T-mobile Sidekick

ChileHead

Has anybody used the Sidekick phone offered by T-Mobile (and others) to access the geocaching.com web site? Any problem with viewing the pages on the phone, or other comments on whether it's worth it?

I could do the PDA route, but if I'm traveling I may not plan ahead of time to get a pocket query done for the area I'm going to. It would be nice to be able to bring up a list of caches in the area I'm in (and log my finds remotely too!)

I know of at least 5 cachers in our local area that use the sidekick while geocaching (to pull up cache pages, read logs, log their finds, grab and drop travelbugs). The sidekick rocks, what can I say. The biggest drawback of the sidekick is that the browser doesn't support javascript. Since geocaching.com uses a lot of javascript, it can be annoying, but usually there are work arounds. Danger is eventually supposed to release a version of the sidekick browser that supports javascript.

--Marky

I know of at least 5 cachers in our local area that use the sidekick while geocaching (to pull up cache pages, read logs, log their finds, grab and drop travelbugs). The sidekick rocks, what can I say. The biggest drawback of the sidekick is that the browser doesn't support javascript. Since geocaching.com uses a lot of javascript, it can be annoying, but usually there are work arounds. Danger is eventually supposed to release a version of the sidekick browser that supports javascript.

--Marky

I find mine invaluable for geocaching too. It's wonderful for those hard multi questions....like the melting point of platinum, and so on. Also good for reading logs when having trouble at a cache. It's even good for the forums (am on it now).

My only problem with it is that due to the state of the t-mobile network I can't depend on having a connection. So I still usually carry paper for backup. But it's still worth it.

I have the Sidekick II, and have no problems at all accessing, viewing or logging the site using the standard geocaching.com front end.

I don't use the WAP side, since accessing the site is reasonably fast.

The only time I don't log my find from the cache itself is if I am in a group, or in a cache-dense area. Then I just make a quick note on the PDA and log from home.