Mr Language Person Asks, "cammo, Camo?"

Auntie Weasel wins the prize here!

This is where my book learnin' FINALLY comes in handy....

According to the Dictionary of Abbreviations and Acronyms, "camo" is the accepted abbreviation of "camouflage." Technically, there is no standard abbreviation of "camouflageD," but the standard rules of abbreviation according to the ELI (English Language Institute) Grammar Hotline, an apostrophe and the final letter would do the trick - hence, "camo'd."

Whew! Now I can sleep!

Auntie Weasel wins the prize here!

This is where my book learnin' FINALLY comes in handy....

According to the Dictionary of Abbreviations and Acronyms, "camo" is the accepted abbreviation of "camouflage." Technically, there is no standard abbreviation of "camouflageD," but the standard rules of abbreviation according to the ELI (English Language Institute) Grammar Hotline, an apostrophe and the final letter would do the trick - hence, "camo'd."

Whew! Now I can sleep!

That's worth a beer iffin I'm ever in a position to buy you one.

DARN those Frenchies for having a different word for everything!

Do a Google for "camoflaged, and Camouflaged" the correct spelling.

This is what happens , when the Roman empire invades , and conquers your lands, which did NOT happen to Germania.(My People) The Romans never got far beyond the RHENUS (the Rhine) but did happen to my Angle, Pict. and to my Scotti, decendents. (Hispania and and Gaul as,well.) (lOSERS!)

I am NOW going to sue for the Roman invasion of my Angle ancesters,(Italia) the invasion of the Saxons ( Germans) and those frog Bast@#&%) the Normans. , for destroying My culture, Anglia!)

How ever it is, I just can't see it! :laughing:

:)  :D  :D

It's "disguised."

Thank you.

;)

I had a group of my daughters friends in the car with us a few weeks ago, when one of them pointed out a "Redneck Mobile" sitting at the redlight across from us.

It was a mid 70's Ford LTD that had mudders & a spray can camo paint job.

They were all making comments about it and laughing and then I claimed I couldn't see it.

They started pointing and saying "Right There!!"

I still played dumb!

My daughter with her mouth open wide, says, "Daddy, Really! That big ugly car right OVER THERE!"

About that time the light changed and it pulled off in true Redneck fashion, Gas pedal on the floor with dual glass packs a roarin'!!

I said, "Oh OK, Now that it's moving and making all that noise I see it."

My daughter looks at me with this dumbfounded look on her face and said, "You really didn't see it?" :D

I replied, "What!?! It had a camo paint job!" and grinned.

Eyes were rolling all over the car as they all groaned!

:):rolleyes:<_<:unsure::ph34r:

D-man :)

Edited by gridlox

One more note to the above kids & Cammo story.

These were the same group of kids that I chaperoned on a field trip last year.

I had them all believing that the reflectors that stick up all along the highways that make a sound when you run over them were there so that blind people could drive on the highways.

That the reason they made that thunk-thunk sound is so that the blind would know when they were getting out of their lane and could pull back over some.

One of the dads called me rolling with laughter a few days later because his daughter told them the story at dinner!!

I love playing "Psych's on gullible pre-teens!!

<_<:laughing::rolleyes:

Edited by gridlox
Merrian-Webster Online suggests using the word "commode".  (They're always so helpful!) 

My guess is that the proper word would be 'cammoed'.  Spelt the way it's pronounced.

Isn't Commode where you go when you gota go. :rolleyes::laughing:

Edited by Dr123d
I think the correct term is camoflaged. I don't belive camoed or cammoed are words.

I agree and would not abbreviate it, although I see Cool Librarian's research into the accepted abbreviation. I often tend to avoid both abbreviations and contractions, probably because my job requires so much professional writing that I am used to that.

If I have time later, I will run up to the library and look it up in the Oxford English Dictionary. There is often interesting information in that.

In the British Army the shortened version of camoflaged is 'cammed', and when you are in the process of camoflaging something or yourself then it is known as 'camming up'.

Boring or what?! I can't believe I have spent precious time on this! So I'm off to hide somewhere - all cammed up! :)

No Need, Carleenp - I'm at work and BORED out of my mind....

From the Oxford English Dictionary (database version, which we pay big money for, so it hd better be right :) )

Camouflage - noun

[Fr., f. camouflet CAMOUFLET.]

The disguising of any objects used in war, such as camps, guns, ships, by means of paint, smoke-screens, shrubbery, etc., in such a way as to conceal it from the enemy; also, the disguise used in this way; freq. attrib.

1917 Daily Mail 25 May 4/4 The act of hiding anything from your enemy is termed ‘camouflage’. 1917 Ibid. 16 July 5/3 The King paid a visit to what is called a camouflage factory. 1922 C. E. MONTAGUE Disenchantment viii. 108 A French aerodrome across which the French camouflage painters had simply painted a great white high-road. 1948 Sci. News VII. 84 Features..which in a normal colour photograph might escape detection could often be clearly differentiated in this ‘camouflage detection’ film. 1957 Granta 9 Mar., We took home a few pieces of camouflage-painted aluminium.

b. transf. and fig.

1918 G. B. SHAW Pen Portraits & Reviews (1932) 35 The first necessity of such souls when truth is about, as it always is, is camouflage, or, better still, complete cover. 1920 R. MACAULAY Potterism I. iii, It's a very laudable object, and needs no camouflage. 1963 V. NABOKOV Gift iv. 251 Striped and spotted with words, dressed in verbal camouflage, the important idea he wished to convey would slip through.

Camouflage - verb

[f. the n.]

To conceal by or as by camouflage. So camouflaged ppl. a., camouflaging vbl. n.

1917 Daily Mail 16 July 5/3 The King saw all the latest Protean tricks for concealing or, as we all say now, for ‘camouflaging’ guns, snipers, observers. 1918 W. OWEN Let. Apr. (1967) 545 Your portrait is certainly slightly camouflaged. 1919 DOWNING Digger Dialects 15 Camouflaged Aussy, an Englishman serving with the A.I.F. 1920 Blackw. Mag. Mar. 332/1 Number One, ensconced in the little camouflaged control. 1921 Spectator 23 Apr. 518/2 The house telephone.., its extremely ugly box ‘camouflaged’ with the pattern of the paper. 1922 W. J. LOCKE Tale of Triona ii. 21 These are real eggs, although they're camouflaged in a Chinese scramble. 1924 GALSWORTHY White Monkey II. xi, Queer how Nature camouflaged her schemes. 1970 Daily Mail 24 Mar. 4/9 Television needs a lot more money to improve quality and variety. Colour merely camouflages the same old material.

And for those who give a (insert favorite word here):

Camouflet (the French word it is derived from)

[Fr.: see Littré.]

1. A mine containing a small charge of powder, placed in a wall of earth between the galleries of besieged and besieger, so as, in exploding, to bury, suffocate, or cut off the retreat of the miner on the opposite side; a ‘stifler’.

1836 in Penny Cycl. VI. 197/1 Camouflet or Stifler. 1847 in CRAIG.

2. A subterranean cavity formed by a bomb exploding beneath the surface of the earth.

1941 Nature 17 May 596/2 If the bomb is too deep, the breaking of the surface does not occur; it is simply heaved up and drops back more or less into place. This is called a ‘camouflet’.

Now, of course, this doesn't address the abbreviation question because as previosly stated, the abbreviation, in whatever form, isn't an actual word. TECHNICALLY....

However, the Cassell Dictionary of Slang lists both "cammie" and "camo" as abbreviations dating back to the 1970s, (most likely the result of the Vietnam War). That past tense, camo'd, was not addresses.

See, this is what happens when no one comes in and asks me a question in person!

Thanks Cool Librarian!!!!

Also, at the risk of being OT (sorry mods!), every year when I get my tax refund I eye the whole full set of the Oxford English Dictionary on ebay. I soooo want a set! Yes, I can go up a flight of stairs to see it at work in the State Library, but I want to own it, and in full size, not that verison of a couple of bound books that come with a magnifying glass!!!! I want the whole 20 large books (or whatever it is up to now)! Yeah.... I am a nerd..... :laughing:

Edited by carleenp

Carleenp,

I'm nerding right there with ya!

We don't even have the full one at my library - too big and too expensive! We subscribe to the online version, which actually has more info, but isn't nearly as cool! (Did I just call a dictionary "cool?")

While people don't spend the money to updat that frequently, the volumes do change and people do discard them. Go to your local LARGE universities and find out if they have a plan for them when they update.

Carleenp,

I'm nerding right there with ya!

We don't even have the full one at my library - too big and too expensive! We subscribe to the online version, which actually has more info, but isn't nearly as cool! (Did I just call a dictionary "cool?")

While people don't spend the money to updat that frequently, the volumes do change and people do discard them. Go to your local LARGE universities and find out if they have a plan for them when they update.

Dictionaries ARE cool! I collect them and actually sit and read them for no reason at times (nerd, nerd, nerd....) . My local University tends to keep old volumes in archive or will sell if they have multiples, but they never seem to have a set to sell. I would like to get the set at once. They show up on ebay at times. One of these days I will give in and click the bid link! I figure I will go for a most recent set since I wouldn't likely pay to update it.

So to get back on topic, any predicitions when Geocaching will show up in Dictionaries, whether Oxford or others? I figure it is just a matter of time! :laughing: Hmmm, maybe I should wait and buy Oxford after it adds geocaching! :)

It can all be yours if you have an extra $5,297.00 laying around!

OED

As for a "geocaching" appearing, I would say that if the sports continues/gain in popularity over the next five years, it will appear in a dictionary - though maybe not OED - who knows!

Wow, I need a life....

They show up from time to time around $800-1000 for fairly recent sets. From watching over time, I have seen them go from $100-500 for older (quite old) and beat up ones to $900-1700 for newer (e.g. 1995-new or so) in good shape. They come and go on there.

I bet it will take a bit for geocaching to show up in OED, but I could see it in Webster's soon (especially in an update of the New International Unabridged). Then OED would likely follow (in updates or a later edition if it doesn't take many, many years like the 2nd edition did.) It will be interesting to see!!! :huh:

Edit: Here is one for $999.99. I see that price quite a bit on amazon sellers as well for new sets. Wow! It is 152 lbs! There is a bit of triva! What does the OED wiegh! Ha ha! :)

Another edit: Wow! That one you linked is leather bound. So it is a major collector thing. I wish I had the money! I don't. :laughing:

Edited by carleenp
As for a "geocaching" appearing, I would say that if the sports continues/gain in popularity over the next five years, it will appear in a dictionary - though maybe not OED - who knows!

Look up geocaching on dictionary.com and see . . .

1 entry found for geocaching.

Main Entry: geocaching

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: a type of scavenger hunt for waterproof containers bearing treasure using the containers' exact geographic coordinates and Global Positioning System devices

Example: Geocaching can be a lot of work, especially in a remote urban area.

Etymology: geo- + cache

Usage: geocache n, v

Source: Webster's New Millennium™ Dictionary of English, Preview Edition (v 0.9.5)

Copyright © 2003, 2004 Lexico Publishing Group, LLC

Look up geocaching on dictionary.com and see . . .

1 entry found for geocaching.

Main Entry: geocaching

Part of Speech: noun

Definition: a type of scavenger hunt for waterproof containers bearing treasure using the containers' exact geographic coordinates and Global Positioning System devices

Example: Geocaching can be a lot of work, especially in a remote urban area.

Etymology: geo- + cache

Usage: geocache n, v

Source: Webster's New Millennium™ Dictionary of English, Preview Edition (v 0.9.5)

Copyright © 2003, 2004 Lexico Publishing Group, LLC

Yay! They should list "geocaching" as a verb though. :laughing:

Edit: OK they list n,v at the end and it could also be noun at times (nerdy again!). :)

Edited by carleenp

OP here, I like the way this thread has turned. I happen to have three dictionaries on my desk at this moment. Though I confess, I'd never considered coveting the OED. Hmm, a mere $1K. I guess it could go on the covet list - right after tearing up the old carpet and laying hardwood. Oh, I know, camo carpet! Swirling palms and palmettos with vague rectangular boxy background images.

Edited by Isonzo Karst
Oh, I know, camo carpet! Swirling palms and palmettos with vague rectangular boxy background images.

My nephew just returned from marine basic training a few weeks ago. He showed me all his desert and forest "cammie" gear and told me about how the latest and most effective cammie is the new digital stuff he showed me, that much of the armed forces don't have yet, but will be getting soon.

Along these lines, cammie as a verb readily becomes cammied, without the need of an apostrophy. Nice and clean.

But then, I still think camo'd sounds and looks better. Cammie has kind of a sissy sound to it, even if it is comming out of the mouth of a well armed marine. :rolleyes: