Cameras

trekmom

I think cache cameras are great, and from my experience, becoming more and more rare. Or rather, cache cameras are being found in a much smaller percentage of total caches.

This data is based on two separate multi-day cache runs where I didn't discriminate any caches. The first run, out of 35 caches, 17 had cameras. Half a year later when I did another multi-day cache run, only four or five out of 29 had cameras. I don't recall the last cache I found with a camera in it. :P

The other disappointing thing with cache cameras is that they pictures rarely get posted. Of of the 30 or so cache cameras I've encountered, only perhaps six have ever been posted online.

That said, one of my cache pictures is outlandish. The pic was posted more than a year after I found the cache, and someone sent me the link. I didn't even immediately recognize it as me, nor did I recall taking the picture.

It's posted online, but I won't send a link. :D

My two placed caches both have cameras in them. One camera is roughly 1/2 full, but the other is almost new. When they get fuller, or enough time passes, I plan to post the images.

To stay on topic. Here is my favorite posted cache camera pic:

16340_800.JPG

It's significant in that it was the last cache of Paterquest. The man to my left is Pater himself. It was the exhausting and wet end of a 5-day cache run.

In part, the log from that find reads, "Pater held out a couple sheets of paper as a makeshift umbrella while I unlatched the box and pulled out the ziplock containing the log. I made a succinct entry, and since I couldn't miss the opportunity, I grabbed the cache camera to take a picture. Someday you'll see a picture of Pater and me standing next to one another soaked head to toe, smiling."

I was right.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

Oh heck, here's another group from a cache camera that was posted:

31431_1100.JPG

Geesh.. You have me on a roll. I found this great pic (that I hadn't seen before) from a cold and rainy pre-dawn cache hunt with a good friend of mine. Heh.

5d49e171-6fb9-488f-8f19-59ed54bda120.jpg

An excerpt of my log: "We only had to walk to the cache in a steady drizzle. Heck, why not? It was 35° and 7:30 in the morning. Who wouldn't want to hike through the woods in the rain?"

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z

When I do my first Cache, I'll put one in. Photography is a hobby for me and I get stuff developed and posted right away to friends and what not. They sell waterproof disposables and I think thats the way to go. I would love to see a "photospot" type cache where you post the lat/lon and give a bearing from that for a great photo. You "find" the cache when the photo gets posted to the site. I know it'd be pretty much the same view, but under different conditions/seasons. Good Idea?

you shouldn't need a waterproof camera, don't spend the extra money. unless you plan to have your caches full of water, in which case your cache has other issues.

a regular single-use camera will be fine.

Was thinking more in terms of humidity and photos in the rain etc...they tend to be more robust...but yes more expensive. Ritz actually has disposable digitals. They don't even hook up to a computer. You have to bring it to them for "processing" to CD or prints. I don't get the point in that.

Edited by Elmer Fishpaw

the paper the digitals are printed on is the same paper most likely. and we're talking about disposables, so the quality of the two is probably about the same. you're just going to be posting them at lo-res on the site anyway, so quality isn't a huge concern. just go with whatever is cheaper/most convenient for you (that will provide sufficient results). like jaime said, there are a bunch that never made it back to the site--if it's convenient and affordable for you to do it, then you're more likely to follow through with posting them.

:D

About 1/2 my active caches have a camera in them. I LOVE to go get the pictures developed. These are usually cheap outdoor single use cameras that cost me around $3.00 each. It is incredible how good the pictures are from such cameras. I have one that sat out in the heat of summer and the cold of winter for 3 years (2 years past the expiration date on the thing) and still had terrific pictures on it. - I will post some of the better pics here later when I have a moment.

About 1/2 my active caches have a camera in them. I LOVE to go get the pictures developed.

Cool! I love those pictures too, and strongly encourage you to post them on the individual cache pages. You aren't the only one who wants to see them. I looked through some of your hides, and I may have missed it, but it appears your cache camera pics have not been posted.

Mississippi cacher (and former state leader) Pater47 has been excellent in posting cache camera photos. Most of the pics I posted were from his caches.

Jamie

Edited by Jamie Z
About 1/2 my active caches have a camera in them. I LOVE to go get the pictures developed.

Cool! I love those pictures too, and strongly encourage you to post them on the individual cache pages. You aren't the only one who wants to see them. I looked through some of your hides, and I may have missed it, but it appears your cache camera pics have not been posted.

Mississippi cacher (and former state leader) Pater47 has been excellent in posting cache camera photos. Most of the pics I posted were from his caches.

Jamie

Ok Ok.... I admit to having been lazy about posting them online - will try to do that this weekend.......

I recently received, as a gift, one of those motion-sensor activated cameras. My giftor thought I could put it out in the woods to shoot wildlife, and I will, but I knew that the winter sold would sap the batteries overnight, so I'll wait for warmer weather. I'm also thinking about placing a new cache this spring named 'Ambush', with the camera poised to shoot unsuspecting cachers. I'm afraid the camera will get 'traded for', though, which would really suck. Of course, I will use dymo lable tape to clearly mark it as a not-for-trade (or theft) item, but I know I'm taking a risk if I go through with this idea.

But here's the thing: I mentioned this to a few caching friends and a couple of them said they didn't like the idea. It's different than a camera in a cache, where they can choose to shoot themselves or not, thay said. It feels like an invasion of privacy. But I said I'll be straightforward in the cache description, and then they can choose to not seek the cache if they feel that way.

So, folks, what do you think of the Ambush cache idea? If too many agree with my friends, I'll probably shelve the idea, so I'd like to know what you all think.

Just a tip - CVS will develop the film from a disposable on disk only - if you ask. It costs about $5.00 - which is cheaper than getting prints done. That way, you don't have to get prints (if you don't want them) and you don't have to scan - all you need is a photo editor (and most XP systems include one now). As a bonus, you also get the negatives in case you would like prints made later.

Just a tip - CVS will develop the film from a disposable on disk only - if you ask. It costs about $5.00 - which is cheaper than getting prints done. That way, you don't have to get prints (if you don't want them) and you don't have to scan - all you need is a photo editor (and most XP systems include one now). As a bonus, you also get the negatives in case you would like prints made later.

This is all true, wal-mart will do the same. almost any processor will. Furthermore, although they give you back the negatives, they are rendered unnecessary since few labs are actually making optical prints from the negs. If you take them a negative they will proceed to scan it then sen the file to a digital LED printer which will print it obn high quality photo paper, just like the negative, only quicker and with a more accurate color balance. Therefore you are better off taking the disc back in to make reprints. Also the disc is copiable so you can have back-up.

But here's the thing: I mentioned this to a few caching friends and a couple of them said they didn't like the idea. It's different than a camera in a cache

I have thought about the same idea. I just thought that the element of surprise would be taken away because cachers would propbably "find" the camera while searching for the cache. Therefore, you wouldn't get the "candid" type shots you might be looking for.