Opinions Wanted . . .

Miragee

I'm new to this game and my first caches were out in the rural area near where I live. I found ammo cans in "artificial piles of rocks" at the end of short and long hikes and thought this was really GREAT fun. ;)

Then, on some trips into town, I tried to find some micros and couldn't find them. B)

Yesterday I tried to find two I couldn't find the other day. I located one because I found out the container and location had changed since my first search. However, I couldn't find the other one. In fact, I couldn't find three of the six I looked for yesterday.

When do you guys give up? When the previous logs say, "Easy one. Thanks for the quick 'cache and dash'" and you spent more than half an hour looking, do you email the cache owner after you get home to confirm it is still there?

Do you go back and give it another try the next time you are in the area?

Do you wait till someone else logs a subsequent find?

Do you just skip it forever and try new ones?

I'm feeling very discouraged today. B)

Sorry you are discouraged - but don't give up. There are plenty of great caches out there which you haven't searched for yet. You've already found a bunch of caches, maybe you are just having a bit of a bad spell.

Do you go back and give it another try the next time you are in the area?

Usually, but it depends on the cache. Was it in a place that I really want to spend time in again?

Do you wait till someone else logs a subsequent find?

Sometimes, if I haven't had any luck, but really don't want the cache to beat me.

Do you just skip it forever and try new ones?

Only if there was something about the cache location that just doesn't appeal to me.

By the way, you might want to spend a bit of time in this topic - might make you feel better. :ph34r:

edit: too many extra spaces

Edited by cache_test_dummies

How do you factor in previous logs that say the coordinates "were off by 30 (or 40) feet?" when you are looking for a micro out in a vegetation-covered field?

Would you avoid even trying for that cache?

On one yesterday it was stated in a log that the coordinates were off by 40 feet. Someone put different coordinates in their log and I tried those. They got me closer to something that related to the clue . . . but I still couldn't find it.

If theres a cache out there, I will always at least attempt it. Unless Im making a FTF attempt, I will usually scan the previous logs to read the comments of those that preceded me. If all else fails, Ive been know to send an email to the owner asking for an additional clue.

How do you factor in previous logs that say the coordinates "were off by 30 (or 40) feet?" when you are looking for a micro out in a vegetation-covered field?

I don't generally take those sort of 'coordinates were off by ....' reports very seriously unless something similar is appearing in several logs.

Edit: wording

I look til I get discouraged. It's supposed to be fun. When it's a chore, or it's making me tense and hostile, it's time to move on and try another. Occassionaly, I take a DNF day, and seek again caches that I didn't find. If it was summer, I'll check it in winter, with no canopy. If it was winter, I'll try again with no snow. Sometimes, just a new day with fresh eyes is all it takes, but whatever the reason, I find them eventually. Mostly. Unless I don't.

Sometimes, on the third try I'll ask for a hint. Often, when I meet other cachers on the trail or at a meet'n'greet, the conversation goes to DNF's, and you can learn something that might help.

:ph34r: Welcome to geocaching! Yes, you are going to have DNF logs (that is if you log them). I had one last weekend that I searched with two other people for 45 minutes (total time spend 2.5 hours). I went back the next afternoon with one of them and we searched for another 30 mintutes (additional 1 hour). I read the previous logs and people were saying "easy find", "went straight to it", and the kicker "my six year old found this one as soon as we walked into the area"...those make you feel like an idiot. I reread the logs and found a spoiler that told me where it is hidden...I am back this weekend to find that little booger. I have been back three, four and maybe five times (without a spoiler) to FIND a cache because it becomes a mission (to me) to find it. Yes, I have gone to the owner at times (or other cachers) and asked for clues to help point me in the right direction. Only because I had exhausted my caching know-how in trying to find it. I feel like these make me a better cacher for the next hunt...although sometimes I feel like a dumb cacher when I can't find another one (comment was not a shot at anyone else but me so don't take it personal). You have to determine when enough is enough for that current hunt and any other hunts for it. Then live with your decision to quit and move on to the next one....or go back again until you find it. I also get satisfaction at finally finding it and logging a :huh: .

Red Bear inSpokane WA

I look til I get discouraged.

That'd be me, too. I am a bit tenacious, though.

I've been known to give a brief look and say forget it if I didn't like the cache. Heck, I'll even drive right past a lame micro. I've also been known to hunt in excess of 2 hours before giving up--and that was on one that already had several DNFs! It all depends on the area and how much fun I'm having.

I'll only go back if I feel like it.

I look until I'm fairly well convinced I can't find it. I look first with the written cache page, then I decipher the clue (by hand, because I'm lazy and don't want to rely on the PDA in the field).

Then I come back with a friend. If we both can't find it (or if I had a friend with me the first time), I log a DNF. This actually led to an "easy micro" being replaced because-- aha!-- it had, in fact, gotten lost between the previous cacher and me.

If I look and I think I know where it is but for some reason cannot get to it, I email the owner and say "I think it is HERE-- am I right?" If they come back saying no, then.... well that hasn't happened yet. But I'd probably go back and if they gave me a further clue, I'd use it, or I'd do a second search and, still not finding, log a DNF.

Any time I have to return to a cache site, I try and remember if the site needed CITO on the first visit, so I can remember to bring a bag. CITO'ing sometimes helps me find caches, as you clear out an area, you know you've searched it thoroughly.

. . . Any time I have to return to a cache site, I try and remember if the site needed CITO on the first visit, so I can remember to bring a bag. CITO'ing sometimes helps me find caches, as you clear out an area, you know you've searched it thoroughly.

That is a good idea. One of my DNFs yesterday does have quite a bit of trash (probably further down the hill than where it is . . . if it is still there). This was mentioned by one of the first people to find it.

If I return to that one, at least collecting the trash will give me a sense of accomplishment, even if I don't find the "easy 'cache and dash.'" :ph34r:

But, doesn't it bug you? I find it to be very hard to walk away . . .

It dose bug me, but it bugs me more when I am searching for a cache that is not there. The worst is when someone hides a micro cache in the woods in such a skillful way that you can be within inches of it and not find it. Often the posted difficulty on these caches is only 1 to 3 stars. Those sort of caches I do not find to be fun.

Edited by Fergus

I know now to check out the cache page before heading out.

Can't depend on month old PDA pages, I learned the hard way.

So now giving up is quicker than it was at first, because I'm thinking I still missed something on the catch page, that might have been posted after I left the house to go find the cache..

I think it's like a cache 22!

1signature2zl.jpg

But, doesn't it bug you? I find it to be very hard to walk away . . .

There was one cache that I really wanted to get but couldn't find. After three visits, (including one with a second set of eyeballs), hints from the owner and others, and a watch on the cache (others continued to find it when I couldn't, although there were other DNF's going on at the same time), I finally decided to let it go for a while.

A couple of months later, I went back and walked right up to it. Right in a spot where I had looked a number of times (I am convinced that somebody was periodically pulling the cache and then putting it back later, probably somebody in one of the nearby buildings, but that's another story).

I think sometimes you need to give it time. I just went out and found others during that time. Temporarily walking away from this one wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, as long as I had other caches to distract me.

It dose bug me, but it bugs me more when I am searching for a cache that is not there. The worst is when someone hides a micro cache in the woods in such a skillful way that you can be within inches of it and not find it. Often the posted difficulty on these caches is only 1 to 3 stars. Those sort of caches I do not find to be fun.

One of the ones I've looked for is apparently like that. The other people have commented on "clever hide," "how do you make that," "very nice," etc.

When the stinging nettles are two-feet high and the grass is almost growing in front of my eyes because of all the rain, I don't find it to be very fun to look for something that is hidden "that cleverly." :ph34r:

Edited by idiosyncratic
I give up when it stops being fun.

For me "fun" is the key..... If I give up I will then put it on my watch list and see if anyone else finds it. If it is in an interesting area or somewhere that I am already travelling through I'll give it another try. I've been known to make 5 or more trips into an area if the cache is particularly interesting. I almost always do a DNF log just in case it is really gone. Also, I think twice before going for a cache that has a DNF as it's most recent entry. If the coordinates are expressed as being off a bit I extend my search area by a few meters. Coordinates don't mean much to me anyhow since I use a map instead of a GPS.

1. It depends on how cold it is out determines how long I will search.

2. Depends on how secluded the spot is.

I'll spend more time looking if I feel like I'm in the woods by myself. If it's a high traffic area I don't want to draw attention to myself.

I've been known to search for 30-45 minutes. I don't mind if I'm out in the woods, I consider searching around just getting that much more exercise in. :ph34r:

For me it depends on the cache and weather, If it's a micro in and area that would have supported a large cache I will look for a little while trying not to damaged the foliage.

If it's a hot day and I have been out for a while, when the heats gets to me I get very frustrated, then I will just go to a movie.

If it is a cache that took some time to get to Hiking or driving I will spend more time looking.

If I am trying for a FTF I will spend a lot more time on it.

In the words of Jim Valvano (former NCSU Basketball coach): "Never give up, don't ever give up." That said, I may decide to stop looking today, because it is no longer fun; but I will return with a vengence the next time I'm in the area. I have no problem posting DNF logs, but consider them a reminder that I have unfinished business out there. :ph34r: Some caches have taken four or five visits to find. Fortunately most have not.

It really depends.

If nobody has found it in a while I'll look a bit longer.

If I'm not having fun looking anymore, I'll call it a skunk and move on.

If it's a personal bloody challenge, then I'm not quitting come hell or highwater.

If it's a micro in a rock pile, I'll turn over a token rock or two and leave.

If I've invested a long hike to get to the area I'll look a long, long time.

If I don't have much of a time investment then I'm much more likely to look for a short time.

Edited by Renegade Knight
Yes, you are going to have DNF logs (that is if you log them). I had one last weekend that I searched with two other people for 45 minutes (total time spend 2.5 hours). I went back the next afternoon with one of them and we searched for another 30 mintutes (additional 1 hour). I read the previous logs and people were saying "easy find", "went straight to it", and the kicker "my six year old found this one as soon as we walked into the area"...those make you feel like an idiot.

I agree with this completly. I have just found the first WP of a 3 stage multi after 6 trys over 2 weeks totaling nearly 5 hours of looking, and it was RIGHT THERE! Its even worse when everyone else says the rest of the WPs are harder. Some days it is harder then others and some of us can't let things go as well as others can. :ph34r: Keep trying and don't be afraid to ask for help if you want it, always worked for me.

AndrewRJ

I hunt with a buddy most times . . . between us we have 1000 finds. There are several caches that absolute newbies have walked up to that we have spent hours to hunt unsuccessfully . . . at a time. Sometimes, we have found that the more experience one has, the more one can be guilty of tunnel vision as to what one looks for in a hide and it can stifle you where the hide is creative (different).

Having said that . . . we never give up - we continue to go back until we have victory or confirm it is missing. It's all part of the game, but it helps to move on for some success (encouragement) before coming back to a tough one. YES, we do use the 'call a friend' option as the cache owner can be called - most people want their caches found, even if they first want to challenge the seeker.

One of the ones I've looked for is apparently like that. The other people have commented on "clever hide," "how do you make that," "very nice," etc.

When the stinging nettles are two-feet high and the grass is almost growing in front of my eyes because of all the rain, I don't find it to be very fun to look for something that is hidden "that cleverly." :ph34r:

If you're talking about a certain Rancho San Diego hide, it took me *5* tries to get that one. It was, indeed, a bugger. But that just makes the :huh: all the sweeter.

I had one cache that took me 3 or 4 tries in the afternoon or early evening on my way home and I couldn't find it till it had fallen off its perch into the snow . I had another that I went looking for and on the second try couldn't find the second piece, later found out it went missing along with the final . You will always come across these hard to find regardless so just try try again till you don't feel like looking or team up with someone (cacher or noncacher) to have another set of eyes .

When the stinging nettles are two-feet high and the grass is almost growing in front of my eyes because of all the rain, I don't find it to be very fun to look for something that is hidden "that cleverly." :lol:

If you're talking about a certain Rancho San Diego hide, it took me *5* tries to get that one. It was, indeed, a bugger. But that just makes the :o all the sweeter.

That is exactly the one I have gotten frustrated with and I don't think I have as much persistence as you exhibited. I think the people who placed that one, and two others I cannot find, are just too good at this game for me. :huh:

I found two today and for both of them, the coordinates were right on. That sure helps. :o

If it is a local cache we'll look until it is not fun, or have to go to work, or wash my hair. We post a DNF if we gave it a real try, as we appreciate the DNFs posted that help us monitor our own caches. Vacations are another story. We use (gasp!) paper printouts without comments that may be a month or more old. Some caches are gone by then. I looked for one in Washington that was near our camp (.13 mile) and was frustrated by the clues and comments that told me I was standing right next to a 1 star cache. Got home to read that the owner had removed it for cleaning during that weekend.

Just move on!

Short answer NEVER!!!

Long answer, on the first try it depends on several factors. Plus a DNF gets logged. On the second try it also depends on several factors. Plus a second DNF gets logged. Hey we're not proud :lol: . We will only ask for a hint when we feel a third trip would be wasted or we've searched for a combined 2 hours. DNF's and repeated drives to an area mean nothing to us, just another fun challenge an a way to spend quality time together. We can't understand the logs where someone writes found it after 3,4, or even 5 tries and that is thier only log! DNF's can be as enjoyable to read as a found it note.

I DNF 1 out of our 113 caches. There have been times that I was totaly ready to give up (usually about 30-45 minutes into a micro search). But whenever I try to quit I always have to take that one last look. That last look generally leads to another 30 minutes of searching. Two weekends ago, searching for a bison tube in a rock ledge that hadn't been found for 6 months! I gave up, saw some other geocachers come to try and decided to stay and search further. 30 mins later we were still searching to no avail. I gave up again, went to get my coat, but I felt I needed to check in one last place.. and found it. We end up finding things quite often after we've already quit :lol:

I have walked away from 3 caches but have come back another day to find 2 of them. One still eludes us, but we were on a schedule and couldn't look further.

Never leave a cache behind! (Except when you have a prior engagment :huh: )

"If at first you don’t succeed, try again. Then give up. There’s no point making a dadgum fool of yourself." –WC Fields

That would just about cover my philosophy. In fact I'm not a very good on-site seeker at all. I've solved the puzzle (we have a lot of multis and mystery caches here in Europe, far more than in North America, so just getting to the cache site can be a good challenge), I'm here on the site, now I want to sign the log book please.

Fortunately my son is a great seeker. He really does "think different". I used to take him along to drag him away from the TV, but now he's a key member of the team :lol:

One other thing: please always, always log your DNFs. I placed a micro which got lost (it was in a hollow tree trunk and fell down through the soft leaf cover in the rain) before anyone found it. All I noticed was that six accounts were watching it, which is a lot for round here, but nobody had logged a DNF. Finally someone mailed me to say they'd been twice and not found it. I went along, saw it was gone, and replaced it with a larger cache. And then the finds rolled in... there is no "shame" in a DNF !!

some times when you walk away, you find it the next day in like 5 sec.  I don't know way that is.

That sounds like a cache I found a few days ago, I see it listed in the morning less than a mile from my house so I take off BC. I see the cache is at a school and a sign that reads only students were allowed in the are durring school hours. One of the first things I did was to drop my Pocket PC and lose the memory card :o . Not wanting to be quetioned about being on school grounds I leave to do some other caches.

I came back later in the day and find it in a few seconds in a spot that I thought waws to obvious. :lol:

I get home and find out the school was closed for Ski Week so it didn't have to rush :huh:

Edited by JohnnyVegas
Wouldn't that be cheating? :D

Well, what constitutes 'cheating' in this situation is completely up to the individual.

I try not to use hints of any kind, but if I get stuck and really want to find a cache, I'll use whatever I can get, including cache page hints, or hints from the cache owner, or posted pictures, or spoilers in the logs. It's all still fun to me, and I don't think I'm cheating.

For others, accepting outside help of any kind would diminish the purity of the find, and there's nothing wrong with that, either.

It's up to you. In this particular case, maybe you could accept help on one of these three, and then see if you can apply what you've learned to find the others without additional help.

One last thought: there's nobody looking over your shoulder, nobody who can legitimately criticize your (non-destructive) techniques for finding the cache. There are no 'secret police' making sure you are finding by the rules. Just do what you are comfortable doing, and have fun.

Edit: added a last thought, and a few other words.

I stop at the point that there is no fun factor possibility left.

Yep. And it seems to vary from cache to cache. I have a cache I've been having trouble with that others seem to almost walk right up to. After I logged my first DNF, the owner e-mailed me asking if I wanted a hint. I told him "not yet". Well, after several more DNF's the "fun factor" was disappearing, so I sent an e-mail stating I'd take that hint if he was still willing to give it. :rolleyes:

A lot of "how long I'll look on a given attempt" is based on cache location. "muggle filled area" not very long. Cache out in the middle of a forest? I'll give it a good bit more time before moving along.

I stop at the point that there is no fun factor possibility left.

Yep. . . . A lot of "how long I'll look on a given attempt" is based on cache location. "muggle filled area" not very long. Cache out in the middle of a forest? I'll give it a good bit more time before moving along.

Stated very well, IV_Warrior. That is what I've found after a few more days out looking. I've decided I don't care to look in "muggle-filled" areas. After all, it isn't about the "numbers," right? :rolleyes:

If I'm out in the back-country in fresh air with no one else around, I think I'll look a really long time, although the three I looked for yesterday had nearly perfect coordinates and I found them easily . . . once I hiked to them. ;)

If I'm in an urban area, I'm not going to look around very long, if at all, depending on the location.

But, then that's just me . . . <_<