Magellan Meridian Question

AngelaSeely

I'd recommend it as a good deal and an excellent unit for geocaching. But you should be aware of a couple items. One is that this basic Meridian model sometimes has problems with losing recently entered data if it shuts down abnormally, such as from a low battery. So after loading waypoint or other data in the unit you should do an intentional power down and then verify that the data is still there. The second is that Magellan has discontinued this model and doesn't support their latest map software (such as DirectRoute) on its firmware.

Of those two, I would buy the Magellan meridian while the autorouting is nice you may not need it. If you are going to be in the back country you will want to run topo software which does not autoroute anyway. Magellan Topo software also includes street names so with topo software you would not need the street and destinations software. Unless you want the S&D pois. $50.00 is a good deal.

Sure the Rino has a two way radio but the range is very limited. WHich Rino is it, I may be one that will not support a map display.

For $50 dollars the meridian is a pretty good deal if your willing to accept you can't use autorouting, and have the 2mb basemap.

A questions about the Rino's range, what is the range of the units with GMRS? I see Garmin got a waiver from the FCC to send it's position on those channels (think you can download the firmware for older models to do this).

Wyatt W.