Why should/shouldn't I download EasyGPS?

rag-a-muffin

Hey all...

I've read some posts about EasyGPS, but I still can't figure out what the heck it's good for. Can someone give me a quick rundown of what EasyGPS is used for, and whether it's worth my time or not to download and use it. Is it more trouble than it's worth? Is it a real life-saver or what? Just wanna know what it does, and some pros and cons of the whole thing.

thanks,

GeoRobb

Additionally, when i Have downloaded waypoints, I can create different routes and upload those to my GPS so it will take me from one point to the next, and next,.....

Also, I paid for the $50 upgrade and can see all the waypoints I downloaded on a map or aerial photo. You can click on each to view their cache page on-line. Then build your route9s) for the day.

It also allows you to download and save waypoints onto your PC, so that if you have to clear your GPS, you won't lose information.

I have a file of my permanent waypoints (house, work, restaurants, etc). Then I get a file for caches near my house, another for near work, and another in an area I am traveling to. Friday nights, I wipe my GPS and load the weekend (near home) caches. Sunday night I wipe it and load my (near work) weekday caches.

I like it!

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

well, you should download easygps because its a very capable data manager for routes and waypoints. its very versatile and its the program needed to download geocache information from this site. besides its free.

you shouldnt download easygps because there are other programs that are more powerful and have more features, such as oziexplorer and gpstrackmaker. generally youll have to pay for these programs which puts you in the range of expertgps which from my limited experience with it is also a very good program.

personally i use gpstrackmaker and oziexplorer for maps and easygps for waypoint magangement. if you intend to use you gps with any frequency these programs save time, eliminate human error, and are fun to tinker with, in short a must have.

such as they are in EasyGPS. You can use them but until you upgrade to ExpertGPS they'll have 'holes' in them encouraging you to buy the real deal. Since it's a free download give it a shot and try uploading a track file to it after you look for a cache. If you're anything like me you'll be amazed at how far you wandered over the terrain looking for the dang cache.

I'm not sure why someone would get three different programs for maps and waypoint management when ExpertGPS does it all.

Let my heart be still a moment and this mystery explore

One more thing.

I found that ExpertGPS shows my track in the right place.

MapSend topo or streets does not.

I don't have the National Geographic product to see if it does better.

I even did a web page showing the differences in the accuracy. I would highly recommend paying the $50 for ExpertGPS once you've tried the EasyGPS.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

quote:
Originally posted by Faderaven:

I'm not sure why someone would get three different programs for maps and waypoint management when ExpertGPS does it all.

ill assume you talking about me and the 3 programs. the reasons are pretty simple actually, i use easygps to interact with this site. i used to use trackmaker when i used free maps downloaded from toporama, but when i got a disc of png map images i had to change to ozi because other software wouldnt support these map images.

i mentioned trackmaker because it gives you the features of expertgps in a freeware form, and in my mind is as capable of a program, however its is not compatible with this site at this time.

i guess the answer to the orginal question, why to have other programs when expertgps does it all, is that there are better (ie. more powerful) programs available.

I too started with EasyGPS. It really made my GPS more functional and less of a problem to use. I liked it so much I tried the download version of ExpertGPS. It was love at first byte. icon_biggrin.gif

Now I use ExpertGPS for everything. I even have it in my laptop, and I take it out to the park to assist in mapping.

I highly recommend you try ExpertGPS.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!