Good Start Gps Unit

harrisale

The one I and many many others started out with is the Garmin etrex yellow. They start right at 100 bucks and is a great little unit. Garmin has the 'geko' line out now too which are very simple and compact, but I have not personal expierence with the geko. I'm sure others will chime in.

And what are some good brand names?

Garmin, Lowrance, and Magellan are all good reliable brands.

The only units I'd avoid are those that lack any kind of computer interface - that includes the Garmin Geko101, the Lowrance Go & Go2, and the Magellan eXplorist 100/200/300. Even those will all work ok for geocaching but I expect you'll find it much more enjoyable to be able to download waypoints and there are many other GPS applications that require connection to a computer.

Specific models are the basic eTrex and older Magellan 330s or basic Meridians at under $100, and at a little higher price, the eTrex Legend, Magellan SporTrackMap, and Lowrance iFinder - all around $130-150.

The Magellan 330 in no longer made, check tigerGPS.com, they have good prices and they have had the Magellan Sport track map on clearance for $169.99 and Magellan has a rebate for and extrs $30.00, at $139.99 tis is a very good price for a mapping GPS, they also have the garmin e-trex legand for about $142.00. Even If you don't think you will ever want to load a detailed map into your GPS both of these will include the Data cable for loading waypoints into your GPS.

STAY AWAY FROM COBRA! The term "Mickey Mouse" implies that there is some level of functionality to a device. Cobras are not even "Mickey Mouse".

About a year ago I was given a Cobra 500 as a gift. While figuring out how to use it I discovered Geocaching! As of today I have found 177 caches with a half dozen or so FTF's. Not bad for a casual cacher who only does a few in the early mornings of the weekends before I start my day. So what's the moral of this story? Well, either;

#1. The Cobras are not really as bad as people like to make them out to be, or;

#2. Virtually any gps will work just fine for this game.

Take your pick :huh:

Garmin Yellow Etrex is a good unit, but doesn't come with a data cable. For a tiny bit more, I would suggest a Garmin Legend. It has mapping capability, comes with a data cable, and is only a few dollars more than the cost of the Yellow plus a cable.

Edit: Good GPS reviews and "what should I buy?" can be found at gpsinformation.net

Edited by Sputnik 57
Garmin Yellow Etrex is a good unit, but doesn't come with a data cable. For a tiny bit more, I would suggest a Garmin Legend. It has mapping capability, comes with a data cable, and is only a few dollars more than the cost of the Yellow plus a cable.

Edit: Good GPS reviews and "what should I buy?" can be found at gpsinformation.net

I was thinking the same thing.

The Legend is a much better unit for only a little bit more money.

If you're on a very tight budget, the Garmin Geko 101 is under $50. As someone here mentioned, it can't hook up to your computer so is only suitable for the most casual geocachers. If you get semi into the sport, you will outgrow it quickly.

The Garmin Legend is a good choice. At $130 is a mapping GPS that is compact, lightweight and easy to use.