Newbie with No GPS - Advice Needed

jeffkahn

I have been reading the forum and website for a few days and it looks like this activity is alot of fun. However, I do not have a GPS unit yet. I know there are alot of posts about which units are the best, etc...but I can't spend alot of money. Can you still do it without a cheaper model (for example, Amazone is selling the Garmin eTrex GPS for 100). What is the major advantages of spending more for the upgrade models?

Thanks....

Jeff Kahn

I am a Garmin cacher..had an Aviation 90..worked good but didn't hold signal as it only looked for 5 satellites and also ate batteries icon_rolleyes.gif..so I got a Legend icon_biggrin.gif..love it, the maps, the signal, battery usage, display but the little toggle on top started acting up icon_frown.gif so it's in for warranty repair..no cost though icon_wink.gif..so bought a $99 Yellow icon_smile.gif..worked great, no maps but great for caching til I accidentally smashed it climbing a mountain icon_mad.gif..ruined the display..that's not covered by warranty but they'll fix it for less than $60..bought another Yellow icon_smile.gif since we were on a geo-vacation when the other broke ($125 this time)..so when the other 2 get back..guess my kids will get to go geo-ing when they want too..anyway..you can by 2 of the yellows icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif for less than a Legend icon_biggrin.gif if it's just geocaching icon_cool.gif..

barondriver1.jpg

I am a Garmin cacher..had an Aviation 90..worked good but didn't hold signal as it only looked for 5 satellites and also ate batteries icon_rolleyes.gif..so I got a Legend icon_biggrin.gif..love it, the maps, the signal, battery usage, display but the little toggle on top started acting up icon_frown.gif so it's in for warranty repair..no cost though icon_wink.gif..so bought a $99 Yellow icon_smile.gif..worked great, no maps but great for caching til I accidentally smashed it climbing a mountain icon_mad.gif..ruined the display..that's not covered by warranty but they'll fix it for less than $60..bought another Yellow icon_smile.gif since we were on a geo-vacation when the other broke ($125 this time)..so when the other 2 get back..guess my kids will get to go geo-ing when they want too..anyway..you can by 2 of the yellows icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif for less than a Legend icon_biggrin.gif if it's just geocaching icon_cool.gif..

barondriver1.jpg

Just a plain Yellow Etrex (100 dollars) works for geocaching. You might want to spend more if you want better reception or maps. If you want one with good reception, but maps aren't required, I highly recomend the Garmin GPS 12. I like it alot better then the yellow etrex which I know some people that have one. The Garmin GPS 12 DEFINETLY gets better reception then the yellow etrex, so I definetly think it's worth the 20 more dollars.

jhwf4

I guess most people wouldn't advise this, but you can use USA PhotoMaps to find many caches. Using the maps from this app, along with the descriptions on the cache page - there's probably a good chance you can claim a few caches before you make your GPS purchase.

USA PhotoMaps - requires internet connection to download maps. Oh, this program is completely free.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

quote:
How do you enter coordinates in on the etrex? Is it easier to enter when using the computer connection?

To enter coordinates on an etrex, you pretend you're marking your current location as a waypoint. While you're editing the waypoint name and symbol, you can also edit the coordinates. You have to use two buttons to scroll through a list of numbers, and edit each digit to the coordinates you want. It's a bit of a pain, and an easier way would be nice, but it's not given me carpal tunnel yet.

Downloading with a cable is much, much easier, of course. The cable looks like it runs around $30; if a more expensive Garmin comes with it, it might well be worth the investment (and you'll get a slightly more featureful GPS to boot).