Gpsr's On High Speed Trains

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this....but anyway

I am traveling to europe with a group this spring break, and will not be doing any geocaching :ph34r: but I wouild like to know some things.

1) are GPSr's allowed to be operated on the high speed trains? (eurostar-paris to lodon and elipsos-madrid to paris)

2) are GPS'r allowed to be operated on airplanes? (Delta)

3) Software? I own a Garmin Vista C, but I do not want to spend too much money, because I don't think I'll be back in europe for a long time. Shoud I get worldmap, or CS europe or MG europe? I was thinking WorldMap, but what's your opinion?

4) any advice on happy traveling in europe you would like to provide will be welcomed, I am based in Atlanta, GA, USA

thanks, and happy caching!

Bike Hike Cache

Sounds like a fun trip!

1 - Yes. I've never had any problems using my GPS on a train - other than sometimes its hard to get a good signal through the smoked glass of modern trains.

2 - This depends on the airline. Unless they specifically tell you not to, I suspect you'll be alright. I've never had a problem using my GPS on an airplane.

3 - Find someone with Mapsource who'd be willing to download the maps to your unit. I don't have CS Europe but I do have Worldmap and will tell you the detail is very coarse. I travel primarily to the UK & Germany and use Metrioguide UK/Germany there. The difference is profound.

4 - My advice is try and find some time for Geocaching!!

Cheers!

Coupar Angus

1) No problem with them being allowed on trains, but as mentioned you may have trouble with reception. My experience on the German Bundesbahn was that almost all the windows had a metallic coating that blocked the signals. On their high-speed trains they had a few special areas with uncoated glass that were specifically made for people to use their cellphones - the GPS would work there as well. (BTW, I've had no problems with reception on Amtrak in the US.)

2) Delta is one of the majority of airlines that is GPS-friendly, so use is allowed once above 10 kft (along with other electronics). You might be able to get permission at lower altitudes, but I'm pretty sure that would be against their normal rules.

3) Unless you *really* need the auto-routing, I'd be inclined to go with MetroGuide-Eur, especially if you can get access to a PC or laptop occasionally to reload maps. CitySelect would give you auto-routing but is *much* more expensive and would be harder to resell later due to the unlock code requirement (MG-Eur doesn't need unlocks). WorldMap would work but is very dated and at about the same level as basemaps - i.e. not much detail except main highways.

4) Have fun!

I used my GPS on several flights within the US and had no problems as far as the Flight crew. On one flight the Stewardess was concerned and took my GPS up to the cockpit. The F/O said it was not marked as complying with FCC limits for class B digital devices. I then provided the owner's manual that did say it was in compliance. The F/O then said it was OK and I could use it above 10,000 ft.

So my advice is make sure your unit is marked or you can provide the owners manual that list it as Class B compliant.

If they still say no then don't fight it.

68-ELDO

Traveling the Eurostar in Italy, I have routinely used my old eTrex. No problem with metallic coatings there, and train staff doesn't seem to care at all. :o

As for #4, relax and enjoy it! Please and thank you plus a few easily learned words in the local language will get you a long ways, use them frequently! And, don't hesitate to make a fool of yourself to get your point across, humor goes every bit as far to the same end. Have fun; we leave for Italy in a few days for two weeks in Venice, I simply cannot wait!. The Verona wineries are gonna have to put on another shift--- :huh::lol:

Tom

Edited by BilgeRat
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this....but anyway

I am traveling to europe with a group this spring break, and will not be doing any geocaching  :lol:  but I wouild like to know some things.

1) are GPSr's allowed to be operated on the high speed trains? (eurostar-paris to lodon and elipsos-madrid to paris)

2) are GPS'r allowed to be operated on airplanes? (Delta)

3) Software? I own a Garmin Vista C, but I do not want to spend too much money, because I don't think I'll be back in europe for a long time. Shoud I get worldmap, or CS europe or MG europe? I was thinking WorldMap, but what's your opinion?

My advice when using your GPSr on airliners is to have an external antenna with a window suction mount. Without it, you need to constantly hold the GPSr up to the window to get and maintain a lock. Your arm will get very tired on that transatlantic flight - trust me! Checking your geocaching member profile, I see you have a Vista C GPSr. That model does not have an external antenna jack. There is another type of antenna that you can use for that model - a re-radiating antenna. CLICK HERE to see one that is gaining popularity in our forums because it gets its power from batteries as opposed to plugging into a car's cigarette lighter jack like most others.

The re-radiating antenna should help boost the signals for better reception in areas with difficult reception (such as the train's windows as mentioned above).

Also, the barometric altimeter will cause false altitude readings due to the plane's pressurized cabin. It will only show as about 5,000 feet even if you're really at 40,000 feet!

WorldMap provides just the simplest of basemaps. If nothing else is available, then it is better than nothing. Since other maps ARE available, I think you'd enjoy your trip more if you had the more detailed maps in your GPSr!

...Just my 2¢

Edited by Neo_Geo
4) any advice on happy traveling in europe you would like to provide will be welcomed, I am based in Atlanta, GA, USA

Remember to say, clearly and politely: "Excuse me, I don't speak any Italian/French/etc, do you understand English ?". Whether the other person does or not, is less important, but you have started off by acknowledging that you need them rather more than they need you.

The single thing which ticks Europeans off most about Americans is the standard issue, "if it's Tuesday this must be Belgium" tourist, whining about how there's not enough ice in their drink and/or how they asked for Diet Coke and got regular and/or "is there any animal fat in this". Go with the flow and show people that Americans are just like everybody else...

...There is another type of antenna that you can use for that model - a re-radiating antenna. CLICK HERE to see one that is gaining popularity in our forums because it gets its power from batteries as opposed to plugging into a car's cigarette lighter jack like most others.

The re-radiating antenna should help boost the signals for better reception in areas with difficult reception (such as the train's windows as mentioned above).

Neo Geo, could you tell me more about these? I went to the website, and looked at the how it works page, but I am still kind of confused. It sounds to me like there is one part the recieves and brodcasts to another part. Is that right? Is there another page that might be easier to understand?

Thanks to all for responding!

Bike Hike Cache

In the diagram below, an external antenna receives the GPS signals from space and sends those signals through the cable to the re-radiator. The re-radiator transmits those signals as airwaves again, which your GPSr can receive. The re-radiator requires some power in order to transmit the signals. Most use the car's cigarette lighter to get power. The one in the link above uses batteries.

I would recommend getting the GART3X model, as the external antenna portion of it will fit the popular Garmin handheld models with antenna jacks. If you ever upgrade your GPSr and get a 60C, a 76C, a iQue or other popular handheld model with an external antenna jack, you can just hook up the external antenna directly to the unit and do away with the re-radiating part.

Oh, and you should get a window suction mount for it as well. CLICK HERE and scroll halfway down to see a picture of one.

a2f375e5-1dfd-4a51-88c1-5b37ec5dabe8.jpg

Edited by Neo_Geo

The PC-Mobile antenna has an amplifier powered by 3 AA batteries. This amplifier is the box in the middle. It powers the antenna, which picks up the GPS signals and sends them via cable to the amplifier, which then further amplifies them and sends them via the other cable to a loop in the end. This loop is held over the patch antenna with a rubber band or something similar, and provides the necessary signals. The diagram shown is the type often used in cars, and transmits a much more powerful signal, and doesn't require the antenna and GPS to be touching. The PC-Mobile reradiating antenna has magnets in the antenna, for attaching to the top of your car or other ferrous metallic surface. Keep it away from your PC hard drive, audio tapes, etc, but it won't harm flash memory like SD cards, memory sticks, etc, nor will it bother Palms or PPCs. It won't stick to glass, either. :huh: But you could rig up a suction cup from the bath section of WalMart to attach it to a window. The batteries last practically forever. I've left mine on for several days in the car, forgot to turn it off and didn't notice the blue LED shining at me, and the LED (indicates battery level via brightness) was still as bright as ever.

wow...thanks for the replies...I understand now! B)

anyway...looks like that would be a fun product, and quite useful, but I would have to agree that the airlines would not allow use of the reradiator because it is transmitting (just like they don't allow 2-way radios or cell phones in flight)

I might look into getting one in the future, but at the moment, even $50 is out of my budget :P thanks anyway!

Bike Hike Cache

Granted, the rig in the supplied diagram is probably NOT a good idea for an airliner, it sounds like the PC-Mobile antenna's signal strength is too weak to cause any interference up front. If the GPSr has to be making contact with the transmitting loop to pick up a signal, then the signal probably ain't gonna make it up to the cockpit.

Aside from the airliner interference issue, bikehikecache still might want to consider the contraption for use on the trains.

Edited by Neo_Geo