The offer is good for:

GPSMAP® 60C

GPSMAP 76C

eTrex® Legend C

GPSMAP 60CS

GPSMAP 76CS

eTrex Vista C

and is good from 3/1/05 - 7/5/05.

There do not seem to be any vendor restrictions, but it does say that it's not applicable to on-line auctions.

So, as near as I can tell, the GSMAP 60CS can be had for $332 + Shipping (getagps.com).

This is definately making me rethink my Explorist 600 pre-order.

Of course nobody told me a week and a half ago that the new unit I was buying would be discounted ina few days.

I'm a bit peeved and let Garmin and my vendor know about it. :rolleyes:

This happened before when I bought a 176C but then I was withing guidelines

for the dates but it was a new unit bought at auction. So this time I go with an authorized vendor and still get reamed.

I ordered mine a week too early too, but I just checked the Amazon.com site. I ordered the Garmin 60c on February 22, 2005 and paid $336.70. Today, they have it listed for $379.99 less the $50 rebate, so $329.99. Some deal! I would have saved a whopping $7 if I'd waited a week.

Edit: Awesome unit though - I love it!

Edited by junglehair
can't print rebate from Adobe. cut and paste and still no print. is it blocked? where do I get rebate. we are thinking of buying Garmin Legend C today and want to send rebate. Or does it come from Company when you buy it?

Hmm, I also can't print it. :rolleyes:

Of course nobody told me a week and a half ago that the new unit I was buying would be discounted ina few days.

I'm a bit peeved and let Garmin and my vendor know about it. :rolleyes:

This happened before when I bought a 176C but then I was withing guidelines

for the dates but it was a new unit bought at auction. So this time I go with an authorized vendor and still get reamed.

Having been a Garmin vendor in the past, My guess is that your vendor did not know about the rebate offer. In all the years I was a Garmin and a Magellan Vendor we were never given advanced notice of any rebates. We would just get a mailer with all the rebate info. most times we got these mailers a week or two after the rebate started.

What we would do if a customer came is is re-ring the sale so that the customer would have a receipt with the proper date. Ask the dealer you bought your GPS from it they can do that for you, ask for a store manager

can't print rebate from Adobe. cut and paste and still no print. is it blocked? where do I get rebate. we are thinking of buying Garmin Legend C today and want to send rebate. Or does it come from Company when you buy it?

Hmm, I also can't print it. :rolleyes:

I sent an e-mail to Garmin regarding printing the rebate. I'll post any information that I get back.

Amazon.Com immediately raised their price on the Garmin 60 CS  the instant Garmin's rebate was offered.

Sounds like the same thing that car dealers try to do when manufacturers offer rebates. Unfortunately retailers take the rebate as an opportunity to make an easy $50.

The printing issue seems to be related to Acrobat 6.0. I was able to print from Acrobat 7.0 without a problem.

Thanks for the printing info. I was running Adobe reader v6.0 and had the same problem. After reading your post I installed v 7.0 and was able to print the Garmin rebate form. Back to the reseach for a 60CS best price. :rolleyes:

Tiger GPS prices today

60C  $315.00

60CS$418.00

Tigergps shows me a price of $352.00 on the 60c

It seems these vendors are all going to raise their prices due to Garmin offering a $50.00 rebate. They aren't going to allow the customer to get a deal without cashing in on the action as well. They get their 50 bucks up front and we mail in the coupon and wait for a rebate that may or may not ever show up. It's happened to me twice before.

gpsexplorer.com is offering the 60CS for 435.95 but they are offering a double rebate. Net cost 335.95 including shipping.

I was curious as to how they came up with a $100.00 rebate because their page indicates the rebate forms are on the order page. Sure enough, there are (2) .pdf forms Each for a $50.00 rebate. One form gets mailed to N.Y. - the other to AZ.

The rebate form to N.Y requires the original UPC bar code from the package as well as original receipt.. The rebate form to AZ. allows for a clear photocopy of the package UPC bar code and an order confirmation e-mail as proof of purchase. I couldn't pass up this deal. Final cost is infact $335.95

I was looking at 60C prices and spotted the rebate - only available to USA/Cadanian customers, not to units purchased from USA/Canadian Retailers. See the problem - especially for International customers? Doubly so if the price is hiked as the rebate is offered B)

And while I should support local retailers, it's hard when the retail is currently approx $US760 ($NZ$1088) for a Garmin 60C (and that's with a good exchange rate at the moment!)

You can see why $US360 + shipping is VERY tempting! :ph34r:

The price gouging ticked me off, so I sent the following letter to Amazon.com's customer service. We'll see if I get any sort of response from them.

Dear Sirs,

I was very disappointed in a recent discovery I made on the Amazon.com site.

On February 22, 2005 I ordered a Garmin GPSMap 60C through your site for $336.70. Yesterday, I discovered that Garmin was offering a $50 rebate for the 60C. I thought to myself "I should have waited a week".

Then when I checked back on your site, I see that you had raised the price of the 60C to $379.99, thereby charging your customers $43.29 more and having them wait 6 weeks to get their $50 rebate check back from Garmin.

I have been a steady customer of Amazon.com for several years and have highly recommended it to others on many occasions. I have always trusted this site and was shocked to see that you would conduct business in such a way.

One indicator that Garmin raised the prices would be if all the retailers increased their prices at the same time. The chance that all the retailers got to idea to increase their prices at the same time that a rebate is offered is not very likely.

people always want to blame vendors when prices go up, when in fact most vendors try to keep there priced as low as they can keep.

I looks like Garmins old marketing I remember from when I was a Garmin Vendor

They would start a rebate in March and run it untill July, then around 6 weeks later they would start it again untill Jan 1st, then in March they would start it again utill July, then start it again 6 weeks later. They did that for years.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I received the following email back from Amazon:

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com.

The discounts we offer for items on our web site do vary from time to

time. I've checked your order (#103-9882164-3028605), and found that

we offered a greater discount on " Garmin GPSMap 60C 56 MB GPS with

256-Color TFT Display" at the time you placed your order.

Since this item was shipped so recently, I have requested a refund of

$43.29 to your credit card. This amount reflects the difference

between the price you were charged and the discounted price. The

refund should be processed in the next few days and will appear as a

credit on your next billing statement.

You may view returns and refunds by clicking the "Your Account" link

at the top of our web site, then clicking "Go!" next to "open and

recently shipped orders." Completed refunds will appear at the

bottom of an individual order's summary page.

I hope this solution is satisfactory and we're real people who care

about your experience and we're happy to help you in any way we can.

Well, I did indeed rethink my Explorist 600 pre-order and canceled it. Got the 60CS for $382 - $50 rebate from getagps.com. The main contributing factors were:

1. Standard Batteries

2. 2.6 diag screen (60cs) vs. 2.3 (Explorist)

3. People seem pretty happy with the Garmin overall

4. Turn by turn directions (with the right software)

5. I want it NOW! :mad:

I should have it Wednesday...now if only this dang snow would melt. ;)

I received the following email back from Amazon:

Thank you for writing to Amazon.com.

The discounts we offer for items on our web site do vary from time to

time. I've checked your order (#103-9882164-3028605), and found that

we offered a greater discount on " Garmin GPSMap 60C 56 MB GPS with

256-Color TFT Display" at the time you placed your order.

Since this item was shipped so recently, I have requested a refund of

$43.29 to your credit card. This amount reflects the difference

between the price you were charged and the discounted price. The

refund should be processed in the next few days and will appear as a

credit on your next billing statement.

You may view returns and refunds by clicking the "Your Account" link

at the top of our web site, then clicking "Go!" next to "open and

recently shipped orders." Completed refunds will appear at the

bottom of an individual order's summary page.

I hope this solution is satisfactory and we're real people who care

about your experience and we're happy to help you in any way we can.

I'm happy to hear that Amazon.Com is going to refund you $43.29. It pays to speak up. I'll bet that made your day. :D

My 60CS was sent FedEx on March 3rd and due here on the 9th. I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas morning.

Well, I did indeed rethink my Explorist 600 pre-order and canceled it. Got the 60CS for $382 - $50 rebate from getagps.com. The main contributing factors were:

1. Standard Batteries

2. 2.6 diag screen (60cs) vs. 2.3 (Explorist)

3. People seem pretty happy with the Garmin overall

4. Turn by turn directions (with the right software)

5. I want it NOW!

1. Lithium Ion Batteries, big plus for me

2. 2.6 Diag screen Vs 2.3 not a concern

3. People seem pretty happy with magellan overall

4. The Explorist 400, 500 and 600 also offer automatic turn by turn navigation, with the correct software Map Send Direct Route

5. SD Memory card, unlimited map and way point storage

6. Magellan Triaxial compass (You do not have to hold the GPS level for the compass to work)

7. I can waite, I have two other GPSr now, three if I find the one I lost.

Explorist 600 $347.00

Exlporist 500 $319.00

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I'm sure you'll be happy with the Explorist when they become available. I really wasn't trying to turn this into another one of those "Garmin vs. Magellan" pi$$ing contests. I was really on the fence. If they were both available at the time I made my decission I would have bought the 600 since I already have Mapsend Topo. The SD card and the 3-axis compas are things I'm definately going to miss. But the combination of the rebate, and a few other factors was enough to get me to change my mind.

The one thing I think we all can agree on is that each unit has pluses and minuses over the other (even though they may be different on an individual basis) and that hopefully we'll all be happy with whichever choice we made.

I hope for everyone that is waiting for the Explorist's that the production schedules are on time and that we're not having this conversation in June.

:P Happy Geocaching! :)

Greg

I am sure your Garmin will work out fine, as you I have a large investment in Magellan software. It's is to bad Garmin does not use a triaxial compass or an SD card, not so much for maps but for waypoint managment. It will be interesting to see what the magellan geocaching feature will be like. It would also be a good thing if Magellan would allow some one to load a map onto a sport track mapping GPS without deleting and map that already loaded to that you could have a topo map and a street map on the same GPS. An having to use a card reader to load more than one map for a Meridian is dumb.

I think the problem is with the bean counters complaining about the cost of producing a GPS with even more features that we really do not need, but we think are a must have. :P

To further complicate the issue if I had waited for the Magellan, I would have had enough time to convince the better 1/2 why we need a second GPS. :P

and probably have taken much less grief over it. Should be interesting to see what a 60cs bruise on my upper leg looks like. :)

You see, it was her idea to actually start Geocaching...If I told her that I'd gone out on a cache without her I'd catch more %#^$ for that then I did for buying the GPS. Go and figure...now to top it off, she'll have the SportTrack Map and I'll be sporting the 60cs...the gift that keeps on giving.

Might have to consider upgrading her to the 500 or 600 when available and give the SportTrack to my daughter.

Who says this isn't an expensive sport? :rolleyes:

Edited by AllYouNeedIsCache

I purchased my GPSmap 60Cs February 22. I contacted Garmin through their questions about rebate email address and asked if I could still get the rebate. They replied last night with a separate address to mail the rebate info and said that since it was so close to the March 1 date they would still give me the rebate. :rolleyes:

Don't know if it will work for anyone else but it doesn't cost you anything to send an email and ask.

Orpheus

OK so junglehair just got another $43 off GPS (good for you junglehair) Did I get that right? Now the rest of us will pay $379 - $50 rebate and amazon just gave junglehair $339-$43 ? Let me know if I got the math right. Those wanting to buy should all request this price!!! :rolleyes:

You got that right - they applied the $43 rebate to my credit card the next day. That means I got a brand new Garmin 60c for just under $300! You better believe that made my day!

You see, it was her idea to actually start Geocaching...If I told her that I'd gone out on a cache without her I'd catch more %#^$ for that then I did for buying the GPS. Go and figure...now to top it off, she'll have the SportTrack Map and I'll be sporting the 60cs...the gift that keeps on giving.

Might have to consider upgrading her to the 500 or 600 when available and give the SportTrack to my daughter.

Who says this isn't an expensive sport? :rolleyes:

Compared to Scuba Diving, Skiing, Motorsross, flying, Hot Rod building and Travel. It pretty cheap. :lol: