'grabbing' Tb's

Also if you find a TB in a cache and it has not been logged as placed there yet please wait till it is logged as placed - dont just grab it from the person who has it. They are probebly on their way home and will normally log it that day

Bob

This comes up time and time again! Why are people so defensive about have TBs grabbed from them? If you find a TB in a cache and it's still listed as being in the hands of a cacher but you want to get on with logging your cache activities then the grab facility can be used to bring the TB into your possession. You should then place the TB into the cache to keep it's mileage correct and retrieve it back into your possession. For all you know the person who placed the TB in the cache could be on holiday and not have internet access for days or weeks!

Grabbing a TB from the current holder (who might be on their way home to log it) means that the TB's log doesn't get the mileage to that cache added to it.

I suppose that if you do take a TB from a cache which hasn't been logged in, grabbing it from the current holder, loggin it into the cache, then out again would keep it's mileage up to date, and save you having to wait for them to log it.

It might annoy the person you've grabbed it off, as they might feel that you're a bit impatient. I'd tend to wait a few days to give them a chance to log it, then log it myself, but everyone plays it differently I suppose.

When I was just starting geocaching I mistakenly grabbed a TB and got myself into all kinds of trouble and since then I have been reluctant to grab TB's and prefer to ask the holder via email to log it first!!

However, as Pyoung1s said, the way to do it is log it into the cache after grabbing it (either by way of your normal log or writing a note) then log it out again to keep the mileage correct.

But usually a wee email sorts the situation out and saves all that jiggery pokery .... right Pyoung1s ??? :huh::o:o:o:o:P:P

Edited by Team Ullium
For all you know the person who placed the TB in the cache could be on holiday and not have Internet access for days or weeks!

By waiting a couple of days you are giving them the chance to actually gain access to a computer, last year I went 23 days without a home PC, as that was how long it took the incompetent insurance engineer to repair it, in the work shop. During this period I was reliant on the use of Library PC's, as they are closed, Saturday afternoons, and Sundays, and as you have to book to use the PC's for a hour. If I'd not previously booked for a Monday, I could not get access until the Tuesday. Meaning that any TB'S picked up on Saturday or Sunday, were unable to be properly logged until Tuesday. If someone had grabbed any TB's out of my possession, without giving me the courtesy of waiting a couple of days, then yes I would have been "BL**dy" annoyed. Because at the end of the day, it would have just come down to a No's game! And not the friendly hobby, were consideration is shown to all, however thep play it!

Dave

Sorry chaps, not convinced! Anyone like to quote me something from the guidelines?!

More a case of good practice and ettiquette than an issue for guidelines.

If you find it inconvenient to wait a short while for the person who put the bug in the cache to be able to log it in there correctly, then don't take the bug in the first place.

The question of not taking a TB surely doesn't arise as how would one know it is not logged into a cache or event at the point of lifting it??

And as for the possible inconvenience of hanging on for a couple of days ... I wouldn't have thought that much of an inconvenience .... but on the other hand I wouldn't class grabbing a TB (if forced to do it this way) and logging it in and out of a location, much of an inconvenience either!

However, my own opinion is that the quicker a TB's real status is fixed the better for everyone all round ... not to mention the possible loss of the TB through being in a person's possession for an extended period. I certainly prefer to move them on as quick as possible :huh:

(edited to add:-)

I forgot to add that there are just too many reasons why a person may be forced to hang on to a TB for an extended period through no fault of their own ....so I would think the fewer the better (I picked one up at the weekend and it is so big I will have to find a cache with a container large enough to hold it...or a hidey hole where I can place it in a waterproof bag next to the container).

I guess what I am saying is ... yes I would hang on for a bit and try an email before grabbing a TB....but I wouldn't hang on for too long!

Edited by Team Ullium

Well put Bill, agree with what you say! I don't totaly disagree with waiting a short time (and have done occassionally in the past when it's been convenient) but I do debate the issue as not being a hard and fast rule. I believe a bit of tolerance whichever way it's played within the guidelines should be given!

Whilst we are on the subject I still have Gaudi as being in my possesion. If anyone else from the Beer even at the Mitre wants to grab them please feel free to do so, otherwise I will replace them in the event. Perhaps the cacher who has them in their possesion might like to grab them off me..........?

Eckington

Must be a nightmare having two GC.com accounts :D  :o  :P  :P

yeah bloody sock puppets :D :D

Shush :D:huh::o:o

That would be an excellent way of nicking the TB and blaming you Ecks  But have you looked at your stats lately? I grabbed Gaudi off you a couple of days ago. They are showing on my stats. now!

Thanx Ali, I must admit I did not check over the w/e

Mind you, they looked better on you 

Whay thank you :o

Eckington

Why are people so defensive about have TBs grabbed from them?
from pyoung1s

Thanks for that calm reply as I'm kind of guilty of having grabbed a couple from you - but I did let you make the geocoin get logged in.

In general I think its 'give & take' and 'common sense' - and depends on the circumstances.