Trimble Outdoors

aps32

Hey guys, just getting into the GPS thing, bought a magellan meridian color over the weekend. Anyway, my question is have any of you ever heard of this Trimble outdoors software, according to their website they offer alot more than the mapsend topo and its $50. If you have a nextel account you can get aerial photography of the site you are at, but i don't so its not an issue. Here is the Trimble Site You guys know anything about it?

Thanks for your help, looking forward to getting into this thing with ya'll

Aaron

The link doesn't work. This worked for me though trimble outdoors

I haven't really seen much/heard much about it, but I do know that you can't export the actual maps to the meridian. You can export waypoints and routes, but not maps.

If you are just looking for maps on your pc or printing them, it would probably be fine.

For a bit of free software that will do a lot of what TrimOD will do see USAPhotomaps.

I'm not an expert at Trimble Outdoors' adventure planner but I've tried it. I've tried to get maps loaded into my Magellan Sportrak Color and it could not do that. It can only upload maps into the nextel phone. However, what it can do for Magellan and Garmin GPS units is uploading of waypoints and routes. As I said, I've tried but failed but probably a SME might be able to give more help than me.

I'm not an expert at Trimble Outdoors' adventure planner but I've tried it. I've tried to get maps loaded into my Magellan Sportrak Color and it could not do that. It can only upload maps into the nextel phone. However, what it can do for Magellan and Garmin GPS units is uploading of waypoints and routes. As I said, I've tried but failed but probably a SME might be able to give more help than me.

The only maps you can upload to a Magellan GPS are the MapSend products by Thales/Magellan.

Edited by sledgehampster
The only maps you can upload to a Magellan GPS are the MapSend products by Thales/Magellan.

I've tried and successfully able to upload stuff into my Mag GPS which isn't Mapsend product. And it's not waypoints and routes but maps.

What is the name of the product you used and what maps do they have? Do you have a link? Thanks.

_Intrepid' date='Mar 1 2005, 05:59 PM']

I've tried and successfully able to upload stuff into my Mag GPS which isn't Mapsend product. And it's not waypoints and routes but maps.

What is the name of the product you used and what maps do they have? Do you have a link? Thanks.

Yes...do tell.

Kenneth

I *think* that at one time, magellan had a software package that you could use to make maps to upload. From what I remember, it was expensive and only available to professionals. But that is going completely from memory which is probably wrong.

I suppose that if you could figure out the format for the magellan .img file, you could probably find a way to convert vector maps into that format, but I don't know of anyone/any product that can do it.

I *think* that at one time, magellan had a software package that you could use to make maps to upload.  From what I remember, it was expensive and only available to professionals.  But that is going completely from memory which is probably wrong.

I suppose that if you could figure out the format for the magellan .img file, you could probably find a way to convert vector maps into that format, but I don't know of anyone/any product that can do it.

If you "figure" out the format, I'd suggest you don't post how with your login as doing so would bring down the wrath of Thales lawyers on you.

But sharing with everyone would be nice...just do so from a library with a sock puppet account. (I'm having fun as I don't believe anyone will reverse engineer it or if they do post publically how to).

As for fletcherng, I suspect we haven't heard back from them because they most likely do not have such a way to do this.

fletcherng, prove me wrong......

Kenneth

I *think* that at one time, magellan had a software package that you could use to make maps to upload.  From what I remember, it was expensive and only available to professionals. 

Not only is it true, it's also free. The software is MobileMapper, which works with Meridian and SporTrak receivers. More info is available at Yahoo's MobileMapper group.

Rich Owings

MakeYourOwnMaps.com

"We were desert mystics, my friends and I, pouring over our maps as

others do their holy books." - Edward Abbey