Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RoosterBoy

Park Ranger Vhf Frequency

hi I like to hike on the trail with my ht this summer is there a list of park ranger or emergency radio frequencies I can use for national parks

thanks

Edited by igsonline

Not trying to be smart here. But the freqs listed are not in the operating bands for ham radio. I guess the poster has a license for them. also, a modified ham radio "opened up" to transmit on those freqs might be a problem too. I agree that it would be good for emergency use. B UT WITH THE WAY THE Guvmint is now days it could prove costly.

even though it might help save a life!

73's

skillett :D

As far as operating on a park service frequency, unless to are an employee on the park siervice in question, you would be in violation of federal law if you used the park servise frequency.

If you open up a ham radio you would also be in violation for using a non type accepted radio, even if you can open up a ham radio to operate out of the ham bands you would be in vilation for doing so.

Your best bet would to be to get a ham radio license and use the hame radio frequencies.

I guess a better phrased question might be, are there any amateur radio frequencies that park rangers monitor? Something they would know to listen on for emergencies?

Edited by KC0GRN

I just searched the arrl and google for emergency freqs for the park service and came up with zip. the arrl has some emergency comm courses but thats it. My suggestion would be to ask a local park ranger directly.

73's

skillett ;)

I always say, in an emergency anything goes!

What's that saying, "Its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six?"

C-A

I did find some information about an arrl "Wilderness Protocol" Not sure how in force or used it is, but it just mentions monitoring the national simplex 146.520 at certain times of the day. Of course that doesn't mean park rangers monitor it, just other HAMs that are volunteering to do it.

http://www.arsqrp.com/ars/pages/back_issue...xt/finding.html

You'd think there could be some kind of standard emergency/distress frequency that people could be allowed to use, and that all the local authorities could monitor. Sort of a 911 for the cell phone challenged.

Once, several years ago, before cell phones were widely used and every joe schmuck had one, my brother and I were out driving after a large storm, checking for damages and stuff. Basically rubbernecking.

At one point, in the absolute middle of nowhere and bored out of our wits, so we decided to turn around. My brother pulled into a driveway to do a quick three point turn.

Of course, it would have been a quick, three point turn if it weren't for the mud in this driveway.

Quite simply, we got stuck.

At the time, I was little, and so there was no way we were getting out of there.

My brother had his ham radio, and immediately sent out an SOS on several major local frequencies. A nice gentleman heard our SOS and was able to help us. He called our dad on the phone, and asked him to come out with the pickup and a tow strap. He was then able to help up give our dad directions to where we were.

I guess my point is this:

Why break federal laws, risking loss of your license to try and contact a ranger on the ranger operations frequency. I think your better off trying to raise someone else and ask them to call for help. Of course, that won't always work, but I hope you're never put in the position to even need that. But if you do by chance need help, and can't raise a local, I'd try getting the rangers on their frequency, but use that only as a last resort...

when it comes to saving someone's life I don't care about laws

and besides it was not me who made the call :-) but thanks for coming to the rescue :-). it's about time :-)

I have a Technician license and I was told by my best friend AB1AI that it was legal to transmit on any band as long as it's for life or death or save the life of property emergency's only

thanks guys

Ecolink node number 151670 or AB1AI-R and ask for me kb1igk or ab1ai

73's

Edited by RoosterBoy

Roosterboy is right. This subject was a question on the test. we can transmit on any frequency in an emergency situation. I remember it from my novice exam. Boy that was a long time ago.

from the fcc technician class exam

T1C09 (:) [97.113a3]

Under what conditions are amateur stations allowed to communicate with stations

operating in other radio services?

A. Never; amateur stations are only permitted to communicate with other amateur

stations

B. When authorized by the FCC or in an emergency

C. When communicating with stations in the Citizens Radio Service

D. When a commercial broadcast station is using Amateur Radio frequencies for

newsgathering during a natural disaster

the correct answer is B

I stand corrected from my origional post

skillet :o

If there is an emergency all rules go out the door. If it is an emergency involving life or property you could talk to anybody that will listen. I really like the idea of finding another ham who is listening. I don't know where you are but here in Wyoming you would be extremely lucky to find another ham in the middle of nowhere. However all HP officers monitor mutual aid. That is far more likely to raise help. I am not talking about calling for help because you are stuck or ran out of gas. If you use an out of band frequency you had better have a good reason.

I must also point out that modifying a rig to transmit out of band it not illegal. Actually using it is. I am sure we all have vehicles that will break the speed limit. That is not illegal unless we actually do it.

Brad

I agree with Brad above. There is no issue with modifying your HAM equipment to be able to operate outside of its intended band. But it would be illegal to operate the modified radio in any band outside of your license restrictions (emergencies excepted).

I never modified mine because I didn't want to inadvertently key up on the sheriff band and transmit my call sign.

I had a friend who sometimes used his modified HAM HT to operate on the marine VHF band. He held a license with call sign for marine VHF, but using the HAM radio on that band was illegal.

-K6RIO

from the fcc technician class exam

T1C09  (:ph34r:  [97.113a3]

Under what conditions are amateur stations allowed to communicate with stations

operating in other radio services?

A.  Never; amateur stations are only permitted to communicate with other amateur

stations

B.  When authorized by the FCC or in an emergency

C.  When communicating with stations in the Citizens Radio Service

D.  When a commercial broadcast station is using Amateur Radio frequencies for

newsgathering during a natural disaster

the correct answer is B

I stand corrected from my origional post

skillet :ph34r:

Yes, that has beent he law since time immemorial, but a few years back a ham in Southern California (I believe) used a police frequency to report an injured hiker, after being unable to contact anyone by cell phone or ham freqs, and after monitoring the police freq. to make sure there was no urgent traffic. The injured party was rescued and treated, and the Ham was crusified by the Feds. He settled by allowing them to keep his radio, and being admonished. He didn't have the money or will to fight this injustice.

I didn't say things like this 20 years ago, but now - the hell with the emergency, unless it involves me or my loved ones. Such a shame.

On another note, since when were hams required to use type accepted equipment? My old HF transmitter I build sure wasn't! worked good, though.

On another note, since when were hams required to use type accepted equipment?  My old HF transmitter I build sure wasn't!  worked good, though.

Hams have never needed type accepted equipment to operate within the amateur radio bands. It's when you start modifying equipment to operate outside the amateur bands (FRS, GMRS, etc) that you start needing type accepted equipment. Again, the modified equipment doesn't need type acceptance when operating within the ham bands, just outside.

Tom

n0jyz

I dont know what area your looking at but I ushley program the local SAR (search and rescu) repeater. Its a amature repeater and much easer to explane than useing MARS/LERN or outher out of band frq's. Best of all it will probley get you to the people that will be cumeing out to help anyway. I also aways like to have a repeater with auto patch loaded as well. Note King County SAR 145.110 - off set and a tone of 127.3

I know that up here in vermont while hiking the long trail and even while at home or on the road i will listen to 146.520 every half hour on the hour just in case someone needs help as i believe this is the standard protocol.

let me know if not such.

73 de AA1PR,Mike

My handi will monitor those frequencies, but it will not transmit on them.

So I listen to what the rangers are doing, and it gets really strange looks from rangers as well, when they hear their traffic from my campsite...LOL

...snip...

I had a friend who sometimes used his modified HAM HT to operate on the marine VHF band. He held a license with call sign for marine VHF, but using the HAM radio on that band was illegal.

-K6RIO

Which is why I've done the reverse

I use a commercial HT (GE MP/A) that is of the correct "split" that it covers the Marine band and the Ham band WITH NO MODS - as it is a type approved radio for the marine band (In fact the USCG did/does use them) and it is NOT modified, I'm "good to go" in either the marine or Ham bands in one HT

Of course I have to carry a second one for UHF - but that is another story

we can transmit on any frequency in an emergency situation.

That is only after all other posabilities have been exusted. And I would expext to find your self in court and probably jail no mater what the situation.

when it comes to saving someone's life I don't care about laws

and besides it was not me who made the call :-) but thanks for coming to the rescue :-). it's about time :-)

I have a Technician license and I was told by my best friend AB1AI that it was legal to transmit on any band as long as it's for life or death or save the life of property emergency's only

thanks guys

Ecolink node number 151670 or AB1AI-R and ask for me kb1igk or ab1ai

73's

Your freind is wrong. The radio must be type accepted for the band, ham radios are only type accepted for ham radio bands. It must also be a life or death issue, getting stuck in the mudd, getting lost etc. do not quilify. Peole have been taken to court for using ham radios on bands they were not type accepted for, even if you culd win in acourt case, it would take a lot of money.

Were most hams make the mistake is that it is illegal to open a ham radio to operate out of band, if you feel the need to be able to go out of band buy a commercial radio and use it on the ham bands, that is legal. Ham radios do not have the tolerances that are required for comnercial radios.

You might send an e-mail to Riley Hollingsworth (FCC ham radio enforcement) an ask him.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

I know that up here in vermont while hiking the long trail and even while at home or on the road i will listen to 146.520 every half hour on the hour just in case someone needs help as i believe this is the standard protocol.

let me know if not such.

73 de AA1PR,Mike

You should also monitour the local repeaters as 146.520 just will not give the same coverage

Were most hams make the mistake is that it is illegal to open a ham radio to operate out of band

Almost. The enabling of the radio to transmit out of band is not illegal in the least. It is the USING of that radio to then transmit out of band which is illegal. As you said, though, in a true life or death situation I wouldn't think about it twice.

On another note, however, I do have commercial equipment that will go wherever it is that I might need to go, so I'd have one less charge against me were I to use that equipment to make the life/death call. I'd still be in serious jeopardy of losing my amateur radio license if I wasn't able to justify my actions 100%. -Ken