"map It" Display Map Missing Caches

Boomer

Has anyone had a problem when your viewing a map using the "Map It" button and Traditional Cache icons aren't displayed even though you know there are traditional caches in the area your looking. Then when I select identify, it displays the location with a number. Even if I zoom out or in, their not displayed. Yes I do have the icon checked.

To verify the problem, I tried it on two different computers, one old and one newer, and came up with the same problem. Geocaching.com thought it my be my browser type or settings.

Why would just the icon be missing?

The system that builds the files the map uses sometimes hiccups and one of the types go away.

Jeremy,

Would it make sense to add some error detection to that system, so if a given shapefile ends up empty (or smaller than some threshold) then it re-runs that type right away instead of waiting until the next cycle?

This was a good kick in the pants. I added some additional error checking. If it fails now it won't try and use the new shapefiles. It means that sometimes the data may be a bit stale but it is better than not being there at all <_<

Thanks for the gentle nudging.

Thank you for addressing this. I'm just glad I wasn't going to a new area that I wasn't familier with when this happened.

I've been experiencing the same problem - glad to see it wasn't just me. I don't recall this ever happening prior to the website "makeover". I find it happening at least 3 times a week.

Speaking of the new website, I like it alot. My wife has a web design business and I asked what she thought of the new look - she said "..more professional looking, colors easier on the eyes...overall a good update effort. Thought I'd pass the "professional" opinion along.

Has anyone had a problem when your viewing a map using the "Map It" button and Traditional Cache icons aren't displayed even though you know there are traditional caches in the area your looking. Then when I select identify, it displays the location with a number. Even if I zoom out or in, their not displayed. Yes I do have the icon checked.

To verify the problem, I tried it on two different computers, one old and one newer, and came up with the same problem. Geocaching.com thought it my be my browser type or settings.

Why would just the icon be missing?

ahhh -

I think I have seen that -- was wondering what was happening -

I noticed it when there were only a few and then Identify caused a bunch to show up.

I have noticed that when I have the "show caches I have found" button is on that some of the more recent caches I have found (like in the last week) aren't showing the red check mark. This might just be an update lag but I don't really know. Any ideas?

I have noticed that when I have the "show caches I have found" button is on that some of the more recent caches I have found (like in the last week) aren't showing the red check mark. This might just be an update lag but I don't really know. Any ideas?

I'm wondering about the same lag. There are caches I found a week ago that aren't checked. :blink: