Finnish Stats Pages Are Closed

hikerbiker...

I wonder am I the only one who misses Bo+Elisabeth's and Cyberjunkies Finnish stat pages? There were plenty of interesting and mostly manually calculated information about Finnish geocacher's activity. Mostly I miss statistics about this years founds... There is tiny possibility to get these specific pages back if this issue get some feedback here. :huh:

OK, last try. Send me a message to my profile email before Thursday 10.3. if you had found Finnish Statics pages useful and miss them back. I will collect them altogether and send the list to Bo. Bo has let me know that if those statistics had any real use, they will come the most probably back to net.

Yritän nyt viimeisen kerran. Lähetä viesti profiilini sähköpostiosoitteeseen torstaihin 10.3 mennessä mikäli olet kokenut että Bo'n ylläpitämät Suomalaiset tilastosivut olivat tarpeelliset. Kerään viestit yhteen ja lähetän kaikkien terveiset Bo'lle. Bo antoi ymmärtää että näin toimien meillä oikeasti on mahdollisuus saada tilastosivut takaisin verkkoon.

It's a very common thing. Everybody wants something, but they don't want to help and/or doesn't say anything about it.

You spend a lot of time making something and don't receive any mails saying "Wow, this is great. Keep up the good work!"... So you just cancel it.

The same problem can be found with the Swedish geocaching e-zine, 1000 people downloaded the 4th issue. Right after that did I write on the Swedish forum, I need help if the ezine shall survive. I don't have time. Not a single person responded to it. First of whining about "1000 people can read it, but 0 can help me" :ph34r: did I get a few people helping me out....

Everybody wants to have it, but none wants to help. The most part are just sitting relaxed in the armchair and enjoying everything, but doesn't tell how much they like it.

Everybody wants to have it, but none wants to help. The most part are just sitting relaxed in the armchair and enjoying everything, but doesn't tell how much they like it.

How right you are !!

And still I cannot completely agree with you !!

I think most GeoCachers have a 'normal life' to live and caching is just one hobby among others. Today most people are overloaded with hobbies, and work, and homework, and kids, and etc etc....

However they like Caching, and they like to post some opinions every now and then in the GC forums, they like to spend an exiting day out there when they enjoy the nature and fresh air. Some people like to give advice when they know more about the GPSrs than what normal people tend to know. There are so many reasons, all better than any other.

Taking a responsibility to help upkeeping some records is completely different. There you give a promise to have time and energy to do something forever which is different, it is very soon boring, it is the same work you already know, it is like what you do most of the days in you job. It is the opposite to GeoCaching.

I think the Finnish Stats Pages are quite interesting to visit every now and then and I have been there quite often. However, if I have the change to choose, I like to go out there to search for new places and new caches rather than work with my laptop to update any web-pages. It might be very different if I had more time than I am able to spend (what a scary thought !!), but it is not the case now. Most people may feel the same way ??!!!

I give all my respect to those people who have the energy and time to build these features, but I think it is not correct to say

"The most part are just sitting relaxed in the armchair and enjoying everything, but doesn't tell how much they like it. "

How rigth you're both, Jupilli & Hedberg. Voluntary work for any hobby is ungrateful for the maker. Nobody will thank you but there are many who does want to criticize you what ever you do. The majority of the crowd are afraid of helping to one other because they are fearing the work load they might be involved. My deepest sympathies to all volunteers who had kept up those Nordic statistics. I have enjoyed those curves & tables a lot. I have been visiting them many times during week. I have kept wondering who are those magnificent persons behind that enormous work. I am just an ordinary cacher without any special knowledge about that kind of computer work, I just couldn't do anything similar ever. Your pages are just GREAT & I surely hope they will rebirth again soon! :laughing:

Voluntary work for any hobby is ungrateful for the maker. Nobody will thank you but there are many who does want to criticize you what ever you do.

Tell me about it... :laughing: Well, to be honest - some of you have thanked me for reviewing caches - but I've received also too many "not so happy" e-mails and some people have criticized me also in public, here in forums. Fortunately I have quite thick skin :rolleyes: otherwise I would have stopped this volunteer job long ago...

Today I got a long list with names of Finnish geocachers who wants to have the Nordic Geocaching Statistics back.

Most likely my name wasn't on the list, but please be assured I really like that page. It's nice to have a look if people I know have been seeking caches even though I haven't and also if somebody has reacently visited some cache I have especially liked. It's great to know somebody both can and cares to do such pages. Thanks.

Thank you very much for these pages. I was especially excited to notice that you had added a cache map of Tampere & Helsinki area to the pages. That is very useful for us who don+t know either of the cities very well eventhough we live close to Tampere. Seeing the locations on a map sure helps in planning caching trips.

Johanna