Newbie Needs Help With Everything

Lone

Hello Everyone!

I'm new to Geocaching and I have some questions, old stuff thats probably somewhere on the Forums, but I am going to ask it anyway, so forgive me for that.

1. I just got a Garmin Etrex Venture, and I'm wondering if there the Garmin Map CD " Points Of Interest" will help me with Geocaching in any way...

2. I'm unsure about this, I live in Brooklyn, NY, and I want to make a Geocache somewhere around here, one that I can monitor on almost a weekly basis, but I am wondering if its worth putting a cache in a park, or something. I mean, its not a hard place to find, and not that scenic, that means it isnt worthwhile right? Can anyone please give me some tips or ideas on where to put caches, and how to not dissapoint people, etc. Stuff on this topic.

Thanks A Lot, icon_smile.gif

1) I don't see how the POI data will help directly with geocaching, but it might make it easier to find a gas station or place to get a sandwich along the way to a cache site. You can use the MapViewer on Garmin's website at:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/

to see what is contained on the POI databases in some areas near you and then decide if it's worthwhile. You'll need to zoom in quite close and click on the 'More Detail' button to see the points-of-interest appear.

2) I'd suggest finding a few caches first and see what features you like and/or dislike before placing your own.

A portion of a city park that's a little out of the way and less visited could be an excellent spot. I've seen lots of comments on caches in urban parks from people who had lived in the area for years and never previously visited the local park.

First off....welcome to the fun! I am in NY too but about an hour north of the city. There are alot of urban geocachers though so fear not... if you hide it they'll come looking for it icon_smile.gif

Sorry I can't help you with your software question...not familiar with that one. As to your second question you'll probably get lots of replies. The general opinion seems to be that you should hunt 10 or so caches before placing your own. This way you get a feel for what you are looking for in a cache.... not just contents but in the journey and hiding spots themselves. Find some around your area keeping in mind what you like/don't like about them and try to incorporate those principles in the cache you create. Good Luck and Happy Caching!

There is no hard and fast rule about what makes a good cache. If you have a place you enjoy and want to introduce other people to it, that's usually good enough. icon_smile.gif

There has been a lot of discussion about how many 'finds' you should have before placing your first cache. The general feeling is that you should find a few before placing your own. That gives you a better idea of what type of cache you enjoy finding and helps you to create a cache that others will enjoy as well.

The more caches you find, the more ideas you'll get for future caches you hide. The ingenuity of everyone here is amazing. You'd be surprised how small of an area you can hide a cache in. As others have said, find a few before hiding yours. Plus, with more ideas, you'll be able to hide it better so it doesn't get plundered. If I was a newbe, hid a cache and it got plundered right away, I might get turned off and quit caching. Now it's, how can I hide it so it doesn't get plundered again. Welcome to the fun.

i live in miami fl and have a few urbans out there. when i started there was only one cache nearby, now theres over 10 within a short drive. check my caches out for some ideas. search under zip code 33165. i like to use small containers with magnets so they can be hidden. i have 2 cd caches out that are setup like this. one of them is under a bridge (hint hint) near a very traveled area. kids hang out within feet of the geocache and it has yet to be plundered. theres plenty of places to hide things in an urban setting but most will have to be microcaches.

another alternative is if you have a buddy at a cafe (starbucks, etc). you can "plant" the geocache in the shop and the employees can keep an eye on it. it brings in extra traffic to the shop so the shop owner might be game.

currently i have 1 cache in the boonies, and the rest are urban. 1 is a large vitamin container in a local park covered up by palmfronds, 3 are magnetic. none have been vandalized yet.

URBO

Hi Lone. Welcome to geocaching. As a fellow New Yorker from Queens, come visit us a few miles away to get an idea of our caches. You'd be amazed how many big and little parks, neat spots along the beaches and jetties, etc there are once you get started. Plug in ZIP 11375 (Forest Hills) and check out the caches. Also plug in area code 212 and you can then find loads of caches in Central Park smack in the middle of Manhattan. I hunted a cache in a tree in an open area there that was 75 feet off the main walking roads with hundreds of walkers, cyclists, dog walkers, parrot walkers, it was like the Easter parade. I was amazed that the cache had been there for months and loads of people found it yet it wasn't plundered. Maybe it's us New Yorkers. We tend not to pay too much attention when we see weirdos skulking about walking around in circles doing strange things. Cache hunters fit right in! icon_wink.gif

Good luck

Alan