Advice

choppy1

Yes, but its older unit (as you probably realize)

It can only track 8 sats (multitrack 8 or whatever they call it). newer units are 12 or 14 channel. Meaning the 40 will update slower, and be a littlle more prone to losing its lock.

It also can only hold 250waypoints but it will take quite a while to fill that up by hand.

40 maunel PDF

e/ oh, and it also might only go out to two decimal points. this would make for a larger search area. the workaround if it has UTM is to convert to that. Im not sure if it does not.

Edited by welch

Hello Welsh,

You are most kind and helpful.

All I need is to find if I'm in the general area,then use the written clues to find the cache.

If I get going alright,then I will invest in an e-trex model.

The price the person wants is £20 which is around $35.

Your e-trex prices are lower where you are.

The best we can get is about £75,UK,perhaps $120 for you.

Going to bed now(late here)

but would you mind if I asked you the odd question.?

I wont pester you-honest.

choppy1,

Derby(near Nottingham)

UK

ps

I was'nt sure how long it would take me to put

just one waypoint in.

Are we talking of minutes or ages?

How long would it take to

enter a waypont thingy,do you think,and

could I do it the day before I

set out to find a cache.

After you've figured out how to work the unit maybe 60seconds :D

But thats AFTER you've played with the unit to firuge out the buttons, and maybe read the manuel.

Usually what you do is press the 'mark' button and save it. Then got back to the waypoints and edit it to the coords for whatever point your entering.

fyi - if you haven't used the gps in a while you may need to let it build up an almanac. This is explained in the PDF on page 12. Simply take it out and power it up and let it sit there for 10-20 minutes, or till it gets a lock, whichever happens first.

Choppy,

The unit will get you to the general location of the cache and then you would need to switch to manual search mode (look with eyes), this is what most cachers have to do anyway as few co-ordinates given will drop you dead on the booty. :rolleyes: . You do need to acknowledge the previous comments that it may lose its lock more frequently than newer units however.

The yellow e-trex is a brilliant little device and there is no reason that you couldn't but it over the internet and pay $75 for one.

Hope this helps

MobileMerlin

The yellow e-trex is a brilliant little device and there is no reason that you couldn't but it over the internet and pay $75 for one.

maybe maybe not. (nothing against the etrex, its great, I have 3!)

But several sites do not ship to UK /or it adds lots of shipping and VAT and such. I don't claim to understand it all, but if Choppy says they can't get one for under $120 :rolleyes: I'd just believe it.