Video Games - X-box, Ect.

dmnrec

It could work as an educational game...

For example, it could be geocaching plus "collecting" various species of flowers, trees, animals. As you "hike in" to the geocache, you would be on the lookout for new bird calls, animal sightings, etc. And there would be some kind of logbook screen where you could review the things that you've found and the ones that you havn't.

The cache at the end of the hike would give you a destination (much like it does in real life) so that you wouldn't just be wandering around aimlessly in some dorky hiking game.

More advanced caches could use clues/codes based on animals/plants/etc that you've learned about during the other areas.

Modern 3d engines could make this look pretty dang cool!

Edited by Mr. Snazz

geocaching - the sport where you are the search engine. the world is the game board. finding out about cool new places. trading some worthless stuff for some other worthless stuff and loving it. exploring. being outside.

dont get me wrong, i like playing videogames sometimes, but doesnt a geocaching videogame kind of defy the whole purpose of geocaching?

I agree. Let's step away from the video games.

I dunno, we have fishing and hunting video games, every popular sport has a videogame or a series of games. Why not a geocaching game?

Only thing I can see against it is that it would probably be really boring. Throw in a few monsters|nazis|aliens|demons and a shotgun though and that would be pretty cool.

There is a version of a 3D game/simulation cache on the net.  Don't know the link, someone with better Markwell skills than me would have to look it up.  But it's out there.

The cache is here (it also exists physically, if you care to visit Sweden) and the simulator is here.

Amazingly, someone logged a DNF on it a few days ago !

And the best part about the sim is you can go threogh swamps and streams without having to stop and put on new pants :rolleyes: