North Yorkshire

hi all

we have just been talking about having a day out in N. Yorks some time over the easter bank holidays/school hols time

can anyone give me a list of 8-10 caches that we could possibly do in a day out, something that 2 adults and 2 kids and of course jess would enjoy, we would probably get down there between 10-11am and if the kids dont have to be at school the next day we will stay until it is dark ...........so maybe about 8-9 hours dont laugh i know most of you will do at least 20 caches in that time

there will just be us a gps a few sarnies and a flask of coffee, come on we are newbies lol.........so nothing too hard

and if anybody fancied a walk out for an hour or so (even if you have done these caches before) we would be pleased to have some company........at least you will get a laugh at us going the wrong way as usual!!

any help would be appreciated

us 4 and jess

mandy

find the cache hop in the car and drive to the next one,,,,,,,,,,,,we dont mind walking from parking areas to the caches along nice routes as long as its not miles

we want to do quite a few in one day...........we would do a circular walk if there were a few caches enroute

we just wanted a day out finding caches walking and stopping for our picnic

Obviously North Yorkshire, being a huge county has such varied landscape from coastal to the North York Moors to the Yorkshire Dales. It even takes 2-3 hours to drive from one side to the other.

I suggest that if you contact me initially by email via my link, I could contact you back either by email (or phone if you wish) and I will gladly pass on my recomendations.

Harrogate (in the middle of North Yorkshire) Hunters

Depending on which part of N Yorkshire you're intending to go to, I would be able to make different recommendations.

If you're staying in the Wensleydale area then there is about a dozen caches you can easily do in a day, in beautiful scenery, ranging from roadside virtuals, to steep (but thankfully short) hill climbs!

If you're staying in the Ribblesdale area then Sleepless42 has set some excellent caches in the area and again, there must be a dozen or so easily reachable caches in a day.

In the south of the county, near Skipton, Nidderdale and Harrogate, there are some nice groups and over in the east, on the moors, the caches are fewer and more widely distributed so you would not be able to "bag" as many in a day.

I would recommend Swaledale/Wensleydale or Ribblesdale/Settle for some beautiful scenery and quite a few "baggable" caches.

Let me know where you're going and I'll type up some lists of recommendations here in the forums for you.

hi leoness

we will just be driving down for a day out so the nearest from our approach from durham will be the cattering and pickering areas......if we need to go a bit further we dont mind, but we will be coming home the same night

thanks

Do you mean Catterick?

Pickering is south of the N York Moors and a bit of a cache desert.

If you DO mean Catterick, then I would recommend the following caches...

Cataractonium

Easby View

Roaming Round Richmond

Leoness' Yorkshire Den

Willance's Leap

Munn End

Fremington Edge

Bridal Reeth

Swaledale View

Booze but no Booze!

Britain's Highest Pub

The above includes a nice variety of caches along Swaledale and Arkengarthdale and, if you do them in the order above, you will end up fairly near the A66 to get back to A1(M) and back home to Durham!

I would recommend that you read the cache pages to ascertain whether some of them are suitable for your family as some of the hills can be quite steep!!!

Roaming Round Richmond is a multi, so you might want to miss it out if you think it would take up too much time but then, you might like the educational/historical aspect of the cache!

thank you all so much.........ive had loads of help from the forums and also from emails

i have just been looking at an interactive map and i think the area that both leoness and the harrogate hunters have told me about look good for a day out, i think we will be trying the richmond area

yes leoness i did mean catterick.........sorry too many cups of tea today lol

just to be a pain if we did scarborough for a day out are ther many round that area we could incorporating the kids going to the shows and on to the beach and getting a few caches

thank you all so much for your help, you are so kind

There are only two caches near to Scarborough...

Walking with the Dinosaurs

and

Pier End

They are both virtuals, so if your kids prefer to find a lunchbox full of goodies, then maybe they wouldn't be suitable.

You might like to consider other caches near the coast road en route to Scarborough...

Cleveland's Famous Seafarer

RADAR

Steers View

Sun Trap

(not very suitable for children!)

Heinkel 111 (also not suitable for children as near to a busy main road)

Bram Stoker's Whitby Cache (a virtual)

I hope that helps! :(

I've just noticed that there are some new ones in the Cleveland area which I haven't mentioned as I haven't done them!

Roseberry Topping

Highcliffe Nab

Guisborough Priory

The Iron Age Village

Hob Hole

Duck Bridge

You mentioned that you have found the interactive map on GCUK which I am sure you will find very useful.

these look great!

the list for the richmond area are all of those normal caches except the multi you mentioned?

we dont mind doing a few virtuals too the kids will do a few of those and have their photos taken but they do like to find the "treasure"

so if there are a few virtuals you could add to the richmond list that would be great too

There aren't any Virtuals really on the route I suggested you do along Swaledale.

There is one in Wensleydale, "Spinning Sculpture" - GC8726 but it would take you off your route to do it.

Apart from "Roaming Round Richmond" (which is a multi) the others are all Traditional caches ranging in difficulty & terrain from 1 to 3.5 - so nothing too taxing!

Edited by Leoness

ok,,,,,,,,,,,the virtuals aren't a problem either way

i think harrogate hunters are going to do me a list in the order i should do the caches

once i have that and print off the sheets make the coffee and sarnies and put some new batteries in the gps we are about ready for our day out

doesnt look like anyone want to accompany us so it looks like we are going it alone.........hope we get some nice weather down your way i know it is a beautiful area

Edited by Us 4 and Jess