn't driving for the first time in years. :D )

Hate bags with a passion on the outside. It's easy enough to put everything inside in plastic bags.

A waterproofed log book is also easily achieveable by taking an ordinary notepad and a treating it with Nikwax Map Proof (http://www.nikwax.co.uk/uk/mapproof.asp). I know because I tried it at work only yesterday and am probably going to give it a go myself. Should be £4 a bottle and will probably proof loads of books.