Gps In Airline Luggage

hsmykids

When we were on a flight last fall, I had four GPS units in my carry-on bag. (One for each crab, plus our older backup, plus one we were bringing with us as a gift for someone.) After the bag went through X-ray and came out the conveyor belt, the guy kind of frowned at me and took the bag back. "We'll have to send this through again," he said. He and another guy watched closely as it went through a second time, whispered to each other, and then handed me the bag without any further comment.

On the flight back home, we had only three GPS units in the bag, and it didn't raise an eyebrow. So, apparently, three is fine; four is a bit questionable.

Different airlines have different policies on what they do/do not allow to be used during flight, most are pretty similar, but some may vary. As far as security checkpoint goes, the worst thing that could happen by carrying your GPSr through would be that you are made to turn it on for a TSA agent. Extra batteries are allowed, fingernail clippers are allowed as long as they don't have the little pointy file, but cigarette lighters are no longer allowed.

I don't know if the GPS unit that I have will give a correct travel speed as fast as jet airliners go.  Pegging the speedo??  ;)

GPS signals propagate at around 186,300 miles per second. Commercial airplane speeds generally do not exceed 600 miles per hour. Your GPS is roughly a million times faster than your airplane, and will have no trouble keeping up.

I might be wrong, but isn't the question/concern raised here regarding the ability of the GPSr to calculate and display ground speeds greater than a certain value? Rocket science, it is not. I know for sure that the user manual for my unit clearly states the unit's speed calculation limit. I would suspect that other GPSr's have similar limitations.

Mine says 1000 knots

Off topic, but for you smokers with butane lighters, these are no longer allowed in checked luggage or hand carried.  I believe that you can still carry a zippo on with you, but I'm not sure.

Let me be sure that I understand this. If you put the zippo in your pocket it is ok. If you put it in your briefcase it is not? Is this what you are saying?

I blieve that this closes the loop on this one: "The government will ban cigarette lighters on airplanes beginning in April, but passengers can still tote as many as four matchbooks in carry-on bags, security officials said. The Transportation Security Administration said passengers cannot carry butane, battery-powered or other lighters on themselves or in carry-on bags after April 14. The TSA said butane, absorbed-fuel (Zippo-type), electric/battery-powered and novelty lighters were included in the ban. "

You might want to put it in your checked luggage.

Edited by Team cotati697

However...since 9/11/01, you're not allowed to transport batteries on a plane, be it opened package or not. Put your batteries in your checked luggage, or they will take them from you. They'll also take nail scissors from you.

That's interesting because when I was flying back from Paris, the security guy there seemed very interested in what type of batteries I was carrying and whether or not any of my battery-powered appliances like my shaver had been out of my sight or to a repair shop. He was apparently trying to screen-out bombs disguised as battery packs.

He didn't show any concern towards the many NimH AAs that I was carrying, he was interested in my spare laptop battery. It went through the scanner twice.

DeGaulle airport had the most intense screening that I've ever been through at an airport and even then it wasn't so bad, 10 minutes max. In a way, it was reassuring.

That would lead me to believe that the airport security is pandering to the different regulations of the individual airlines.. so that one airline doesn't see a problem with GPS during flight.. They all must use it themselves.. and it isn't a transmitter, but a receiver, while another airline won't allow it.

All receivers are transmitters.

To amplify the signal from the air, they broadcast a very weak signal on the antenna.

Yes, I know, It's over-simplified, you folks feel free to type a long technical diatribe below.

There was a tread, with a list, about a month ago for the airlines that allow you to use GPS in flight.

I know you can carry guns in your luggage.

"I know you can carry guns in your luggage." I'd really like to see the airline and/or TSA documentation that describes the conditions and circumstances wherein this is permited.

Didn't one of george bush's body guards get pulled from a flight for trying to board a flight while packing heat? Yes, I am quite certain about that.

Edited by Team cotati697

From Southwest Airlines website (iflyswa.com):

Guns and Ammunition

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Guns

Customers are responsible for knowing and following the firearms laws of the state(s) that they will be traveling to, from, and through.

Our Customers must declare the gun to the Customer Service Agent at the ticket counter (no firearms will be accepted curbside) and prove that the firearm(s) chambers are free of ammunition and the magazine clip has been removed (when applicable). Paint guns and BB guns are considered the same as all other firearms.

Firearms must be encased in a hard-sided, LOCKED container that is of sufficient strength to withstand normal handling, as follows:

A firearm in a hard-sided, locked container may be placed inside a soft-sided, unlocked suitcase.

A firearm placed inside a hard-sided, locked suitcase does not have to be encased in a container manufactured for the transportation of firearms.

Only the Customer checking the luggage should retain the key or combination to the lock. No exceptions will be made.

The Customer is entitled to check sporting firearms in addition to his or her normal free baggage allowance. We allow multiple firearms to be transported inside one hard-sided case.

Southwest Airlines assumes no liability for the misalignment of sights on firearms, including those equipped with telescopic sights.

Firearms are never allowed in carryon luggage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ammunition

Small arms ammunition for personal use (provided it is properly packed) is permissible in checked baggage only.

The ammunition may be placed in the same container as the firearm and must be securely packed in cardboard (fiber), wood, or metal boxes, or other packaging specifically designed to carry small amounts of ammunition.

When checking ammunition, Customers are limited to 11 pounds gross weight (ammunition plus container) per person.

Magazines or clips containing ammunition must be securely packaged (placed in another small box or in a secure cutout in the carrying case, in order to protect the primer of the ammunition).

Make sure guns are unloaded and definitely never transport a gun in your carryon baggage!

Gunpowder (black powder) and primers or percussion caps are not allowed in checked or carryon baggage.

Loose ammunition or loose loaded magazines and/or clips are not allowed.

Also from Southwest Airlines website:

When indicated by Flight Attendant announcements, during the cruise phase of flight these devices may be operated: DVD, CD, and tape players, personal digital assistants (PDAs or hand-held computers), electronic calculators, hand held electronic games, electronic cameras, Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) receivers, and devices that compose e-mail or text messages without transmitting or receiving.

I blieve that this closes the loop on this one: "...The Transportation Security Administration said passengers cannot carry butane, battery-powered or other lighters on themselves or in carry-on bags after April 14. The TSA said butane, absorbed-fuel (Zippo-type), electric/battery-powered and novelty lighters were included in the ban. "

Nope, lighters have been banned from checked baggage for some time already:

http://www.shortstravel.com/ncaachamps/tra...dProhibited.pdf

Up to now some types have been allowed as carry-on, but the new regulations prohibit that as well after April 14th.

I fly pretty often, and have never had any electronic devices questioned. A stapler, yes. A nail file, yes. For some reason they have never questioned my corkscrew, which could actually be used as a weapon.

But if you want to raise eyebrows, put some travel bugs in your carry-on. Twice in three days I had to explain little toys with funny metal tags on them. (One today was Donald Duck in a hula skirt. OK - I guess any reasonable person would question that...)

I used my GPSr several times onboard before 9/11. It was really fun, but I had to set it on the window sill and tilt it outward. It was fun to see how fast we were zooming across the map. Also, 30,000 feet or so and 600+ miles per hour. I also set up a box for display of vertical climb and decel. I swear we were dropping like a rock on landing!

Lighters Added to Prohibited Items List

In response to a provision in The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, TSA has added all lighters to its Prohibited Items List – which means they will soon be prohibited past the security checkpoints at the nation’s airports. The ban is effective immediately, but TSA will not begin enforcement action until Thursday, April 14, 2005. On that date, lighters will be treated as any other prohibited item and passengers will need to surrender them to the TSA or leave them in their vehicle or with someone who is not traveling.

All lighters will be banned from sterile areas beyond security checkpoints at airports. This includes, for example, butane, absorbed-fuel (Zippo-type), electric/battery-powered and novelty lighters.

# # #

That would lead me to believe that the airport security is pandering to the different regulations of the individual airlines.. so that one airline doesn't see a problem with GPS during flight.. They all must use it themselves.. and it isn't a transmitter, but a receiver, while another airline won't allow it.

All receivers are transmitters.

To amplify the signal from the air, they broadcast a very weak signal on the antenna.

Yes, I know, It's over-simplified, you folks feel free to type a long technical diatribe below.

All receivers can leak their intermediate frequency (IF). The IF isn't used for amplification. It is used to mix with the received frequency to produce a signal that the unit can use.

Both the IF frequency and the signal made from mixing can interfere with near by electronic. If they use the same frequencies and both units are not shielded. How close do they have to be? It isn't an exact science. It depends on enviromental factors. But usually a few feet are enough to prevent any interference. Unless one of the units is malfunctioning.

Lighters Added to Prohibited Items List

In response to a provision in The Intelligence Reform and Terrorism Prevention Act of 2004, TSA has added all lighters to its Prohibited Items List – which means they will soon be prohibited past the security checkpoints at the nation’s airports. The ban is effective immediately, but TSA will not begin enforcement action until Thursday, April 14, 2005. On that date, lighters will be treated as any other prohibited item and passengers will need to surrender them to the TSA or leave them in their vehicle or with someone who is not traveling.

All lighters will be banned from sterile areas beyond security checkpoints at airports. This includes, for example, butane, absorbed-fuel (Zippo-type), electric/battery-powered and novelty lighters.

# # #

Are you quite certain about that?

I blieve that this closes the loop on this one: "...The Transportation Security Administration said passengers cannot carry butane, battery-powered or other lighters on themselves or in carry-on bags after April 14. The TSA said butane, absorbed-fuel (Zippo-type), electric/battery-powered and novelty lighters were included in the ban. "

Nope, lighters have been banned from checked baggage for some time already:

http://www.shortstravel.com/ncaachamps/tra...dProhibited.pdf

Up to now some types have been allowed as carry-on, but the new regulations prohibit that as well after April 14th.

It appears as though you might be required to spring for a $3 buck Bic at your destination 7-11 store. Life can really suck sometimes.

The agents at the ticket counter should check your ID to see if it is not expired. If it is expired, you are supposed to be flagged as a 'selectee'; thereby requiring a closer inspection as you go through security.

Does this also apply if you are NOT carrying a GPSr and 3 dozen batteries?

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting thier GPS unit confiscated? I'll be flying next week and I really don't want to risk the loss. Based on everything I have read here, it's not likely to raise an eyebrow at all. But imagine how much it would suck!

I have never had any trouble. For the past year I always have two GPSrs with me when I am travleing (which is generally monthly). My etrex Legend looks like a cell phone and my iQ3600 is my PDA, so I cannot see these raising any questions. I always have these items in my carry-on where I can account for them if they do raise questions. In the same place in my back-pack where I put these devices, I also have various power adapters, my cell phone, power strip, network cables, usb devices, etc, so that when that goes through the x-ray machine, it must look like spaghetti and meatballs. Even with that, it has never generated a question.

My worries in going through airport security is usually twofold: (1) will my pants will stay up while my belt goes through the x-ray machine and (2) will I contract some sort of foot disease as I am walking around in my socks where so many others are doing same.

Has anyone ever heard of someone getting thier GPS unit confiscated? I'll be flying next week and I really don't want to risk the loss. Based on everything I have read here, it's not likely to raise an eyebrow at all. But imagine how much it would suck!

Yeah, I can just imagine how much that that would suck. Just terrible.

I recently went from New York to California and back for a trade show. I had the following in my carry-on:

Magellan SporTrak GPS

Magellan GPS 315

Garmin Etrex

Garmin GPS 12 XL

Lowrance iFinder Pro

Dell Axim x50v PDA w/ CF card GPS

Dell Axim x30 PDA

Tablet PC

Dell Laptop

Pharos Pocket GPS for the Axim x30

My wife was "marked" as fitting a "profile" (I guess the thick long black hair could appear Middle-Eastern). They did a more thorough search (but not intrusive) and also flagged my tablet PC because it was in the same bin as my laptop case (which was empty). Ran the "sniffer" over my tablet and we were sent on our merry way.

Regarding GPS use on flights, I have asked and been given permission a few times, but never able to pick up a signal even at the window.

I carry a PDA, Blackberry, GPS, Digital Camera, Laptop, TBs, Cell Phone, laptop wires, chargers for everything above and extra batteries for the above with me through security all the time. (My carryon is nicknamed The Anvil due to it's weight) They sometimes recheck my bags when I have a big mess of wires in the pockets but otherwise they just pass it through.

I HAVE found something that actually got serious attention- a pedometer! I guess it looked like a timer of some sort due to it's moving springy thingy and digital readout. Luckily one of the security folks saw me take it off my belt and latch it to my purse before it went through the screening. But it was something new for them to encounter so they sent it through a few times to show everyone who does the screenings what a pedometer looks like from their perspective. I wasn't in a hurry and noone else was in line so I didn't mind them using it for a teaching tool. It was kinda interesting to watch.

-Jennifer

I've carried mine on at least a half dozen times and never been questioned about it or asked to turn it on to prove it was functional, as with a laptop.

When I was a kid I took my scanner(radio) with me and they made me turn that on...the lady seemed pretty interested when I told her I could get cell phones.....Ahhh the good old days before digital phones messed everything up...LOL.......

Delay

GPS no problem - I keep it off in deference to flight attendants who may be uncomfortable with me using it - and there are some. On international flights there is always a public GPS display availalbe anyway.

Camera tripod on the other hand - this is not allowed and did it put a bee in my bonnet when I showed up at security, already having checked my luggage only to find out my lightweight, breakable tripod would have to be checked in a flimsy cardboard carton provided by the airline. Was sure it would end up in pieces, but I got lucky and it ended up intact.

I read the posts about using GPS in flight, however my question is about putting it in your carry-on luggage. I do not plan on using it in flight. But does it raise suspicion when you go through baggage x-ray if you have it in your carry-on luggage? I really don't want to be pulled aside and interrogated because the baggage inspector is not familiar with a GPS. It does not seem like any previous posters about GPS and airplane use had any problem passing through security with their GPS.

I take my GPS and so forth along every single time I fly, and I fly a lot. And every single time, when I get to my destination and unpack, I find a form letter inside my suitcase, cheerfully informing me that my bag had been opened and searched by the TSA. And I know why -- the GPS, camera, etc. in my backpack, inside the suitcase, shows up as a sufficiently suspicious item that they want to look at it. It doesn't bother me and they always put everything back the way they found it.

-- Lemur

Edited by Otter and Lemur
I take my GPS and so forth along every single time I fly, and I fly a lot. And every single time, when I get to my destination and unpack, I find a form letter inside my suitcase, cheerfully informing me that my bag had been opened and searched by the TSA. And I know why -- the GPS, camera, etc. in my backpack, inside the suitcase, shows up as a sufficiently suspicious item that they want to look at it. It doesn't bother me and they always put everything back the way they found it.

-- Lemur

Airlines will advise not to pack such devices in checked luggage. They are targets for minimum wage baggage handlers.

I had a several thousand dollar device hocked from my luggage in Paris. It must have been the baggage screeners or they were somehow complicent.

I was lucky, after the paltry contribution from the airline, two additional insurers together ended up paying entirely for the replacement, but I had to wait for months for the reimbursements.

I read the posts about using GPS in flight, however my question is about putting it in your carry-on luggage. I do not plan on using it in flight. But does it raise suspicion when you go through baggage x-ray if you have it in your carry-on luggage? I really don't want to be pulled aside and interrogated because the baggage inspector is not familiar with a GPS. It does not seem like any previous posters about GPS and airplane use had any problem passing through security with their GPS.

-- Lemur

Depending on the airport EVERYONE gets that note. Smaller airports especially. I get it every time I fly from Missoula, and I do not pack anything but clothing and my shower kit in the suitcase. From larger airports with full sized scanning equipment you don't see them as often.

-J

I've tried to use my GPSr units in flight twice, but found it impossible to get a lock on a signal. Both times that I tried it I was in a window seat. I let the GPS search for a signal for 5 to 10 minutes but both times it could only find 2 satellites with any signal strength, and that's not enough. I figured I just did not have enough access to the sky. Being in a plane is too much like being indoors.

Has anyone found a trick to getting a decent GPS signal while in flight? I figure it's kind of fun to see where you are and how fast your going.

I've never had any issues with loosing GPSrs or batteries in airport security. My dignity, on the other hand, has been compromized on a number of occaisions.

I'v tried it multiple times and always gotten a signal. It took a few mins to get a bad signal(~500 feet accuracy) and then a min later got a really good signal.

Every time i've been in an airport they've never stopped me for loose batteries or GPS.