Gps Becomes A Cell Phone

One time, when my wife and I were out caching, we spotted a couple who we suspected of being cachers as well.  What seemed to me to be a “dead givaway” was when the female part of the other couple held an object that was very obviously a GPS up and started talking into it as if it was a cell phone.  I suppose this ruse might be useful for fooling muggles who are sufficiently ignorant as to not be able to tell the difference; but to me, and my wife, it was very clearly obvious that the “cell phone” was a GPS.

One time, when my wife and I were out caching, we spotted a couple who we suspected of being cachers as well.  What seemed to me to be a “dead givaway” was when the female part of the other couple held an object that was very obviously a GPS up and started talking into it as if it was a cell phone.  I suppose this ruse might be useful for fooling muggles who are sufficiently ignorant as to not be able to tell the difference; but to me, and my wife, it was very clearly obvious that the “cell phone” was a GPS.

So true..... I like catching cachers doing this.... click here for a amusing log entry.

Alan

Slightly off topic but when in a parking lot looking for a micro try this. Pull up to the site and open the hood like you are having car trouble. This will block people from seeing what you are doing. Grab it, sign it. Fiddle around the engine compartment for a moment (CAREFUL OF THE FAN! :lol: ). Shake head, shrug shoulders, close the hood and off you go. Works extremely well when micros are at an auto parts store...

When I was in London England last summer I thought I might look a bit like a dork walking around with a GPS in my hand looking for the nearest tube station (this works like a champ BTW). Then it dawned on me that Brits are text-message crazy and walk around like zombies pressing buttons on their phones.

Edited by Couparangus
When I was in London England last summer I thought I might look a bit like a dork walking around with a GPS in my hand looking for the nearest tube station (this works like a champ BTW). Then it dawned on me that Brits are text-message crazy and walk around like zombies pressing buttons on their phones.

Are you sure they weren't geocachers dodging muggles? :rolleyes:

It'd be a bit embarrassing, if your real mobile phone rang just when you're pretending to speak in your GPSr. B)

...uh....hold on, my other phone is ringing... :ph34r:

Not so funny. I saw a guy the other month talking on two cell phones at the same time - one in each ear!

I've never pretended my GPSr is cell phone, but I talk into it all the time (not AT it, that's normal cacher behavior) - but then it's a Rino so what else do you expect.

We used the GPSr as a digital camera recently. The cache was right out in the open and muggles were about, but there are always silly people taking pictures of themselves with the odd tree, sign, statue, etc. So, one of us "posed" while the other "took the picture." After we signed the log we really did take pictures as we put the log back!!

My approach is a bit different. If muggles are around, I just hold the old GPS up and walk around like I'm doing something important. Most people figure you are some kind of techno geek doing some incomprehensible field work. Never had a problem using this method.

I've done the GPSr as a cell phone trick. We were at a rest stop and I got out "talking" to my gps like I was getting out of the car to get better reception.

I've also walked around with my digital camera taking pictures while holding the GPSr behind it trying o find the cache. And I've pretended my GPSr was a camera on more than one ocasion.

But my best trick now for busy areas is my Foretrex gps. It is worn on the wrist, and looks like a really big watch. So In a busy area, I'll look at my "watch" act impatient like I'm waiting for someone, and then pace back and forth a bit. Get another reading from my "watch" and continue to look impatient. If I'm in one spot too long, I might start mumbling something about I wish they would hurry up, and I don't have all day...stuff like that.

It's a lot of fun trying to be sneaky.

Of course there is a lot to be said for not being sneaky at all. If you look official, and act official (having a clipboard helps) people will leave you alone.

Once, after a geocaching picnic, we were out searching for a newly-placed cache nearby. There were a couple of people sitting on a bench ahead of us on the trail -- a bench that seemed to be at the first waypoint's coordinates. They looked kinda familiar... and then they started talking on their GPSr as we approached. We were not fooled :lol: .