Nepa Cachers Association?

Voncachstein

I was wondering if there is a cachers association in Pennsylvania, or more specifically, the top right quadrant of it? Benefits could include nominating and electing caches that are especially good to special awards, so that better caches get more logs. Also cachers would probably be willing to travel more if they know a good cache, or good cache area is out there. Another thing would be event caches would be easier to plan and organize. Don't have time to do research so i was just wondering if any are out there, and if not, what the first step to helping create one would be?

Wow! That's plenty in Northern New Jersey we have clans rather than official organizations:

S.N.A.T - Crevice Lovers!

H.A.R.T - Heathen, Anarchists Radical, Talismatic - a very sneaky bunch

Skully & Mulder et al. and Snake and a Dog and a Hermit crab - more like a zoo than an actual geocaching entity. (according to their logs, they only meet in Autumn)

FLOOOOOOPY - like a search engine for geocaching

T.R.L. - stay away from this organization they have a tendency to run into LARGE wild animals

TBB / BM2 - bicker with eachother more than caches...

R.E.A.L Q.U.O.D - nobody knows the REAL Quoddy, but there are certainly fakes running about - be careful

K.E.N.D.E.R. - Handle with care

J.O.I.S.E.Y. - This is NOT actually a NJ entity it hails from out of state in Vermont

Henning25 - This is really a NASCAR raceteam

Kber - this is a social drinking club more than a cachers meet

Ekitt10 - nuf said, name says it all

AVRO - A Very Royal Organization - :cry:

Edit: Luv you guys! :huh::ph34r::cry:

Edited by avroair
Wow! That's plenty in Northern New Jersey we have clans rather than official organizations:

S.N.A.T - Crevice Lovers!

H.A.R.T - Heathen, Anarchists Radical, Talismatic - a very sneaky bunch

Skully & Mulder et al. and Snake and a Dog and a Hermit crab - more like a zoo than an actual geocaching entity. (according to their logs, they only meet in Autumn)

FLOOOOOOPY - like a search engine for geocaching

T.R.L. - stay away from this organization they have a tendency to run into LARGE wild animals

TBB / BM2 - bicker with eachother more than caches...

R.E.A.L Q.U.O.D - nobody knows the REAL Quoddy, but there are certainly fakes running about - be careful

K.E.N.D.E.R. - Handle with care

J.O.I.S.E.Y. - This is NOT actually a NJ entity it hails from out of state in Vermont

Henning25 - This is really a NASCAR raceteam

Kber - this is a social drinking club more than a cachers meet

Ekitt10 - nuf said, name says it all

AVRO - A Very Royal Organization - :D

Edit: Luv you guys! :D:D:o

Beware of the AVRO people...

They have been frisked by the police more than Michael Jackson.

There are credible rumors the INS is investigating the organization.

The entire membership will be traveling to England for the upcoming Charles/Camilla wedding. Hmmmmm.....

Judging by the statistics, the entire organization may soon be classified as 'Locationless' or 'Virtual'.

Are you talking about an organized group or a website?

Personally, while I don't think either are completely necessary both would be nice. However, I don't think it is as easy as that -- one person cannot start a group; a lot of people need to, that means outside your ring of friends in high school.

Second of all, if an organization is going to be started, I would rather see some one who has been caching longer than a couple of months start it and someone that has a little bit more "maturity" (not a slam, but all of us kids, like it or not are not "mature" and "capable" as we think we are) and can make decisions better. Perhaps Team WBFD can lead it, as I see they are a member. Or other caching super-heroes of our area, Rich and Zhanna. Someone trying to direct geocaching and encourage it should be familiar with both the sport and the history of it. You, me, Saxorx, Nashbash, and gcas do not have that longevity nor the capability that is capable of being a qualified leader in such an endeavor.

I'm just saying don't rush into it without any support and don't necessarily assume everyone wants a 17-year old kid as president of a club that has a majority of adults and kids.

It's a good idea but slow down and let people tell you what they think instead of doing what you think.

And I nominate Rich and Zhanna for something great.

- JD

Clicked through to the site, but stopped reading after seeing "Geoaching" in the first line.

Geoaching is what my old bones do after I've been geocaching. I don't think I need a website dedicated to geoaching. I'm already quite proficient at it.

7 pages and one typo....thanks for noticing. Anyway on to what Eaglespirit said. I started the website in hopes to get people in the area to join. I'm not taking any responsibility for anything except the website. My goal was not to really have any leaders, but all members with equal votes and opinions in "matters?" Anyway, if there is going to be some kind of leader(s), there are a few people in the area with over 250 and Rich and Zhanna, I concuRR, would be grrrreat leaders.

(Someone had to get the ball rolling, why not me?)

Clicked through to the site, but stopped reading after seeing "Geoaching" in the first line.

Geoaching is what my old bones do after I've been geocaching.  I don't think I need a website dedicated to geoaching.  I'm already quite proficient at it.

7 pages and one typo....thanks for noticing. Anyway on to what Eaglespirit said. I started the website in hopes to get people in the area to join. I'm not taking any responsibility for anything except the website. My goal was not to really have any leaders, but all members with equal votes and opinions in "matters?" Anyway, if there is going to be some kind of leader(s), there are a few people in the area with over 250 and Rich and Zhanna, I concuRR, would be grrrreat leaders.

(Someone had to get the ball rolling, why not me?)

You can check out SEPAG if you want ideas on a geocache regional website. Gargoyle! is the founder of the site, he's done a great job at designing it!

-Pol

This sounds like a good idea to me, too. As a relative noob to GC, I have met only a few fellow cachers from the area. An event cache this Spring is an awesome idea (thanks MJ). Frances Slocum has lots of caches and nice picnic areas, or Moon Lake... Anyway, maybe I'll get off my butt and see about a CITO or picnic event in the next few months...

I say go for it one person can start a group. In the case of SEPAG it was two people who wanted to find other Geocachers in their immediate area. It quickly became a regional group simply because more people from other areas stared joining.

Plan a NEPAG event to garner more attention.

You managed to sum it up quite nicely, "somone had to start the ball rolling, why not me."

Anyway, maybe I'll get off my butt and see about a CITO or picnic event in the next few months...

We had a good turnout for this CITO last year at Moon Lake. Trash and Trout In PA 2004 There hasn't been any discussion yet of another but I can tell you the park really needed help and the park manager was very happy to have us there.

Thanks, IMLost!

Actually, Moon Lake park was one of the places I was considering. I went caching there this winter and learned about the CITO there in 2004. I figured once I get my travel schedule for work I would contact the organizers to see if another one was in the works already, or what... I'm sure Frances Slocum could use some help, too... Anyway, April may end up not being a good month for me, but I still want to do something this Spring/early Summer.... Any suggestions from local cachers who have been at this longer than I are welcome, of course!

Thanks to Polgara for the nice words concerning the SEPAG website. And Megellan is correct also... it was two of us who founded SEPAG... Docdesi and myself. We started out as a Yahoo Group and soon had a pretty bad proboard forum that always went down... then Mocadeki (from the Lancaster area) gave us some webspace and showed me what a portal was. The rest was history. I don't think the SEPAG site is perfect by any means but its a good start.

I took a look at Voncachstein's NEPAGA website and I think its great. I think an addition of a forum would be helpful as it helps to keep interest in the group if people can post in a forum everyday.

Good Luck in getting the NorthEast website up... and remember... SEPAG will be happy to join a statewide group as long as all the other regionals are also going to join. We would also plan to continue using the SEPAG website also.