I Find This Interesting

I was born and raised in Connecticut and now been living in South Florida for almost 18 years.

When a post or article I come across with a cache page link, to a cache in New England area , especially Connecticut, I will take the time to check it out.

With my family still there, I lookup the caches near them for when I visit.

What I have noticed, it seems the majority of cachers in New England really take the time to write up a find on the cache page.

More so than here in S. Florida.

I enjoy reading them, but I have not found as many good logs here, as I would like to.

I mean they are just vmore creative up there.

I do try to be creative when writing up a find, and of course I came across this statement someone said here "If you found as many as I have, you would just leave TFTH."

Kinda lame to me? Maybe the sport gets boring if you play to long?

Before I get attacked here with "what about lame caches", the issue of lame caches is already posted in the forum, I not going there.

Does anybody notice other areas of the country where there seems to be more creativity in the logs instead of to many just TFTH's?

1signature2zl.jpg

I was born and raised in Connecticut and now been living in South Florida for almost 18 years.

When a post or article I come across with a cache page link, to a cache in New England area , especially Connecticut, I will take the time to check it out.

With my family still there, I lookup the caches near them for when I visit.

What I have noticed, it seems the majority of cachers in New England really take the time to write up a find on the cache page.

More so than here in S. Florida.

I enjoy reading them, but I have not found as many good logs here, as I would like to.

I mean they are just vmore creative up there.

I do try to be creative when writing up a find, and of course I came across this statement someone said here "If you found as many as I have, you would just leave TFTH."

Kinda lame to me? Maybe the sport gets boring if you play to long?

Before I get attacked here with "what about lame caches", the issue of lame caches is already posted in the forum, I not going there.

Does anybody notice other areas of the country where there seems to be more creativity in the logs instead of to many just TFTH's?

1signature2zl.jpg

I know you didn't want to go there, but I will. :(

I think you see a higher percentage of creative logs here because we have a higher percentage of creative cachers/caches. We don't have the types of caches that breed "#42 of 136 found caches today. This was our 17th in the "Stopsigns of CT" series. TNLNSL TFTC." type logs.

I am from West Tennessee, and I have noted a dearth of interesting and descriptive log entries here as well. Don't get me wrong, there are a few geocachers who are a joy to read (Jamie Zcomes to mind), but overall, 'TNLNTFTH' is more common than seems appropriate. I understand that sometimes a person gets busy and doesn't have time to log a very descriptive set of comments, but a little something for the geocache hider is , I believe, a reasonable thing to do considering the trouble that the person went through to hide the geocache in the first place. I have placed exactly one geocache so far: Bettis Plot, and I very much look forward to the accounts of the geocachers who find it. I have plans for three more that will involve some doing to find and I sincerely hope that they generate interesting stories.

In the defense of 'lame geocaches', at least they are quick and usually easy. They are the exception for me. When I feel that a cache is particularly lame (Wal-Mart Lamppost micro), I may very well say TNLNTFTH. Although, in all honesty, I ALWAYS trade, even if it is a penny.

My other (and, I promise, LAST) beef is with the fact that there are not more photos attached to the accounts of some hunts. It is very easy to post pictures, and I am reasonable certian that most geocachers have digital cameras. I take photos of almost every geocache hunt I engage in, even the Wally World Micros. For them, I may get a shot of the entire parking lot, and post a caption stating that the geocache hiding spot is in plain sight.

Flame on... :(

I don't think it has to do with the area of the country, it has to do with the quality of caches. Quality caches generate more interesting logs. How much is there to write about a film canister hidden in the bushes next to Burger King?

Connecticut has a rep for a lot of high quality caches, which generally means the logs will be more interesting.

Edit: Just noticed Mopar's post and he pretty much nailed it.

Edited by briansnat

To illustrate my post, here are two different caches, both real. One is a guardrail micro and the other is a 4 mile RT hike to a scenic overlook. The first one is in New England (proof that its the cache, not the region generates interesting logs).

April 27, 2003 by xxxx (80 found)

Found it. Took nothing, left nothing. Signed log and continued east.

[view this log on a separate page]

April 26, 2003 by yyyyyyy (117 found)

Visited this cache with xxxxxx

April 26, 2003 by xxxxxx (239 found)

We like these little stop offs. Found the cache and signed the log.

April 20, 2003 by zzzzzzz (154 found)

An easy find at before 8:00 am. It was nice to get out and enjoy the fresh air. Thanks!

April 20, 2003 by uuuuuuuuu (344 found)

Came, saw, quick find. On the way from NH to Schoharie, CO.

[January 18, 2003 by tttttttt. (168 found)

Third find of the day. No trades. Thanks. Marc

January 15, 2003 by qqqqqqf (210 found)

Second finder. Made the trip with nnnnnn. Thanks.

January 15, 2003 by nnnnnn (596 found)

Found it today with qqqqqqf. Nice quick easy one for the winter.

Not So Lame Cache

December 26, 2003 by xxxxxxxr (52 found)

First attempt at this cache was on 12/20/03. Spent a bit of time on the Hawk Watch platform talking to a couple and watching the birds in the area. Sauntered over to the first stage area and found it after about a 10 min. search. Had to read the hint to find it. From there, went to cache location and searched for about 20 minutes. Another place where there are many possible locations. Read hint and searched some more but could not find it. Gave up and decided to come back for this one and Graffiti Rock. Returned on 12/26/03 and went for Graffiti first. Then returned to search for Hawk Watch. Found it after a short search. It does not take much snow to totally obscure the cache. Last week I was literally standing on top of it and couldn't find it. SL and swapped Crayola Factory gold "coin" for a Corning Glass Museum green marble. Great area for a cache and the view is spectacular.

November 2, 2003 by yyyyyyyyyyyy (42 found)

What a beautiful Fall day, best I can remember in years. Garrett, Laura and myself headed out for this one early because I had to work today, I am not off til Thursday, and who knows if we will ever have a day like this again (when I am off). Taking advantage of the weather, I decided to give this a look considering the rave reviews it recieves and being one of BBBBBB caches, how bad could it be?

We found the first stage revlatively easily. From there, we headed over to the Platform to see if we see anything. We were the only ones there and saw 12 Turkey Vultures....I think. Gorgeous veiws... quiet... peaceful.... relaxing... couldn't describe it any better. After a short stay at the platform, we went for the final cache. Definately not an easy find. Took us about an hour to find the cache. I am hoping it is because of the fallen foliage. Great hide and teriffic cache. We took nothing and left nothing. Our approach to the cahce was on the Tower road and we returned to the car via the Orange trail. Much better hike on the return. When we head out the Hawk watch seem to be getting a bit crowded, who could blame them on this gorgeous day.(Well worth the 45 min drive) Now I get to go to work. Pictures to come.....

October 5, 2003 by Team xxxxxx (127 found)

N 40° 56.834 W 074° 28.296

#55. This cache was one of the best anywhere. This is why we are geocachers - to find out about neat places like this that we would never know about otherwise. We couldn't find the parking lot that BBBBBBB gave the coordinates for, so we parked by the Bat Cave and had a nice hike (found out later the road we were looking for was a couple miles down). We were hoping to find Pete the Polar Bear in this cache - he's supposed to be here - but there was no sign of him and nothing in the logs about him being picked up. We hope he hasn't been bearnapped! Traded a polished jasper stone and a Selby Gardens magnet for 2 AA batteries, and swapped Georges. Thanks for a great outing.

[view this log on a separate page]T

October 5, 2003 by mmmmmm (300 found)

#267 and 3 of 3 today

After I found the other two caches near where I parked I started the hike up to this great spot. I followed the white trail mostly but switched to an ATV road about halfway there. The hiding spot for the first element was to say the least a bit exposed feeling. I’m sure when the leaves fall from the trees this will become even harder to find without being seen. On another note. This cache is freakin’ cool!!! I spend a long time just taking pictures and taking in the view before I even started hunting. After that I used the cheat to find the first stage (I didn’t want to hang around here to long). I headed off to the second element and found it quickly in a Brian like hiding spot. I signed the log book and left a ‘’Late Show’’ pencil. Thank you for a great cache in a fantastic spot!

October 2, 2003 by fffff (31 found)

I really enjoyed some of the view from this cache. It was a little bit of a challenge but not too bad

September 27, 2003 by oooooo (352 found)

Team oooooo hiked over from the computer cache, roughly following the White and orange trails, in addition to several unmarked, but well-defined trails. After ¼ mile of walking we where hit with a brief shower and a few thunderclaps. That storm quickly cleared and we started spotting small salamanders (or newts, not sure which is which) on the trail. Very cool! As we approached the parking area for the Hawk Watch another storm rolled in, and literally dumped gallons of water on us. iiiiiiii produced a tarp shelter for us out of his backpack of magic tricks and we waited the storm out. (Thanks iiiiii, we owe you a beer and a burger!)

Once the storm cleared, the sun came out and we moved on. We made it to the hawk watch quickly and took in the sights; we even saw a rainbow!

After finding the great hiding spot for stage one, we proceeded to stage two. I think we actually found this stage quicker then it took us to actually retrieve it. The cache had managed to get itself wedged in to a tight spot. Be we where in good hands, ooooooo used her girl power to remove the cache and the three guys made their trades and signed the log.

September 27, 2003 by zzzzzzz (69 found)

Geo#45 This was my first Group Hunt, I met Team DDDD on the Parking lot for the Cave and then waited for Team RRRRR to arrive. From there we headed to the Bat Cave & Computer Caches that I had done previously, so as an spectator I had the opportunity to watch their Geocaching Skills in action. They spotted both caches in no time and then we headed to the Hawk Watch. Our determination was not going to be deterred by a "small" downpour, so we basically swam the trails in our way up. Once there we enjoyed the AMAZING view from the top, and spent a few minutes looking for the first stage of the cache. Once found, we hiked towards the last stage were Team's EEEE's Female Power was the key to reach the sneaky cache.Took a Carabiner and left a Safety Strove light and a Cheesequake Park Trail Map.Thanks for another Great Hunt!

September 27, 2003 by Team DDDD (130 found)

This was the 3rd find of the day for myself with zzzzz and Team EEEEEE. On the way to cache from our 2nd find, it absolutely poured. We all got soaked. Once we got to the lookout point, it was worth it. What a view! We snapped some pics and headed to the 1st stage. Found it after a couple of minutes of looking - that BBBBB is sneaky!! With the coords for the 2nd stage, we set off for the short walk to it and found it pretty quickly. Getting it out was another matter!!! I wonder who made it so tough - must have been the last cacher! We finally had to have the female power of Team EEEEEE get the cache. I signed the log, TNLN. Nice cache BBBBB and SSSSS - thanks!

September 24, 2003 by hhhhhhhhh (294 found)

Took the day off today and after we'd loaded the kids on the schoolbus, my wife and I figured it was a perfect day to enjoy a hike. We enjoyed the drive down splitrock road and to the site - then hiked up to the ridge. Found the first stage immediately (how did I miss that last time?), spent a little time conversing with the hawk watchers - then headed off to find the cache. Quick find - took a tape and left a big yellow flashlight (wow - that ammo box is FULL!). We rehid the cache exactly as we found it and headed over toward 'Graffiti Rock Ramble'.

Thanks for a fun hunt and a great excuse to get out hiking without the kids!

September 21, 2003 by JJJJJJJJl (59 found)

Last cache for the day found the first part with a little help, second part quite easily. Due to time and the sun going down we boggied out of their after taking a whistle and leaving a keychain. What a great ending to a great day.

September 21, 2003 by LLLLLLLLL (64 found)

This was the final cache of the day for JJJJJJ and I. We had to use the hint for the first stage. After reading it we found it without too much trouble. It is awfully close to the trail but I think it is well out of site. Replaced it where we found it and off to the cache which JJJJJJJ found fairly quickly. I took the Smiley Face bubbles and left a Judge Button and some rubber frogs. We took the white trail back to the bat cave and just made it out when the bats were emerging. Cool. On the way down we saw the spooky cemetary but did not have time to investigate and were lucky enough to hear a screech owl calling just as we came out of the wood. Thanks for the ending to a great day.

September 21, 2003 by eeeeeeee (207 found)

The Hawk Watch was full today - there must have been 25 people there. I felt very uncomfortable search for the first stage. I couldn't see any of them, so I hope they couldn't see me. I came by way of the Bat Cave and scored the first part of the new Graffiti Rock cache. After finding both parts of Hawk Watch, I completed Graffiti Rock on my way out. I highly recommend this hike to others, especially if you need 2 for a milestone. I swopped WG$ and added an extra, series 1988A.

September 18, 2003 by BBBBBBBBt (1111 found)

Find #1019. Nice hike in; quite a few people at the platform ... I see some people get to drive right up to it. That bald eagle was circling the area again today. Both stages were easy finds. Took nothing, left a ''George.'' Thanks.

(Egads! As I was typing this log, somebody just lost control of their car and smashed in my neighbor's basement wall and window! Film at 11!)

September 14, 2003 by SSSSSSSS (61 found)

Headed over to this cache after finding the first part of Graffitti Rock. Found the first part easily, but took a little longer with the 2nd since there were people back and forth to the hawk watch platform. Traded WG$ and signed log book. Met Team VVVVV on my way back to find the 2nd stage of Graffitti Rock, and saw SSSSSSSS in the parking lot, but didn't realize it was them untillater on....they look nothing like their pictures on the cards they leave.

[last edit: 9/14/2003 6:02:42 PM PST]

September 14, 2003 by Team VVVVV (13 found)

Headed up to the first stage from the bat cave and stopped at Grafitti Rock Ramble stage one. Than we saw SSSSSS and headed twards the first stage. On the way we saw the YYYYYYYYs. Found the first stage fairly easily. Found the second part easily too. Saw a few hawks and hawk watchers. Took WG dollar and pocket knife left marble and silver.

Thanks!

September 14, 2003 by SSSSSSSSS (107 found)

Parked in the desinated area and met with one of the hawk counters, he said look a bald eagle and pointed to a large bird circleing in the air, sure enough an eagle was flying around. he asked if we were geocachers? we interduced ourselfs and we chatted for a while, then we headed up the fireroad to the platform we grabbed the first stage (the numbers were right on) we punched the new cord into the gps and headed to the 2nd stage, found it and logged the book, took mini cache ready to go, and left smiliy face bubbles and a package of dice. and headed over to the rock cache, met with team sssss on the white trail while they were on the way to this cache, on our way back to the car the rain started and we got caught on the mountian in a downpour, we were soaked. (know how hard it is to walk up trails with wet jeans? ) great cache, we will be comming back with our camaras when the trees start to turn color

August 31, 2003 by hhhhhhh (294 found)

What a great spot for the cache. Waking up to a cool clear day today - we packed a lunch and all headed up for a hike (on BrianSnat's suggestion). Well - a great suggestion it was, we reached the Observation platform and found about a dozen or so people watching and identifying hawks. Very nice view - so we sat and had some lunch before looking for stage 1. Finding a micro in the woods isn't my forte and we only spent a few minutes searching, but alas, came up empty. We'll certainly be back (will be fun to bring friends to this out of the way gem) and will take more time to search for stage 1, but we really enjoyed the hike.

Thanks for a fun hunt!

August 30, 2003 by MMMMMMMl (91 found)

Stopped by today because I felt guilty about taking a book and just leaving some WG$. I left a book called, The Home Brewer's Companion. Hopefully some cacher will be able to use it. I also traded the 2 new WG$ that were there for a Tom.

Some other interesting notes.. Spotted what we believe to be a Vermilion Flycatcher near stage 1 of this cache. I'm actually going back today to see if we can spot it again because its a rare find for NJ.

Also going from the Hawk platform to the cache we saw a copperhead. Of course I didn't have my camera!!! It was trying to make its way across the trail and froze when it saw us.

August 30, 2003 by Sssssssss. (586 found)

#445 – 8/30/03 I’ve been chomping at the bit to find this cache since it popped up on the website a few days ago. It was just Ashley, Autumn, an me today. I had the parking cords punched into my GPS’r but somehow couldn’t get there (I know there is parking available there since we passed the area on our hike to the cache and saw several cars parked there). I decided to park in another designated spot right off Green Pond Rd. From there, the first part of the hike was pretty steep, but after that it was a piece of cake. We got to the vicinity of stage 1 without a problem, and Ashley found it quickly. I jotted down the coords for the final stage and punched them into my e-trax. There was small blue lizard (that’s right, blue) by the cache site. I never saw one like it. I tried to catch it but it scurried under a tree stump. We stopped by the overlook to take some pictures then moved onto the final stage. That was a pretty straight forward find as well as Ashley found it after just a few minutes. We swapped WG$’s - Ashley took the pocket dictionary and logged our visit – I left a bunch of WWF pencils, crayons, a mini pencil & sharpener. We took the same route back to the car. Our round trip was just a little over 4 miles. This was another classic BBBBBBB cache in a very nice area. Thanks BBBB for placing the cache!

I think you see a higher percentage of creative logs here because we have a higher percentage of creative cachers/caches.  We don't have the types of caches that breed "#42 of 136 found caches today. This was our 17th in the "Stopsigns of CT" series. TNLNSL TFTC." type logs.

I see the same thing in NC Pennsylvania and Western Pennsylvania.

"Most" cachers around here look for, and enjoy writing about, their quality experience. They are just not in it for the numbers.

Salvelinus

ps. The sport dosn't get boring the longer you play...only the caches do.

<edit> Added thought

Edited by Salvelinus
My other (and, I promise, LAST) beef is with the fact that there are not more photos attached to the accounts of some hunts. It is very easy to post pictures, and I am reasonable certian that most geocachers have digital cameras. I take photos of almost every geocache hunt I engage in, even the Wally World Micros. For them, I may get a shot of the entire parking lot, and post a caption stating that the geocache hiding spot is in plain sight.

I'll second this. I love good logs; I love pictures even more. They don't have to be great pictures, either. Even people what don't rite gude can post pictures and brighten up a log.

I'll second this. I love good logs; I love pictures even more. They don't have to be great pictures, either. Even people what don't rite gude can post pictures and brighten up a log.

I would also agree. I like sharing my pictures, and sometimes when I don't have much to say in a log I feel like I can compensate with some cleverly-captioned pictured. I sometimes don't bring the camera, like if I'm going for an FTF or a quick micro, but many of my own logs have pictures.

I noticed the trend that was mentioned in the beginning. Central New York falls in the middle. We have a good number interesting caches/cachers, so we have a lot of medium-sized logs...nothing like some epics I've seen from New England, but rarely the "TNLN TFTC" breed ones either.

As someone from CT who has been complimented for both my more creative and more informative logs, I must say I was inspired mostly by Oregone's hilarious logs and have my own tendency to ramble.

Similarly, the members of Yodadog enjoy fleshing theirs out a bit more too...(coincidentally, we have professional backgrounds in the same field.)

As far as I'm concerned, the log is an expression of appreciation for the cache. Just as hiding good ones stimulates others to hide better caches, writing more interesting logs inspires such too.

However, I tend to be inspired by the circumstances of the hunt, which, unlike Mopar's suggestion, has absolutely NOTHING to do with the quality of the cache itself. (My first 3-part story was someone's first hide w/coords over 100' off and nothing special inside.) I've also sometimes written the log BEFORE going on the hunt!

OTOH, those who write good creative logs also tend to think more about their hides, although the reverse isn't necessarily true. (More folks can hide good caches than write creative logs thankfully--I much prefer more of the former than later.)

Enjoy,

Randy

PS: It doesn't hurt to be able to type 30-40 wpm either...

For some reason, my longest cache logs tend to be when I have done something really, really stupid during the search.

And that is exactly why the majority of my logs are so long! The humans do something really, really stupid 95% of the time :) !

Thanks, RJ--caching is just such a slice of life--you know? Why leave out all those "warm and fuzzy" moments!? :)

I try to write a bit for each cache and I try to include something about the hunt or the cache itself or the view, or all three if it's a really good one..... my log for Marcos de Nieza and Beyond comes to mind as does my log for West Fork Sycamore, both out in AZ. To me, the log is the "history" of the cache, and each of us who finds it contributes to that history. Even DNF's will get a decent log entry as part of the history. I do tend to write longer logs for the caches that are more fun for me.

What is really disappointing to me is to see "cookie cutter" logs that are obviously copy and pasted. They are usually so generic and say nothing about the cache: " I was here today with the gang and we had a lot of fun, it was so cool, TFTC" or something along those lines. These logs tell you next to nothing, and if you read the logs, as I do, to try to determine if the cache is worthwhile doing, they are useless. I have seen those on all sorts of caches, regardless of quality, so I am not sure that quality caches beget quality logs, or perhaps its just a function of the type of cacher: "numbers runner" or "casual cacher," as I think of them.

If you have written as many logs as I have...

It's just not always easy to come up with stuff to say. Every now and then about all you have is TNLNSL. What helps me is to remind myself about the adventurs we had that day, or my memory will dredge up some detail out of my past.

My logs are not always about the cache, they could be a rant on the politics of the drive through.

I recently placed a puzzle cache and a cacher about 100 miles away emailed me the solution. Since it was a micro, the only swag that would fit were tiny recipe slips for Chocolate Tofu Pie. (I enjoy leaving kid swag.). He made the pie the next day and responded with this note.

When I solved the puzzle, JohnX was nice enough to send me the recipe for the Chocolate Tofu Pie. It is very easy to make, and quite good. The store was out of silken tofu, so I used soft instead. My wife liked it, and was shocked when I told her the ingredients. She usually avoids tofu. One daughter liked it, the other didn't, but she doesn't like chocolate ice cream or chocolate milk either, so that's not a surprise.

A little unusual for a cache log but I appreciated the response.

I'm glad this topic came up. It seemed most of the logs I read for the few I've found were very short. I thought that was the way the logs were *supposed* to be. :huh:

After seeing this thread, I wrote a longer description for a cache I found today and will try to be more descriptive from now on -- as long as its okay. :lol:

After seeing this thread, I wrote a longer description for a cache I found today and will try to be more descriptive from now on -- as long as its okay

Its OK. In fact many owners appreciate it. I know I tend to be wordy in my logs and have been known to write a few paragraphs even about a 1/1 guardrail hide.

Its just a matter of personal preference. Some people like to write and some don't. Though as a cache owner I admit I'm disappointed when I get a two sentence log for a cache I placed that I know is an adventure. It leave me wondering. How'd he deal with the stream crossing? What did he think when he saw the cliff? How long did it take? Did he have fun?

After seeing this thread, I wrote a longer description for a cache I found today and will try to be more descriptive from now on -- as long as its okay.

Not only is it OK as Brian said, but it's encouraged!

Folks who don't want to read it won't... Until before last night I'd not seen nor written anything longer than a 3-parter--last night I saw a four!

(Let's see, at a limit of 4000 characters per part, an average of 8 letters per word, a 3-parter would be up to 1,500 words...)

Verbosity is encouraged,

Randy

...Even people what don't rite gude can post pictures and brighten up a log.

I agree, but pictures can be just as banal as written commments. Just as not everyone is gifted with words, not everyone can be creative with a camera. I have seen cache logs with four or five nearly identical snapshots of the same scenic vista--what's the point of that?

There is almost always something interesting to photograph, but seeing it requires a certain eye. I once posted a photo of what seemed to me a very peculiar mushroom. Fortunately, I had a camera that would take closeups--not all inexpensive digital cameras will do that.

I suppose that there is always something interesting to say, as well--although consideration for the cache owner's feelings might keep us from saying it.

Personally, I enjoy relating any experience that made the cache unique for me (like the hibernating skunk we found behind a cache container yesterday--and I included a photo). As a cache owner, I really enjoy reading logs and hearing that folks enjoyed a cache that I worked hard to put together.

Oregones name has been mentiones several times, and I have also admired the way he leaves such interesting logs. So, when I found out he had been interviewed in "Todays Cacher", I carefully read the article.

His explanation of why and how he writes his logs inspired me, so now I will use more thought in leaving my logs. The following is my first of hopefully many. The cache owner did in fact e-mail me to say how much he enjoyed the log. :huh:

Pennsylvania

Saturday, February 12, 2005

Captain Chaoss found Urban Hike (Unknown Cache)     

NW 3.1mi from your home coordinates.

Ah Goldsnoop, the cacher ya LOVE to "hate" sometimes ! I quit counting how many random times I stopped by to try and search for this one. For a mall with so few stores left, there were always a ton of people sauntering through with nothing to do but stand too close for a good search.

Last night though, I asked Dizzy to pull in well after closing. The only Muggle about was the fella scrubbing the floors inside. I hid below the window while caressing the object of my attention, attempting to seduce it into giving up its secret.

WHY is it that I always feel dirty after searching for a Goldsnoop cache ? I've given public utilities such thorough exams, I should have a PHD.

Low and behold, no cache. I thanked the box for a good time anyhow, promised to call it tomorrow, and re-directed my affections to a new mistress almost immediately. PAYDIRT !

I had participated in a forum thread where this type of hide was mentioned, yet it never came to mind till tonight to explore the option. Cool hide !

This kind of cache displays our tendency to miss whats staring us right in the face. I love that. LAst summer, we were at a picnic at a friends home. As the day wound down, adults began to settle into comfortable conversations, while the younger generation started a game of Hide & Seek. They decided I was old and slow enough to be a worthwhile target, kind of like the antelope you just know is going to wind up on the menu of the Serengetti. Much begging and pleading persuaded me to join in, but where to hide my 6', 200 lb self ? I don't want to wind up chasing all these spry teens and pre-teens, being assailed by their taunts of being too slow. Besides, my beer could get spilled running.

The solution presented itself in the form of a fireside gaggle of women. The sultry summers evening lingered at 78*, but as is true of the fairer species, these ones gathered at the warmest site. I availed myself of an empty chair within the circle of huddled bodies, hunkered down into a comfortable slump, and sipped a frothy head off some of Latrobe PA's greatest export. This gazelle may be past his prime sprinting days, but that night my "camo" worked just fine. The youngsters scoured the countryside for an hour, even attempting to enlist the aid of the very parents I was seeking solitude amongst. Thankfully, they were enough amused by the oversight of their progeny to keep my secret.

The beauty of a young man is in their strength, but us "old dogs" still have a few tricks. Keep that in mind when ya can't find Goldsnoop caches. The darn thing is probably staring at ya from its comfortable spot, laughing at you silently.