Just Getting Started

danceswithwords

Hi,

Just getting started, got a "Garmin Etrex Legend C" as a gift. Reading the manual I discovered geocaching. What a interesting idea. So 2 weeks ago I found my first cache! Wahoo for me. LOL. Ottawa appears to be a great place for geocaching. I look forward to bumping into fellow geocachers.

--

dww

:rolleyes: Welcome to Geocaching!

I too discovered this hobby/pastime/sport while looking for free maps online!

Kept seeing the term "Geocaching" every once in a while and one day I clicked on the link out of curiocity and BOOM! Been doing it faithfully almost 3 years now! Alot to see and do out there and the ingenuity of some people is quite astounding!

You will enjoy it year round I promise you!

Welcome aboard!!!

:grin:

-Jayloki-

I have just stumbled onto GeoCaching as well, but I don't have the first clue on how to get started. I have purchased a basic Garmin Etrex, but haven't figured out how to use it in conjunction with Geocaching. I live about 80kms east of Ottawa Ontario, and I'm told that there are plenty of caches in this area. I hope I can meet someone in this area who is into this stuff, and hopefully can teach me the ropes. I am also an avid atv'er which I hope I can combine the two passtimes together. Any help from anyone to get me started on the basics would be deeply appreciated. Am really happy I found this site.

Thanks B)

Edited by CanadianHummer
I have just stumpled onto GeoCaching as well, but I don't have the first clue on how to get started. I have purchased a basic Garmin Etrex, but haven't figured out how to use it in conjunction with Geocaching. I live about 80kms east of Ottawa Ontario, and I'm told that there are plenty of caches in this area. I hope I can meet someone in this area who is into this stuff, and hopefully can teach me the ropes. I am also an avid atv'er which I hope I can combine the two passtimes together. Any help from anyone to get me started on the basics would be deeply appreciated. Am really happy I found this site.

Hi CanadianHummer,

80Km East of Ottawa would put you somewhere near me I think (I live near the Quebec border, a little further East from Ottawa), there are some great caches in Ottawa and Montreal, depending on where you live, it does get sparce in between. There is an event in Ottawa on April 9th, Go and Get Em 6!!!, GCN292. You can meet some of the cachers in the area, some have the same GPS you have and give you some pointers. Good luck and welcome to the fun.

Car37 & Holly

Car37&Holly~ Thanks for the warm weclome. Yes I live in L'Orignal, (near Hawkesbury) and although my Garmin Etrex is the basic model (yellow one) I am told that for geocaching it'll work just fine. As I mentioned, I have no idea how geocaching works, and if you live close to me, maybe someday we can do a little geocaching together, and I could learn from you, or at least learn enough to get started. I'm sort of a hands on type of learner (don't absorb reading too much) but once I know I something, I never forget it. If ever you'd like to get together, PM me and I'll give you my phone number. I have a friend who lives in Timmins Ontario who is a GPS and Geocaching genius, but we don't see get to visit each other because of the distance, therefore, although he'd love to teach me about it, we just don't have the time to do so. Anyway, thanks again for the welcome, and hopefully I'll be able to pick up some pointers at the Ottawa event on the 9th of April, if I can make it that day. My problem is, it doesn't say where the gathering is other than: N 45° 22.367 W 075° 39.732 UTM: 18T E 448148 N 5024576 which I have no clue how to read ( I told you I didn't know anything about geocaching lol) Can you give me an address and time of the gathering in Ottawa ? Thanks

Edited by CanadianHummer

If you are just starting out, you will find helpful info in the Geocaching.com help section.

Although I am biased, also refer to Ontario Geocaching Association for help too.

But the best source is Geocaching.com

I don't personally know Car37 & Holly but they have been very active for ages, and their suggestion of attending the Event Cache "Gage 6" is an excellent one.

Hey BQ, yes Car 37 and Holly are pretty good have met with them a few times in the past. Holly does however has a job and a half keeping Car37 under control........lol..jk..good people both of them.

Go to the event and have a blast, you will not regret going. Lots of ideas and great company along with tips on what and how are normally there for the cachers.

Have fun and meet the others, by the way danceswithwords & CanadianHummer welcome to the addiction.

Edited by Cachengrab